We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows Bring back Rate The Show?

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

We discontinued Rate The Show due to lack of interest last year (we only had 1 review on most Rate The Show listings). We’ve seen some interest in bringing it back, but only if it will be used. Please comment in this thread if you would like to see Rate The Show brought back and if you would use it. We would also like to know which features you found most helpful:

• the ability to see an overall review (out of 5 stars) for a show
    • the ability to rate individual parts of a show (e.g. admission fee, variety cars, etc)
    • the ability to leave specific comments about the show after attending

Thanks for the input!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    US Icon
    Participant

I vote to bring it back, and bring it back just the way we used to have it. There may have only been 1 post per car show, but over time they had easily several hundred views. I looked at the archives a lot. No clue why it was in consideration to get rid of this, but it’s not my board. Thank you for requesting input.

Amigo2k

Another way to bring it back is to just create a section on the forum for “Rate the Show”. No questions. You just create a new post in that area and type up your thoughts.

moparkid25
    Participant

The “Rate The Show” area of this site was loved and hated. Some people loved the fact they could share show experiences with others, while some hated it (mostly show organizers) when criticism of an event was posted. I was an avid user of it, but last year it didn’t seem to get a lot of traffic.

What would be the difference if the RTS area wasn’t present, and members just commented on a thread that was started regarding the show? It’s kind of the same thing, just without the stars and pre-built questions (I think this is where Amigo was going with his post?)?

Gunner
    Participant

I agree with MoparKid25. If I feel like I need to comment, good or bad, about any show, I would choose to start a new thread in the forum, as opposed to going into great detail about who I loved and did not love about the show.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Thanks for all of the feedback. I agree, the forum would serve this purpose well. What are your thoughts on Rate The Show entries from previous years – is it worth importing them to the new site? Would you go back and look at them (e.g. to find out how a show was in the past), or are they not that valuable? I’ve thought about a way to migrate them, but it would be a fair amount of work so I only think it makes sense if they would be useful

US Icon
    Participant

I have been perusing this website for years. Due to some glitch in the software, nobody could register for a long time until last summer when I brought it to the attention of the management here. Anyways, I found this site years ago while researching car shows for southern Wis. I bookmarked it and visited regularly because I found the info relevant, namely the “rate the show” feature and its archives, as well as the calendar listing of upcoming shows.

As I type this, the “Rate the show” is gone and in the calendar there are only 3 events listed for the 5 month show season May-Sept.

I did not realize the time consuming effort it would take to import the RTS files. That, coupled with the lack of participation when it was up and available, makes me agree with the posts above suggesting to use the forum pages to discuss car shows. I do wish the calendar of events and car show listings was full.

From the homepage;
    Wisconsin Collector Car, LLC is the premiere source for car show information in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa. Find upcoming shows near you using our car show calendar, the most complete, comprehensive listing of car shows, cruise nights, and swap meets for the midwest. Discuss your cars, shows, restoration shops, and other topics on the forum and find local car clubs and businesses

maddog
    Participant

I vote to bring it back.
    I rated the shows that I attended as much as possible. I like it for the fact I can research a show before I go to it and pictures help also for what the grounds look like also.
    So if you have the space bring it back along with the old reviews.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

US Icon wrote:

I do wish the calendar of events and car show listings was full.

Don’t worry, the calendar will soon be as full as it normally is this time of year. There was a delay this time due to the switch to new software, so we weren’t able to add events as early in the year as we normally do.

I’m glad to hear that you’ve enjoyed using the site and our goal is to keep making it even better. A big focus for me in this upgrade was making the calendar more usable. We are kind of unique in that we have a lot of events (often 10-15+ in the summer) all on the same day. Most calendar programs, including what we used on the old site, don’t do a very good job of displaying this many events in a single day without looking cluttered or hard to navigate. I am excited about the new calendar software here because it has an elegant way of expanding to show many shows on a single day, so I think that will be helpful to people. Also, I changed the default calendar view to a week view, which I think makes sense because you’re often times interested in seeing shows in the upcoming week and don’t need to see the entire month at once (but if you want to see the month or an event list view, those are both available in the Calendar menu too).

US Icon
    Participant

Great to hear, Gari. I look forward to the updates. Thumbs up!

moparkid25
    Participant

Is there a way the old RTS could be archived for people to read even if we choose to not continue it going forward? Some of my old ratings made for good Sunday morning sermons 🙂

US Icon
    Participant

I do recall a rating of yours from the Durand Ill show, that one was epic (huge grin!) Hahaha. After I attended it, everything you wrote was true!

moparkid25
    Participant

If you thought that one was good, the admin’s should give you access to the one I wrote about a show in Reedsburg in 2009.

DDHemi has that one printed off, framed, and hanging on the trophy wall in his shop!!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Moparkid25 wrote:

Is there a way the old RTS could be archived for people to read even if we choose to not continue it going forward?

Yes, I’m working on way of importing the previous years into the new system.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Rate The Show is back! New reviews will show up as topics under the Car Shows category in the forum. Use the Add Review link under the Rate The Show menu to add a new review, or if a Rate The Show topic exists for that show already, just reply to it.

I also made a link to all of the old reviews on the old site. I will work on importing them to the new site so they load faster and fit into the new theme, but for now this will at least allow you to access them.

maddog
    Participant

YEAH !!!! Thank you for bringing it back. 🙂

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.