We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows Cars on State Street

• Creator
    Topic
    circletrack
    Participant

Received an email about this show today. Has anyone been to this bar or know anything about it? That’s a tough time of year, so early.

I’ve never been to a local show before that’s $15 and requires approval before you set foot at the location. Should be interesting.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

I called them about the show and posted the information. It will take place on State Street, space it limited to about 66 cars. It is $15 to register for the show and a picture is required. They will choose the cars which will participate .

Amigo2k

what day is it on?

GTO Man

It is May 12 from 10am to 5pm. They also have a website http://www.carsonstate.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am somewhat “jaded” by so-called “car shows” like this. I will apologize in advance if you should detect an attitude on my part.

First of all, I have not, will not, and will never “apply” to show my car under any circumstances. IMHO, this is a thinly disguised attempt to use the old car/collector car/antique car group for personal gain and commercial enterprise. I learned this lesson all to well last year at Tallard’s Station. I haven’t been back to Tallard’s Station since that occasion where we were charged to park on the Tallard’s Station lot so that a local jeweler could sell a few Rolex watches. And this years Rolex Watch show coming up – forget about it, I won’t be there. I’ll spend that day in my garage getting my collector car ready for a real car show.

Maybe I am overreacting here, but I feel like this state street business owner is trying to exploit the old car crowd by charging $15 for an application and opportunity to put some major money into his/her pocket. Thanks, but no thanks, I will not be a part of this.

Marshall

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I think its great that we’ll have another show locally! And to top its during May, where the only other car show around here really is Automotion. Hopefully the weather will cooperate but I’m confident that it will. Is anyone thinking about registering?

circletrack
    Participant

Marshall ~ I feel the same way you do and know exactly what you are talking about in regards to Tallards Station. I’ll never forget the year we went to their “end of the year” bash only to be charged $10 per person at the door to park in their lot and then were expected to pay outrageous prices for food and drink ~ none of which was included in the $10 fee. Awards were given out for best of this and that, but those were chosen early on and to those that put the show on (in the loop, if you want to call it that). We haven’t been back either and more than likely won’t go back. I don’t expect an award at every show I attend, the awards I like the most are those I feel are well earned and surprises. I won Best in my Class at World of Wheels in Milwaukee and I was truly SHOCKED! The competition was very fierce there, I thought my chances were slim to none.

As far as entering your car into a show, you will need to do that at the bigger shows (World of Wheels, etc.), but they have so many entries this is the only fair way to decide who’s in. It’s an honor to be chosen at an event like that.

As far as I know this is the first year for this State St. show and I would think they would want as many cars as they can get ~ one shouldn’t have to be chosen. I wonder if the event coordinator(s) have anything to do with cars or they are just looking for a way to boost business? I showed the form to a few of our club members tonight and no one seemed interested in attending, especially once we read all the regulations.

Madison should welcome any car events, it’s well known the officials are not “car friendly”.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Giving this some thought, I think the timing of this show will work with the concerns you have raised about their motivations. Since it is early in the season and we can’t be sure of weather, this may be one of those events to just go to take a look at the cars if the weather cooperates, not participate in

Anonymous
    Inactive

Circletrack,
    Thanks for your support! Most of us would welcome and support any and all old car events here in the Madison area. For example, I am really excited about the House of Horsepower Show and the Madison International Speedway Show, both later this year. But, I do have to question the motives of a state street bar that is requiring an “application” and $15 entry fee. We all know what limited parking there is on State Street on any given day and why would we want to be pre-selected to compete against one another for whatever ???????

Anonymous
    Inactive

Garibaldi, you make a good point also.

Being that the weather will be and always has been so unpredictable at this point in the year, I agree that it would be good event to watch for but not preregister for.

I guess I want to know why this business owner is “jumping on the car show wagon” and why he or she waited til the last minute to schedule an old car/collector car/antique car event.

Again, I will reinterate that I will not, under any circumstances, participate in or have any involvement in this event.

Marshall

Anonymous
    Inactive

As a follow-up to last nights postings, I just discovered that May 12th (Saturday) is the same date as the Boondocker’s Car Show in Oconomowoc/Concord.

Also, do we know if this Cars on State Street is a Show and Shine or a judged event? Also, who would do the judging? Is it possible that this event would be held in conjunction with some other activities scheduled for downtown that day, such as Maxwell Street days or Cows on the Concourse or something of this nature?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    I think its great that we’ll have another show locally! And to top its during May, where the only other car show around here really is Automotion. Hopefully the weather will cooperate but I’m confident that it will. Is anyone thinking about registering?

Don’t forget that Goodguy’s is coming to Madison this year at the Alliant Energy Center on August 17,18 and 19th…

moparkid25
    Participant

The guy who puts this on came to the roadapples meeting last night. He doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing. $15 is insane for a registration to some rinky dink car show. Blanchardville don’t charge that much! The Dells does if you don’t preregister but they get a lot of cars and it’s a two day event. I like the idea of a car show, but if it’s not WOW you shouldn’t have to send a picture and let them choose you, that takes the fun out of it. It’s just another ploy by the liberals who run that city to pick and choose what they want. I prolly won’t be there either.

icon_punk.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder! Also welcome to the forum krooser and moparkid!

More info on the Goodguy’s show here

circletrack
    Participant

As a followup to the Road Apples meeting last night, we asked who would be judging this event and were told there will be 3 judges ~ one of which will be a local Madison celebrity, more than likely from a tv/radion station… They also stated they will have room for about 75 cars, not 66 as stated in the flyer. You will get your $15 back if you don’t get “chosen”… More and more I think they are going to take the pictures they get and present them to the council for approval, but we all know you can take a really good picture of a bad car.

They freely admitted this is their first car show and they don’t know what to expect. I don’t know how many will be attending, there wasn’t much interest at our meeting. I think some are anxious about the location, weather and more.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the updated info Circletrack!

The location and timing of this show could be a win/win situation for all parties given the proper planning and preparation. I, too, would be somewhat anxious about the weather, but that is always outside of our control. I would love to show my car downtown Madison, but only under accepted and well understood circumstances.

The State Street business owners who are proposing to put on this show should have met with some of the local old car enthusiasts before announcing the show and setting up rules and guidelines that are outside the norm for a local or first time car show. It’s not too late for them to make some changes, like finding knowledgeable judges to take a look at the cars that do show up, and giving the car owners something back in return for their $15 registration fee. I wonder what they (the State Street business owners) had planned to do with the $15 they would take in from each car owner? One pick (best of show) is not enough to recognize 66 to 75 really nice cars.

Actually, I hope this show is a success and becomes an annual show that we could look forward to in years to come as one of the first shows of the new season in a hometown setting.

Marshall

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.