We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions 1971 Pontiac Le Mans GT-37

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The GT-37, was actually the all new Tempest GT-37, which was introduced as a mid year car, so they are usually referred to as 1970 1/2 cars, sort of like the 1964 1/2 Mustangs, that are all titled as 1965 cars.

Pontiac marketed the car as the GTO for kids under 30, due to the skyrocketing insurance costs at the time. This car was Pontiacs low-cost, budget minded, entry level muscle car. The standard motor was a 350CI, two barrel V-8.

Marshall

Amigo2k

Good info!

Thanks Marshall!

GTO Man

You don’t see many, must be pretty rare. One of the Pontiac experts, John Sawruk, who recently died,was the most knowledgeable source on these cars.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would agree that these cars are rare and must of been produced in limited numbers. It would be interesting to know what the total production numbers actually were. Hemmings Muscle Machines published an article on these cars earlier this year. I will have to go back and see if there is any mention of total production. Personally, I have never seen one of these cars at any car show.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I actually bought a new GT-37 back in 1971. It also was a copper color with a a white vinyl interior, rubber floor mats, no radio, 3sp with Hurst floor shifter, 350 w/2bbl carb. That car was a lot of fun but not all that fast… I had traded in a 1966 GTO and the GT-37’s straight line performance suffered in comparison. That said, it was still very cool because even back then there were very few GT-37s anywhere to be seen. Don’t have exact production numbers but I believe Hemmings pegs them at roughly 1500 for the ’70 model and around 5000 for the ’71. One last thing… I really loved that car and would give anything to have my GT-37 today.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mauro, welcome to forum. We’re glad to have you here!

Looking back, and hindsight being what it always is, you probably would have been better off to keep the 66 GTO. That car became an icon for the mid 60s muscle cars, whereas the Pontiac LeMans GT-37 was forgotten, even with the small production numbers.

I owned a used ’71 Pontiac LeMans Sport, 350 V8, Auto trans back in the day (1975 to 1978) that I drove for several years. It was a nice sporty car with no mechanical issues whatsoever.

Marshall

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, Marshall, much appreciated.

Quite right about the GTO but back then it was just another old car and a little clapped out at that! In any case I should have kept it and the $400, immaculate, ’65 tri-power, 4 spd GTO convertible I had as well. We were awash in wonderful cars back then and I suppose the very fact that they were so plentiful induced us to take them for granted. No point in crying over spilled milk as I expect that every generation has similar stories of opportunities missed.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum mauro!

It is amazing to think that specific options or makes that were considered less desirable back when these cars were new actually make them more desirable today!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.