We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Lounge BRAKE CLEANER can KILL you. Read How.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

So can marijuana use.

Quote:
    So can marijuana use.

Nice hijack.

Thank you for adding such a helpful comment. It is true, marijuana can kill you. According to the U.S. Dept. of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration. They say the facts are “uncontroverted”:

“In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in onemarijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.”
    Click to read the text.
    Here’s the full text of Judge Young’s ruling, see page 57.

Of course, bears kill people too. :whistle: Watch out!

There are a number of cleaners and refrigerants used in the auto industry which, when burned (welding, brazing, cutting, etc.) produce phosgene gas, also known as “mustard gas”. Perhaps some of you on this board do these sorts of activities and, like me, were unaware of this danger.

Here is a interesting discussion by HVAC guys about phosgene gas.

moparkid25
    Participant
    MVRegistrationRights wrote:
    Quote:
    So can marijuana use.

Nice hijack.

Thank you for adding such a helpful comment. It is true, marijuana can kill you. According to the U.S. Dept. of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration. They say the facts are “uncontroverted”:

“In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in onemarijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.”
    Click to read the text.
    Here’s the full text of Judge Young’s ruling, see page 57.

Of course, bears kill people too. :whistle: Watch out!

There are a number of cleaners and refrigerants used in the auto industry which, when burned (welding, brazing, cutting, etc.) produce phosgene gas, also known as “mustard gas”. Perhaps some of you on this board do these sorts of activities and, like me, were unaware of this danger.

Here is a interesting discussion by HVAC guys about phosgene gas.

I’ll bet you didn’t even have to look that up.

And to touch on the subject, brake cleaner probably shouldn’t be used to clean a metal thats about to be welded anyway. Being stupid can also be reffered to as “Operator Error” :whistle:

jonmandude
    Participant

The lesson here is not about the chemical composition of the brake cleaner. The lesson is to use chemicals for what they are intended. All chemicals that are available to the general public are safe if used properly. The person in this (possibly fictional) report put himself in danger by not using chemicals properly. The danger is not the chemical itself, it is the careless stupidity of the user

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use that stuff alot……………….maybe that’s why I can’t remember $hit anymore.

You know what? I started this thread in the apparently mistaken idea that some others here might appreciate learning about a potentially lethal threat. I guess you guys are more into snide insinuations, so in the future I won’t bother.

Quote:
    The person in this (possibly fictional) report put himself in danger by not using chemicals properly.

If you’d bothered to research this, you’d learn that Steve Garn began building BMX racing frames in 1973, which is likely before some of you were born. He works with metal for a living, since 1987 as Blue Ridge Electric and Welding (BREW) , so he’s not just some dumb-ass with a torch. He not only took the time to post a warning for others, he posted his photo and contact info including telephone number too. If you care to disregard his warning, go for it.

But okay, let’s insinuate that he’s “possibly fictional” and that he is careless and stupid. Whatever.

Quote:
    I’ll bet you didn’t even have to look that up.

I guess you’d rather make this thread about pot use. As a matter of fact, I did have to look it up. But my very first Google search of “marijuana kills” turned up the links I supplied. It only took a couple minutes.

I had a much harder time actually finding any evidence that anyone has died as a direct result of ingesting the stuff however. In fact, I wasn’t able to find any at all. Perhaps you can supply this information? Or were you just blowing smoke? :silly:

Say what you want. I bet he’s not the only guy in the country using brake cleaner for purposes other than cleaning brakes. If you guys don’t see any benefit in the thread, please feel free to ignore it. You don’t have to add your sarcastic bs.

It’s too bad this forum is so un-friendly.

jonmandude
    Participant

Slow down there brother. I read your posted report and I understand what you are trying to get across, a warning. But the warning I received was not about a dangerous chemical, it was about abuse of that chemical. In the report he clearly says “I usually use carb cleaner to clean metal parts before welding..” This is using a chemical for other than it’s intended use. Why? probably because the proper chemical is more expensive. He then goes on to say that “the auto parts store was out of what I normally use so I tried brake cleaner…” Again not using a chemical for it’s intended use. Why? because he was impatient, lazy or whatever other reason to not buy the proper chemical for the job.

I appreciate your care in posting this message, but make no mistake, the chemical did not create the problem, using a dangerous, explosive chemical for other than it’s intended use was the culprit.

Yes, there is a lesson here to be learned, carelessness can harm, or kill. Use the proper chemicals for their intended use only . Do not cheap out or use “whatever is handy”. Do I feel bad that this person was harmed? Yes, but (no offense) he put it upon himself by being careless. Welding and use of chemicals, any chemicals, is dangerous. Using explosive chemicals is more so. I am sure a shop that specializes in welding supplies has a chemical for cleaning parts that is not as dangerous and does not react to welding by creating a poisonous gas. An auto parts store is not where to find this. And pulling something off of the shelf that “should work” but is not intended for this purpose is dangerous and careless. That is the point I was making.

I do not care what this guy (who is younger than I by the way) does for a living. I know many, many professionals that have developed dangerous and careless habits. His history of welding does not take away from his carelessness. In fact, it helps to prove my point that it does not matter how experienced you may be, carelessness will catch up to you. Be smart, be careful and be safe.

I am sorry that you got butthurt in this. Zac cracks jokes, hell, many of us do. Don’t be so thin skinned.

moparkid25
    Participant
    jonmandude wrote:
    I am sorry that you got butthurt in this. Zac cracks jokes, hell, many of us do. Don’t be so thin skinned.

He’s my neighbor, who talks shit about me behind my back because I live with my Dad. Apparently my living situation and finances are his business, and feels the need to send salty emails to Dwight, not knowing that DDHemi was Dwight :whistle: He’s also the same guy who shoots fireworks at my “Daddy’s House” and gets pissy when I stomp his liberal theories into the ground with aggressive facts.

Everyone on here knows I can be an asshole. I’m good at getting my point across, by any means neccessary.

Paul had his chance to be a man and talk to me when I was mowing my daddy’s ditch back before the drought, but instead he rode right by. I will say that I am not the same guy my Dad is, he’s a lot more calm and collected :whistle: I don’t put up anyone’s BS. I have a great career and have made it with no one’s help. The last thing I’ll put up with is some burnout judging me about how I live my life.

Haters Gonna Hate.

Attachments:

Jonmandude,

Thanks for a reasonable response. I read the article too, and yes, I fully agree that he was cutting corners. He admits as much. I did not advocate for the use of brake cleaner for welding.

But consider that I didn’t post the warning to a professional welding forum. I put it out there on a collector car forum. I’m 52, and when I was in school, I learned how to cut, braze, and weld metals. If they warned us then about heated brake cleaner turning deadly, I either missed it or forgot it. I own old cars, and I work on them, and I assumed others out there like me might benefit from a reminder.

If you appreciate my care in posting it but have relevant input (like your last post stressing the dangers of chemical misuse), then I suggest you might have avoided the “possibly fictional” descriptive. I’m probably as skeptical as anyone of the validity of claims made on the internet, so I admit that anything can be fake. But his website complete with address, photo, and phone number looks pretty secure, and the guy’s all over the bicycle and motorcycle web world. While it’s reasonable to describe the guy as careless, I see no reason for suggesting he or his advice are fictional.

As you wrote: “Be smart, be careful, and be safe.”. That’s all I was suggesting. It kind of got sidetracked.

Please do not worry that I got my butt hurt. I’m actually fairly thick skinned. Zac and I do not share many views as his latest post shows, and that’s fine by me.

Adios. It’s been fun.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.