We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip 2013 shows – what did you like/dislike this year?

• Creator
    Topic
    moparkid25
    Participant

The $64,000 question asked every year.

I didnt go to as many shows this year as I did in years past, in part to my work schedule and other activities going on. I didnt make Pardeeville for the second year in a row, and this was the first year in many years I didnt attend Blanchardville or the Dells. I did go to some new shows that involved traveling, and thats what I enjoyed the most – seeing new places, new faces, and new cars.

I plan to do much of the same next year.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    jonmandude
    Participant

I did this year what I have always said I would, I limited my shows to just ones I really wanted to go to and not just to go to a show. So to me the fewer shows made them much more enjoyable.

Shows just take too damn much of the day. I went to a couple shows that were done before 3:00pm and I recall a couple that were only 4 hours long. That was nice.

What I still dislike is the attitudes about anything less than 10 years old. I am tired of hearing “anyone can go into a showroom and buy one of those”. Look, I can go on ebay, or any number of internet sites, and buy a classic just as easily as any modern car. There are dealers that specialize in classics, just like your local Chevy dealer specializes in Chevrolets. That argument holds no water. I think it’s safe to assume that at least half of the classics we see at the shows were purchased, just like anyone buying a new Camaro, and not built by the owner showing it so proudly. And of the ones built, many more were built by a shop and only paid for by the owner who is showing it with pride and openly accepting the compliments.

At Beaver Dam this year I understood the feeling. There were over 30 modern Mustangs and over 20 modern Challengers, and honestly most of them were not special in any way shape or form…….except to the owner. I left that show with the attitude of “do something before you show it” and thought to myself what a hypocritical thought.

I have seen enough tri-5 Chevies to last a lifetime. Sad to say, they don’t thrill me anymore. The same go with fiberglass Ford Dueces and just about any bone stock muscle car. I prefer to see some design, some custom, some originality. Does that mean I think only custom cars should be at shows? No. It means that I prefer shows be open to everybody, and I enjoy the work that I enjoy and spend very little time with what I do not…...but I respect the other points of view and want them included

If there is one thing I would like to see gone in shows….attitude. Welcome all and do not limit.

I’ll get off my soapbox now

Amigo2k

Spring Green was one of my favorites for the year. I personally like shows that are in a downtown area that you can walk to a restaurant
    1176362_10153125060310705_141931810_n.jpg

I also enjoyed the show in Albany too. Nice drive, great food, a very easy going show.

1000799_10152934337160705_73980642_n.jpg

Also I was very fortunate to be contacted by a local collector to come out for a private show and viewing of about 60 cars in the collection:
    1187241_10153198212555705_1224489920_n.jpg

And the best new show for the year was the one at Kelly Moss …

1150861_10153148412315705_1243178417_n.jpg

I think one of the big shows for 2014 will be The Hot Rod Power making it’s final stop in the Wi Dells …

FE_HRPT_Page_Slide_copy.png

GTO Man

Shows in a downtown setting are nice because there can be so much going on. There is usually a variety of restaurants to choose from and many other interesting shops also. Spring Green, Edgerton, Cars on State, are a few that come to mind. There are also shows that can be just as much fun just because of how well they are organized. The Road Apples show, Pardeevile, and Blanchardville fit into this category.

circletrack
    Participant

We didn’t go to as many shows this year either – mostly due to the weather and other commitments. Spring Green is always one of my favorite shows, the number of cars this year was simply amazing (likely due to Dennis Gage), I walked away afterwards feeling like they’ve outgrown the space and control over the number of cars and people.. Next year should be interesting for them… I also like the downtown shows, who knows maybe we’ll venture back to Edgerton sooner or later although it doesn’t sound like much has changed.

Our hands down favorite show this year was Back to the 50’s, I highly encourage everyone to put that on your “bucket list” if you haven’t attended. Where else can you see 12,000+ cars in one location? Simply amazing! The people that attend that show are so friendly, I’ve never come across any attitudes – we are looking forward to attending next year with the ’57 Chevy Steve has been working hard on the last few months.

I like to see the newer cars at shows and respect the owners behind them. Not everyone wants a 50+ year old car, or knows how to maintain it. As long as shows realize they need special classes for these cars and they should never be considered in any of the major “best of” classes, I’m good with that. The younger generation wants to be involved in this hobby too, as long as we all get along – I don’t see a problem.

It’s going to be a long winter :(

circletrack
    Participant

Oh and btw – The Road Apples appreciated the support from everyone that braved our show this year. I’m 99.9% sure it didn’t rain on another Saturday almost all summer long… we should be good with Mother Nature moving forward

jonmandude
    Participant

I am curious circletrack, why should newer cars not be considered in any major “best of show” awards. Often the newer car has as much, and often more, custom work done to it. And, as I pointed out, often the classic was purchased by the owner, not built. I can tell you I have seen many of these cars being maintained by shops and not the owners. And I know of many newer cars built, modified, and serviced by the owners. The age of the car should mean absolutely nothing. What should be considered is the quality of the work done, the way the modifications fit with an over-all theme, and the way the car shows. Now I will give you that there should not be a stock class for modern cars.

circletrack
    Participant

Jon – as stated above – I have NO problem with newer cars at shows and welcome them. I also do not surround myself with older cars that are “bought”, we build our own and always will. I know of several newer cars that have just as much work as the older ones, sometimes even more and I respect that. With that said, I’m talking about the guy that buys a car on Friday and expects to win best of show on Sunday, clearly not making any modifications or attempts to make the car his/her own, sometimes not even cleaning the car up – I’ve seen it happen too often.

jonmandude
    Participant

I agree with you 100% on that, That is why I don’t like “stock” classes for newer cars.

I also know you and many like you do your own work, as do I. But I am sure you have seen those that buy a car already built, be it a classic, street rod, or whatever and show it like they did the work, but then criticize new cars because “anyone can buy that”. It is so very hypocritical. That is the attitude I would like to see gone. Forgive me if I wasn’t clear

lordairgtar
    Participant

Jonman, I like new and old. Seeing the new at shows allows me to actually look closely at it and speak to the owner. Yes, I could go to a dealership and look, but I don’t want to be huckstered by a salesman whose only skill is selling cars and really knows nothing about them. As an owner of a “new” car, I show mine when I can and I have done some minor changes like the pin-striping my HHR Panel has. Plus you just do not see a lot of panels tah are at shows or painted Victory Red. Most of them are white or silver. Also, indeed people can go and buy a ready to show classic, but remember that the car is a bit of history and if something rare, is an excellent lesson in car history. I enjoyed most of the shows I went to whether as DJ or artist or just hanging out. As for things I did not like, well, this is not really a car show thing but there were cars shown. We went to an appearance by Danny Koker of Counting Cars….really nice guy, very genuine. Our club hosted the event at a Sears Auto Center. Now I do not know if they had their own cameramen or if they were just filming for their own benefit, but very tall camera men pushing and shoving to park themselves and their rig right in front of you just pisses me off. Myself, I’m 5’9″ and my wifey is an even 5″. Everywhere I went this clown with the camera plopped his gear in front of me and totally blocked our view. We could not escape this guy. He had a huge tripod on wheels that took more space than a fat guy flying coach. Plus the little fireplug of a guy who worked security kept bumping into people with his bulk to get people to move…..until I shoved back (snicker).

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.