We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Car Clubs accepting new versions

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

There has been allot of controversy in the GTOAA about bringing in the 2004-2006 GTO’s. Many of the members did not want them included initially. Things have gotten better lately.

What are the arguments for and against welcoming owners of a newer version of a model?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    circletrack
    Participant

My feelings have always been to welcome anyone that wants to be part of the hobby, no matter how old or new their car is. Not everyone wants an older car, and on the other hand ~ not everyone can afford a new car.

In order to keep this hobby alive, the younger generation needs to be included. The owners of those cars spend just as much time and money as we do, the cars are no longer in production (making them collectors). What’s the issue? :)

lordairgtar
    Participant

The local GTO club (Original GTO Club) has excepted the new GTOs. Pontiac named them GTOs, so hence, they are actual GTOs. I like the Nova based ones myself.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had been a member of the Mustang Club of America for many, many years, but I terminated my membership with the MCA this year. It seemed to me that the focus and emphasis of this club shifted to the newer mustangs and shelbys. Owners of vintage mustangs are decreasing and the MCA was looking for growth and they found it with the newer mustangs and those that buy them. This club has experienced tremendous growth since broadening and expanding with the new Mustangs.

There is another national Mustang club, the Vintage Mustang Owners Association, and I will join this group down the road. The VMOA is not near as big or well known as the MCA, but it does serve those who own, drive or admire the vintage Mustangs, or what are called first generation cars, 1965 to 1973.

I think we need the newer cars at the shows, especially the newer Mustangs and Shelbys and all the different varieties that are available (GT’s, GT-Hs, Shelbys, Shelby GT-500s, Rousch cars, Saleen cars, etc). I really appreciate those shows that offer the Modern Muscle Class for the newer Mustangs, as well as the Camaro’s, Challengers, Chargers, etc.

lordairgtar
    Participant

I like the Mustang IIs. When you think of it, that car is closer to the original concepts that the 71-73 series. Yet this car tends to be reviled by clubs.

moparkid25
    Participant

The Dodge Charger Registry went thru this when the new 4door car came out. They refused to include the new models because they were a sedan. My feelings were that the new charger had more muscle car feel and appearance than the 76-77 Charger, which was nothing more than an uglier Cordoba. And, if performance was an issue, the new charger would out perform the old models.

I am a die-hard 2 gen Charger guy (68-70), but I wouldn’t turn away someone who shares the same interest as me.

mdunn6
    Participant

yes, i think they schould but be in separate class, but where do you start with that ?
    More cars at a show makes everyone happy

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.