We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows Cars on State Street

• Creator
    Topic
    circletrack
    Participant

Received an email about this show today. Has anyone been to this bar or know anything about it? That’s a tough time of year, so early.

I’ve never been to a local show before that’s $15 and requires approval before you set foot at the location. Should be interesting.

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

[img]http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/fin.JPG[/img]

[img]http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/people.JPG[/img]

GTO Man

Great pics. Allot of people working their way up and down the street. Weather was perfect, unlike today.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I have all the pictures Amigo2k and I took uploaded here. If anyone else took pictures please send them to us or upload them into the album.

moparkid25
    Participant

I’m glad it didn’t bomb as bad as I thought it would.

However, I’ll be damned if I want my car in the midst of all those walking down the street, bikes, rollerbladers, etc. I agree that many probably didn’t adhere to rules of the car shows, but most who frequent that area don’t realize the effort it takes to keep a vehicle in show condition.

I’m not defending them, I’m the first one to make a little kid cry when they touch my car, or drip ice cream on it, or there parents touch it.

icon_headbang.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Lots and lots of spectators. I would have to say it was a success. I wish they would have started setting up earlier, though. Also, they had the cars parked on one side of State Street. I would have preferred seeing them parked at an angle in the middle of the street, but mayb there were safety reasons why they couldn’t do that. One of the event organizers also suggested that the show would become annual and given its success, they could see it growing.

That is unusual for a car show, I guess they wanted to give the cars enough room to get out when they decided to leave. Its too bad State Street isn’t wider, it would be cool to have them lining both sides.

Amigo2k

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=6681

another article, which includes some links to more photos and blogs on the show.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I read all these comments for the first time today. I did not have a chance before because I was busy putting together a car show! “Cars on State” was my idea. I am saddened and appalled at all the criticisms, complaints and snide comments directed at our show. We wanted to put together a fun event that car owners and spectators could both enjoy. We seem to have succeeded quite well despite our alleged incompetence. To those who did have a car in our show, thank you. To all the spectators that came I thank you also. All of you made our show a tremendous event.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wouldn’t be too discouraged by some of the negative comments leading up to the show. I think it is human nature to have a fear of the unknown. Also, this is the Internet, which makes it easy for some people to be critical.

I think the show was very well done. It was a very nice representation of cars and for a first-year show, I think it created quite the buzz downtown. The businesses on State Street should be happy. My only complaint was a selfish one; I wish the cars had begun setting up around 7:00 a.m. instead of 9:00 a.m. It is easier to photograph cars when the sun is low on the horizon than when it is high in the sky. Cars are huge reflective surfaces and when the sun is high in the sky it is easy to “blow out” the highlights in an image. But again, that was only a personal complaint. Beyond that it was a good show and seemed very well organized.

circletrack
    Participant

I’m glad your show went well also and was one that criticized your event. In the local shows I’ve been attending for years not once have I paid ahead of time and had to be “approved” before my tires hit the pavement in that event. This is normally reserved for some of the bigger, touring events which I’ve also been part of. I know some also felt if they were going to pay $15 (the normal fee at shows is less than $10) they wanted to be judged fairly and not be coaches or the like.

All in all, I think many had no idea what to think and were pleased your show went well. Madison typically is not a car friendly town and never will be, so my hats off to you for showcasing that collector cars have a place in Madison.

I know you received positive feedback and wish you well in future events.

Anonymous
    Inactive

By the way, welcome to the forum, Not A Madison Liberal

I responded to your PM.

I, too, am one who had serious concerns about your show. You are to be congratulated on the success of this show. I understand that it was a huge success.

I certainly apologize if you found my postings to be “arrogant” rantings. My intent was to offer positive criticism and suggestions about how other shows at other times at other locations handled registration, application, fees, judging, etc.

Marshall

Anonymous
    Inactive

First of all a sincere thank you for the posts and PM notes. Please understand that Thursday morning I still had a smile on my face from Saturday and felt great. After reading all five pages of this forum my smile was gone and I felt like I had been kicked in the gut. Some of the comments were very nasty and totally uncalled for. I understand there have been some misunderstandings about this show and even though it is after the fact I would like to try and clear them up. The entry fee was not based on what other car shows collect but was to help cover some of the cost of paying Madison Metro to take their buses of State Street for several hours on Saturday. Madison Metro’s fee is fair and is there to help them recover lost revenue. Another complaint I see is that some were offended that we asked for a picture of thier car. When we first received permission from the city to use State Street we were told the 500 and 600 blocks would not be available due to construction. That left the 100 through 400 blocks. That is room for aproximately 60 cars. Should we have just taken the first 60 cars that entered? What is you are a Ford guy/gal and the first 60 entries were all Corvettes? Would you go to the show? What if you are a Chevy guy/gay and the first 60 entries were Mustangs? (My personal favorite by the way) Would you go to that show? We wanted as many different years, makes and models as we could fit on the street. In the middle of this the city cancelled the construction and we did get to use all of State Street. Even with 99 spots we still had to turn away almost 50 cars. If your car was not selected it was not because it wasn’t good enough. It was because we already had one ot two cars that were very similar to yours. I think we ended up with an amazing variety of cars. That was our goal. I also read that we should have consulted local car enthusiasts for advice. I looked all over this website and there is no icon for “Car Show Advice” to click on. Once we recieved the official approval for this show the first thing I did was post the info on this website. You all knew how to contact me. Why didn’t anyone call or email and ask us if we could use a little friendly advice? Apparently it was easier to sit on the sidelines and make cracks like “Typical left wing event” (thank you for helping me come up with an allias moparkid25)!

