We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Clones or Originals?

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

What a worthy topic as Barrett-Jackson continues into the weekend. We have been seeing many clone cars auctioned, and some are going for more than originals!!! A good example of this was a 67 Belvedere GTX originally a 440 but this had a 426 Hemi in it. It went for $110,000. Later there was a 68 GTX stock Hemi and it went for around $62,000. I’m a bit suprised about this, what would you prefer and why?

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

What do you think about ratrods?

jonmandude
    Participant

Rat Rods Rock. They are the true classic hot rods. Nothing is more of realistic example of the beginning of the hobby than Rat Rods.

Now about clones. This is a subject I have considered for my car. For me it all depends on the numbers. If your classic muscle car has all of the original components, keep it so. If it has a different engine than original, clone it. There is only two real ways to hold value in the muscle cars, all original and clones. For me I had the first thought on my baby to do a tube subframe, air ride, big brakes and a 528 hemi. But then I discovered that all numbers match so why destroy a piece of history? Adding performance is allowed, as long as you keep the original parts in a bag and all add-ons are bolt on.

But that is one of the beauties of the car hobby, it is yours let it reflect your feelings. If you consider value and collectablity, then retsore to stock. If you want a balls-out tire burner, build it. Just enjoy your baby.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    But that is one of the beauties of the car hobby, it is yours let it reflect your feelings. If you consider value and collectablity, then retsore to stock. If you want a balls-out tire burner, build it. Just enjoy your baby.

Exactly. That really is what makes the hobby great and gives it longevity. Everyone has their own specific taste and tastes which evolve as the years go by.

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.