Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Car washing…

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

How does everyone here do their car? What products do you use?

Here’s what I do:

– Vacuum car out
    – Polish all surfaces in car
    – Clean windows inside with chamois
    – Treat upholstery with fabric deodourant
    – Rinse car
    – Wash with hot water and Halfords car wash (adds a protective, water-repelling film upon rinsing off)
    – Rinse
    – Chamois dry
    – Apply “High Gloss” Turtlewax and buff off when dry
    – Apply original Turtlewax and buff off when dry
    – Apply black trim wax to all black bits and buff off when dry
    – Chamois wax dust off windows
    – Spray tyres with Turtlewax blackener/protector
    – Stand back and go “Whoaaaa….”

This happens every week, since I’ve got no job just now (after moving) and there’s not much else to do so the car falls victim to my boredom.

My only annoyance is that Halfords car wash. It’s damn good stuff – it really removes grime and for some reason makes the car a fair bit more shiny than ordinary washing-up liquid. It adds a film of water-repelling stuff which is fine on the paint, but it’s annoying on the windscreen because the wipers then tend to smear water instead of getting rid of it totally. I’ve tried vinegar, methylated spirits and acetone in an effort to strip it off, but it just beads and repels everything. Any ideas?

I also use the ordinary Turtlewax after the special stuff because their “high gloss” one doesn’t seem to be as effective at beading water. It’s very good at bringing the car up to a brilliant shine, though. I add the original wax afterwards to ensure complete coverage and protection. Probably not worth it, but I’ve got the time.

Anyone else have a specially-developed car-washing technique?

Cobra

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I use a Mr. Clean autowash system most the time, I love it you don’t have to dry the car.
    Once a month I do wax the car though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

take it to a place called pitstop they do the outisde and the interior wax,hoover and hubs and the obligitory clean for £5 which is very good value .

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    – Stand back and go “Whoaaaa….”

An essential task!!! :haha:

Quote:
    I use a Mr. Clean autowash system most the time, I love it you don’t have to dry the car.
    Once a month I do wax the car though.

Is that the one that supposedly dries without rubbing or something? Does it actually work?

Anonymous
    Inactive

welll they have in pitstop a huge industrial size hairdryer there and it does the trick on the top and sides of the car and the bonnet . but the rims by the wheels dont get dry so they hand dry them

Anonymous
    Inactive

It does!!! You have 3 settings on the thing, water, soapy water and filtered water for your final rinse, and the water just sheets off.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not quite as satisfying as giving your car a good rub down with a chamois leather. Easier, though!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    It does!!! You have 3 settings on the thing, water, soapy water and filtered water for your final rinse, and the water just sheets off.

Wow I’m amazed!!!! 😯

GTO Man

On our cars we go through the Meguiar’s buffing system. It is a 4 or 5 step process. That is done in the spring and it usually lasts all summer. A California duster will take the dust off. For waxing I use Meguiars Hi-Tech wax. Best I have found so far.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    On our cars we go through the Meguiar’s buffing system. It is a 4 or 5 step process. That is done in the spring and it usually lasts all summer. A California duster will take the dust off. For waxing I use Meguiars Hi-Tech wax. Best I have found so far.

It is truely an amazing wax!!! thumbsup.gif

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.