We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows Beloit Sunday Sept. 21

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Specific Ratings (A-F):
    Arrival/Departure (easy to find, easy to leave?)
    Parking Location
    Class Organization
    Trophies & Prizes
    Food
    Entertainment
    Judging
    Dash Plaque
    Variety of Cars
    Bathrooms
    Weather
    Trophy Presentation Timing
    Entry Fee
    Overall Rating:put overall rating here

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    lordairgtar
    Participant

Specific Ratings (A-F):
    Arrival/Departure (easy to find, easy to leave?) -A… Very easy, as many cars as there are, it went smoothly
    Parking Location -A… Parking is close to swap area, I was showing, so I was on the grounds
    Class Organization -B…Cars are parked by their class specifications and seemed to work. Divided by make and years or genre (rods)
    Trophies & Prizes -B+…cute wooden crafted trophies made to resemble the trunk area of a street rod with open trunk containing a functioning clock.
    Food -C…I like my hot dogs and brats to be grilled, not boiled….bleah! Ran out to soon of diet soda and food followed shortly after.
    Entertainment -F-…Once again, the bain of DJ entertainment, 3D Sound was the company used. I had forgotten how annoying this clown is. talk talk talk talk, likes to hear himself, I think. Called some military 2 1/2 ton 6 axle troop transports; TANKS!!! Started the day jabbering about every car that drove in…everything rusty was a rat rod, anything with wide tires was a pro street. I really don’t know why they hire this guy seeing he comes all the way from Dixon Illinois. They do have a very nice system, tho.
    Judging -C…Kinda whatever trips their trigger I guess from what I heard.
    Dash Plaque -B…Got one
    Variety of Cars -A…very diverse! Everything from stock restored to the obscure. Saw a Kaiser dragon, about three Hudson Commodores, a Henney Kilowatt (electric Renault Dauphine sold in 1960) and a gaggle of Amphicars, a Packard Hawk with it’s catfish like grille.
    Bathrooms – B-…Stinky Hot porta-potties and the ones in the brick structure near the river.
    Weather – B+…Foggy in the morning but gorgeous during the rest of the day.
    Trophy Presentation Timing -A…On time and smooth
    Entry Fee -B…$10
    Overall Rating:A

Anonymous
    Inactive

This was my first year at the Beloit Autorama. Quite frankly, I was intimidated and humbled by the sheer number and quality of the cars! I did alot of walking, but there was not enough time to check out all the cars. Lots of vendors with car related parts and accessories, kind of like a miniature Jefferson show.

Judging was subjective. Whatever the judges liked, for whatever reasons, ending up with an award at the end. It did seem thought that the number of awards were limited, even though they gave away multiple awards in mosts classes. The awards themselves were very nice. I was in a classic stock class (1949 – 1985) and there had to be at least 400 or more cars in this class.

On a different note, I did get some info on a 65/66 Chevy Impala convertible that is/has been stored in a gentleman’s garage in the Madison area for the past 20 years, that just might be for sale! jumpy.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    On a different note, I did get some info on a 65/66 Chevy Impala convertible that is/has been stored in a gentleman’s garage in the Madison area for the past 20 years, that just might be for sale!

Fantastic, let us know if if you decide to take a look at the car! icon_punk.gif

circletrack
    Participant

From what I’ve heard and been told over the years, you are judged as you drive into Beloit as there is NO way they can judge that many cars in such a short time. They are also looking for specific cars, so 99.9% of the time the “plain jane, stock looking cars” typically don’t win. We didn’t attend, but I did hear Bruce & Kathy Stewart won an award! icon_applause.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, Bruce and Kathy did win in the street rod class. Congrats, as this was another extra large class with only a few awards given out.

The Beloit Evening Lions Club ran the judging for this show differently this year. There were groups of Lions walking around with clipboards all day long. It was my observation that they stopped and checked out the cars that caught their eye. For example, in the classic stock class, they stopped and looked closely at Dick Lehnherr’s Impala, asked him a few questions, and then moved on down the line of cars, skipping the next 10 or so cars. There did not appear to be any rhyme or reason. I can only assume that they were “judging/looking/selecting” the cars that caught their attention.

