We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows An Open Letter To Car Show Trophy Hunters

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

This is a great reminder as the season starts … Several years ago I tossed out over 50 trophies … Why? Well the thing that makes me smile is actually driving the cars I’ve owned and talking to folks. My 2017 car season started off yesterday when I took my car out of storage and a truck driver driving a mobile gas station (reference to Smokey and the Bandit) pulled up along side of my car and gave me a little Toot Toot from his big rig. That is what makes me smile is getting others to smile, when they see my car.

78cruisingwagon
    Participant

“This is a great reminder as the season starts … Several years ago I tossed out over 50 trophies … Why? Well the thing that makes me smile is actually driving the cars I’ve owned and talking to folks. My 2017 car season started off yesterday when I took my car out of storage and a truck driver driving a mobile gas station (reference to Smokey and the Bandit) pulled up along side of my car and gave me a little Toot Toot from his big rig. That is what makes me smile is getting others to smile, when they see my car.”

EXACTLY Amigo!! Could not of said it better myself. I just cant wait for the looks when I roll into Deadhorse the end of June !

moparkid25
    Participant

This is a great reminder as the season starts … Several years ago I tossed out over 50 trophies … Why? Well the thing that makes me smile is actually driving the cars I’ve owned and talking to folks. My 2017 car season started off yesterday when I took my car out of storage and a truck driver driving a mobile gas station (reference to Smokey and the Bandit) pulled up along side of my car and gave me a little Toot Toot from his big rig. That is what makes me smile is getting others to smile, when they see my car.

I did the same thing last fall. I kept only a few that I felt were very distinguished, or were just a cool looking award, or that had a bit of a hometown meaning to them. The rest I donated to a young fella so he could recycle them into awards for track days this year. I don’t have a specific room in my house I can store all of them in… Sure, they’re nice but I’d rather see my $10 registration go to helping someone in need, a fundraiser, or put towards a community project. As a recovering trophy monger, they don’t mean that much to me anymore. I want to enjoy my vehicle, enjoy others’ vehicles, and now that’s easier as a lot of shows are going display only.

Blue55Chevy
    Participant

I found some one that is involved with a couple of local High School shows.
    She took all the trophy’s and they will be reused. I kept a few specials, the
    ones you questioned the judges eyesight and never thought your car deserved.

I still go to shows. If they are not show only, I pay the registration and
    put a sign in the window DISPLAY ONLY.

I have no problem with people getting thrilled by the competition and
    taking a trophy. We all remember the charge of getting our first one. But
    eventually that thrill is gone. Hopefully buy that time people realize that
    there are other things like the scenic drive to the show, The smiles, looks
    and waves you get while driving through the small towns and country side. The
    friends that your always glad to see and the new friendships to be made.

I finally finish a car for my daughter and if her schedule permits we will be
    doing some car shows together this summer. Hopefully she can take a trophy or two.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.