As a board member of the Greater State Street Business Association I suggested a car show because I love cars. I have loved cars all my life. I had the oportunity to put cars back on State Street, if only for one day a year, and it turned out great. We were very lucky to have great cars and great weather. We look forward to doing it again next year. This year we put this show together in less than five months. We did the best we could with the resources we had available to us. If you have some suggestions for future shows please let me know. Thank you!

GTO Man

There is a great article on the Cars-on-State show in Old Cars Weekly this week.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Is there a link to it online?

GTO Man
    Quote:
    Is there a link to it online?

It is in the paper I receive, I will see if I can find an online link.

moparkid25
    Participant
    Quote:
    First of all a sincere thank you for the posts and PM notes. Please understand that Thursday morning I still had a smile on my face from Saturday and felt great. After reading all five pages of this forum my smile was gone and I felt like I had been kicked in the gut. Some of the comments were very nasty and totally uncalled for. I understand there have been some misunderstandings about this show and even though it is after the fact I would like to try and clear them up. The entry fee was not based on what other car shows collect but was to help cover some of the cost of paying Madison Metro to take their buses of State Street for several hours on Saturday. Madison Metro’s fee is fair and is there to help them recover lost revenue. Another complaint I see is that some were offended that we asked for a picture of thier car. When we first received permission from the city to use State Street we were told the 500 and 600 blocks would not be available due to construction. That left the 100 through 400 blocks. That is room for aproximately 60 cars. Should we have just taken the first 60 cars that entered? What is you are a Ford guy/gal and the first 60 entries were all Corvettes? Would you go to the show? What if you are a Chevy guy/gay icon_scratch.gif and the first 60 entries were Mustangs? (My personal favorite by the way) Would you go to that show? We wanted as many different years, makes and models as we could fit on the street. In the middle of this the city cancelled the construction and we did get to use all of State Street. Even with 99 spots we still had to turn away almost 50 cars. If your car was not selected it was not because it wasn’t good enough. It was because we already had one ot two cars that were very similar to yours. I think we ended up with an amazing variety of cars. That was our goal. I also read that we should have consulted local car enthusiasts for advice. I looked all over this website and there is no icon for “Car Show Advice” to click on. Once we recieved the official approval for this show the first thing I did was post the info on this website. You all knew how to contact me. Why didn’t anyone call or email and ask us if we could use a little friendly advice? Apparently it was easier to sit on the sidelines and make cracks like “Typical left wing event” (thank you for helping me come up with an allias moparkid25)!
    Glad I could help you in some way…
    As a board member of the Greater State Street Business Association I suggested a car show because I love cars. I have loved cars all my life. I had the oportunity to put cars back on State Street, if only for one day a year, and it turned out great. We were very lucky to have great cars and great weather. We look forward to doing it again next year. This year we put this show together in less than five months. We did the best we could with the resources we had available to us. If you have some suggestions for future shows please let me know. Thank you!

First off, allow me to apologize…..for missing this for over a month and not getting to cock back off about your show.

Like everyone else, I’m glad to see that your show went well. Hell, I’m glad to see any car show go well the first year! But it was your first year, and it was a success, so get off your soapbox because your not the only person to ever put a car show on. Two years ago I put together a car show for a business here in my left wing liberal town. Granted, there were about 30-35 cars although there was room to accomodate 50-60. I put everything into place, I came up with a participant voting ballot, I came up with the classes, I went to every sponsor in town and got a donation for trophies, I designed the trophies, and I ran the show….WHOOPIDEEDOO! I also put the whole thing together in two months, does this mean maybe I have too much free time? At that time maybe I did icon_cheesygrin.gif

The point I’m trying to make is, no matter what you do, how you do it, or how many great reviews you get your not gonna please everyone. I’m sure I pissed at least one person off the day of the show I did. People get pissed off shows when they don’t get there way, they feel they got jipped, and like it was said in a previous post people are scared of new things. I totally agree that the pre-reg picture and $15 fee were a little out of line, but hey if other people were like and thought it was BS, they didn’t even send a ballot in.

The one thing that would have driven me nuts had I had a car down there to show is all the people bunched together on the sidewalks and in the street (not to mention the chance of a meth addicted bum trying to sleep in my back seat). I went to a show one time where this drunk lady literally fell into the side of my car because she couldn’t stand up. Talk about wanting to kick her ass! A lot of hard work goes into these cars, along with a sense of brand loyalty, passion, and freedom. Even if something bad happened to some whatever import rice rocket at a show I would be mad, even though I hate imports. It’s the principle of the matter.

Hopefully next year you won’t take people’s concerns and comments as a kick to the ass, everyone is giving there two cents to help you succeed, I believe the term is “Constructive Criticism.”

icon_headbang.gif

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.