In regards to the Impala in the garage, we all know how these things go. The gentleman took my business card and promised to get back in touch with me this week. Maybe???? Maybe Not????

Anonymous
    Inactive

always a wonderful show with lots of variety. They are running out of room with all the cars they have been getting, as we got there later than normal we had to park our Pontiac with the corvairs. Also getting there late apparently there was someone with the same name as mine so they said that I had “already been thru”!! I think they should keep your slips there so they can double check names. We didn’t have to pay again but it was a little irritating.

moparkid25
    Participant

I didn’t attend the show, but DDhemi and myself (with the girlfriend in tow) attended the Beloit Crimestoppers Cruise Night on saturday. Many of the parking lots were full in the downtown area with muscle cars, street rods, new muscle, lowriders, etc. We were at the burnout box for at least three hours! No matter what is performing the burnie, I’m always impressed. Kinda like a trainwreck, you can’t take your eyes off it! One fox body mustang in particular decided to remove the pistons and connecting rods while the oil pan was still bolted to the block, that was cool until a chunk of metal that blasted out of the engine hit one of the crew workers in the leg taking him down for a minute. Lotsa junk doing burnouts, and ironically some of the best burnouts came from the junk. We also sat and watched the cruise. It was really a fun night! A good end to the summer, when it started to wind down I looked at my cell phone to see what time it was, and it was midnight! I had been there almost 7 hours and it went by fast. I wish every saturday night could be that fun thumbsup.gif

Marshall, you were not the only one that got some ideas for next years “new toy”, I now have a few ideas myself to seriously consider for next year and those to follow…

lordairgtar
    Participant
    Quote:
    we had to park our Pontiac with the corvairs.

With all the cars they are getting, perhaps they need to institute a year cut-off date like at WSRA CornRoast in FDL. I know that would exclude my car because it’s a 2007, but that would be the way to go.

Anonymous
    Inactive

CHANGE seems to be the buzzword for 2008.

If “change is good” in politics, then an owner who changes cars for the new year is even better!

moparkid25, what is your definition of change for 2009 and after?

Anonymous
    Inactive

We have the 05 GTO but also have 66 GTO and an 88 VW. We like th 05 cause it has amenities like air and a radio! Back to the 50’s has a cut off and so do some other shows, that might be a good idea for Beloit, tho if you looked at the Corvette section there were not a lot of old ones.
    I would not mind seeing a 20 year cut off, a car needs to be 20 years old to be a “collector” so that could be a starting point.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Susie2555, you make a good point, and I have been to some shows this year that do have a cut off. For example, no cars or trucks newer than 1988.

On the other hand, I have been to several shows that have a “future collectibles” class for the newer vehicles that will be collector cars in the future. I have seen limited edition Mustangs, new Challengers, etc. in this class. The definitions get fuzzy though when this class gets confused with “special interest” cars. I have also seen limited edition Mustangs, new Challengers, etc., in this class also.

moparkid25
    Participant
    Quote:
    CHANGE seems to be the buzzword for 2008.

If “change is good” in politics, then an owner who changes cars for the new year is even better!

moparkid25, what is your definition of change for 2009 and after?

I can’t give away all my secrets, Marshall jumpy.gif

circletrack
    Participant

And always remember if you have a cutoff at shows, say 20 years ~ you are leaving out a LOT of cars and the owners that come along with them, which like it or not is the future of car shows and car collecting. Unfortunately the cars we see today won’t be around forever and if we don’t include the younger generations and their cars, sooner or later the fun we see today could die out….

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    you are judged as you drive into Beloit as there is NO way they can judge that many cars in such a short time.

That makes sense for a show of that size because unless you have an army of judges, it would take hours to judge all those cars!! w00t.gif

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.