We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows Cars on State Street

• Creator
    Topic
    circletrack
    Participant

Received an email about this show today. Has anyone been to this bar or know anything about it? That’s a tough time of year, so early.

I’ve never been to a local show before that’s $15 and requires approval before you set foot at the location. Should be interesting.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Hopefully someone who attends will post their experience on the forum

Amigo2k

article in Saturdays paper:

State Street Classic Car Show May 12
    The Capital Times :: BUSINESS :: C8
    Saturday, April 14, 2007

The inaugural Cars on State Classic Car Show, in which State Street will be opened up to more than 50 classic cars, has been set for Saturday, May 12 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The cars will include everything from vintage Model Ts to classic muscle cars. Organizers, including Hawk Schenkel, owner of Hawk’s Bar & Grill, are looking for cars more than 25 years old.

Wisconsin football coach Bret Bielema and auto expert Matt Joseph will be among the celebrity judges.

The entry deadline is April 20. To enter a car, go to http://www.carsonstate.com or call Hawk’s at 256-4295.

Amigo2k

I checked out their website and found this in a pdf:

For a preview of the show, organizers plan to have a classic car parked on the Capitol Square for
    the Dane County Farmers’ Market the Saturday mornings of April 21 and May 5.

circletrack
    Participant

Now it’s 50 cars? First it was 66 then 75 and now 50? Weird!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I wonder what car they’ll have parked on the square

Amigo2k

I’ll see if I can swing up there this saturday to take a peak to see what car is there (and to pick up some jerky at the Farms Market).

moparkid25
    Participant
    Quote:
    article in Saturdays paper:

State Street Classic Car Show May 12
    The Capital Times :: BUSINESS :: C8
    Saturday, April 14, 2007

The inaugural Cars on State Classic Car Show, in which State Street will be opened up to more than 50 classic cars, has been set for Saturday, May 12 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The cars will include everything from vintage Model Ts to classic muscle cars. Organizers, including Hawk Schenkel, owner of Hawk’s Bar & Grill, are looking for cars more than 25 years old.

Wisconsin football coach Bret Bielema and auto expert Matt Joseph will be among the celebrity judges.

The entry deadline is April 20. To enter a car, go to http://www.carsonstate.com or call Hawk’s at 256-4295.

WTF does Bret Bieliema know about judging classic cars? Matt Joseph will pick the european he likes best because he’s not an american car guy anyhoo. Many reasons not to go to this show, #1 it sounds disappointing #2 I like to see shows judged fair (as some may know) #3 although it is a great setting for a car show, I think they went about planning it the wrong way.

I’m not going.

icon_headbang.gif

Amigo2k

does anyone know where there are going to park the cars at, seeing that State Street is 5 blocks long?

I would rather see a show downtown on a Sunday that is around the square (there was one like 12 years ago). Saturday there is already too much going on with the Farmers Market.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    does anyone know where there are going to park the cars at, seeing that State Street is 5 blocks long?

I would rather see a show downtown on a Sunday that is around the square (there was one like 12 years ago). Saturday there is already too much going on with the Farmers Market.

From what I understood it would run several blocks. That would be a disadvantage because you would have to wait for traffic to continue looking at the cars

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hate to sound like “sour grapes” again, but I think that moparkid25 makes a good point. Really, what does a head football coach know about old cars, other than what he might like personally?

I would really like to see this show succeed in coming years because it would give me (and many others) another venue to show my/our car(s), locally in the Madison area, early in the year. Maybe, just maybe, this year’s show will be a huge learning experience, and they’ll get it right next year.

Marshall

circletrack
    Participant

Let me guess ~ a red and white car Best of Show? icon_scratch.gif

GTO Man

Since they have postponed the road construction on State Street I wonder if they can handle more cars. When I talked with them they said the cars would be parked parallel to the sidewalk. It they angled them in they could fit more cars. I haven’t been up there in so long I can’t remember just how wide the street is. Around the Square would be a better venue.

Amigo2k
    Quote:
    I checked out their website and found this in a pdf:

For a preview of the show, organizers plan to have a classic car parked on the Capitol Square for
    the Dane County Farmers’ Market the Saturday mornings of April 21 and May 5.

Well I made it up to the square at about 9:30 to pick up some jerky, cheese curds and honey and I checked all the streets around the capitol and down parts of State St. and I saw no classic car promoting the show ….

circletrack
    Participant

The entries weren’t due until April 20 so unless they knew ahead of time who they wanted to showcase on the square this morning, I don’t know how they could’ve had a car up there. I don’t know of anyone that’s heard anything yet. I’d hope they let us know more than a few days in advance.

Amigo2k

Has anyone heard back from the event holders (assuming you applied for a spot)?

I heard an ad on the Radio for it today…

along with an ad for Automotion in the Dells.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.