We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Cracking Down on Cruisin’ the Wash….

• Creator
    Topic
    circletrack
    Participant

Cruising East Wash (and the Capitol Square) has been going on for years, many years. I know my parents did it, Steve & I spent many weekends uptown and the tradition continues to this day. It’s been a long time since I was on East Wash., times have changed and it’s no longer the friendly atmosphere it once was and a chance to check out the cars and see what everyone’s driving. I understand the need for enforcement, but does it have to go to this extreme? I imagine most of the citations and warnings were kids in their newer cars, wonder what would happen if we brought one of our classics up for the night? Would we face harrassment also? :huh:

Cops crack down on cruisers, dozens ticketed on East Wash
    The Capital Times — 4/23/2009 11:51 am

Cruising took a bruising last weekend on East Washington Avenue.

Madison police teamed up with the Wisconsin State Patrol to write more than 110 citations and issue more than 50 warnings to drivers cruising up and down Madison’s main east-side drag.

The East Washington Safety Initiative, so named by the cops, was the first of the warm weather season, with more to come.

“Not only are most of the activities dangerous and pose significant safety concerns, they also reduce the quality of life for residents living within the East Washington corridor,” said Sgt. Jason Sweeney of Madison’s north district.

While cruising is considered a “traditional” American pastime, made popular in the movie “American Graffiti,” it also results in speeding, reckless driving, racing, disturbances, fights, noise problems, littering, loitering, etc.

Most of the 56 citations written Friday night and 57 citations on Saturday night were for speeding, running through red lights, or having amplified or defective mufflers.

Thirty-three warnings were issued on Friday night and 20 warnings on Saturday night.

Police from the north and east districts worked the initiative with help from state troopers.

“The project was a huge success,” Sweeney said. “It had a huge impact on behavior this past weekend.”

It wasn’t known when the next cruiser crackdown will take place.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

It seems like this makes the news every couple of years. I can remember 15 years ago when I was in High School the cops would monitor the cars and if they saw your car more then 3 times drive by the same spot they would give you a ticket. Back in the early 60’s my Dad was doing the same thing but the cruising route went around the Capitol.

Let’s hope their next sting doesn’t happen during the weekend of the Hot Rod Power Tour!

GTO Man

Doesn’t the Barney Fife Patrol have anything better to do. Like maybe catching some of the real criminals that have invaded this pathetic city.

jonmandude
    Participant

GTO Man wrote:

Quote:
    Doesn’t the Barney Fife Patrol have anything better to do. Like maybe catching some of the real criminals that have invaded this pathetic city.

EXACTLY!! Cruising takes a higher priority than drug enforcement? I firmly believe that the State Patrol could/should be eliminated and the money should be spent actually enforcing the laws that involve REAL CRIME. I agree that reckless driving should be handled but when did anyone doing 10 miles over the speed limit on an empty highway actually pose a threat to life at the level that it seems to be enforced? With gas prices at a never-ending flux, Why does our tax dollars continue to go towards an officer sitting on the side of the road, waiting to harass (generally) law abiding citizens when REAL criminals can sell drugs to our children?

Here’s a message to our lovely police force…Go solve a crime and arrest a criminal. Let us enjoy our hobby without harassment. A loud exhaust never hurt anyone.

mdunn6
    Participant

Yes, same thing happened in janesville WI, we cruised the circuit ( Down town)& they put the stop to that with all the tickets given out.when my son started driving they move it to milton ave by the mall & same thing.It is all abought the $.Would rather have them crusing and into cars than board and getting into real trouble, stealing, drugs,drinking, ECT.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The police wonder why they have a hard time getting any respect.

Way to go Madison, really nothing else going on around town, no drugs, violent offenders, anything like that to worry about. Ya, go harrass the kids on the Wash.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would think that this “enforcement initiative” would be more effective and have a greater impact on public safety if it was focused on the beltline, instead of East Wash. When was the last time you drove on the beltline from say, Stoughton Road to Mineral Point, and had a pleasant, positive experience? Posted speeds and common courtesy are meaningless on the beltline, especially during rush hours and all day Saturday and Sunday. Also, when was the last time any news report indicated that over 100 tickets were issued on the beltline in a 48 hour period? Personally, I would support a full time enforcement initiative on the beltline, to include random check points for intoxicated drivers.

I guess that MPD and WSP are more concerned about visibility and writing tickets to young folks who like to cruise, than “taking a bite out of crime”.

Marshall

Xman
    Participant

Amigo2k wrote:

Quote:
    It seems like this makes the news every couple of years. I can remember 15 years ago when I was in High School the cops would monitor the cars and if they saw your car more then 3 times drive by the same spot they would give you a ticket. Back in the early 60’s my Dad was doing the same thing but the cruising route went around the Capitol.

Let’s hope their next sting doesn’t happen during the weekend of the Hot Rod Power Tour!

They had a “STING” last night on the Wash, at hwy 30, Cop was sitting in lawn chair with his radar gun, in front of the Capitol Ford Cars sales place. This was at 3:30ish. They were targeting incoming cars so be careful if you have to drive through there..
    👿

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

Yep, I had just got my car out of the shop and was taking it home (which was the first day I have actually driven it this year) and got stopped. Then a second cop pulled up and they proceeded to do a drug test on my car…pulling out interior paneling, etc. Over an hour later they issued me a ticket for exhaust and left me to put my car back together.

The city of Madison is about as rediculous as can be, and their police force is no exception. It would be nice if they would patrol the beltline or actually stop the crime on west wash area (like all the drugs, hookers, etc.). Heaven forbid they actually do some real police work.

jonmandude
    Participant

MMRJR wrote:

Quote:
    I would think that this “enforcement initiative” would be more effective and have a greater impact on public safety if it was focused on the beltline, instead of East Wash. When was the last time you drove on the beltline from say, Stoughton Road to Mineral Point, and had a pleasant, positive experience? Posted speeds and common courtesy are meaningless on the beltline, especially during rush hours and all day Saturday and Sunday. Also, when was the last time any news report indicated that over 100 tickets were issued on the beltline in a 48 hour period? Personally, I would support a full time enforcement initiative on the beltline, to include random check points for intoxicated drivers.

I guess that MPD and WSP are more concerned about visibility and writing tickets to young folks who like to cruise, than “taking a bite out of crime”.

Marshall

They aren’t concerned with visibilty. They are only concerned with revenue. Don’t fool yourself, this is no different than a school bully demanding your lunch money. They have a little power and are abusing it. Organized crime did this in the 1920’s when they charged people in neighborhoods for “protection”. It was called extortion. Is this any different really. They say they are worried about public safety.

The number two reason for accidents in this country is people driving too slow. When was the last time obstruction of traffic was enforced for that?

All of this is revenue, nothing more. tickets for a few miles over the speed limit is a way to raise money. Tickets for “amplified exhaust” are a way to make money. Tickets for “cruising” are a way to raise money. this is not about safety or enforcing laws, it is taxation, nothing more.

If you or I were to issue tickets for any of these things and demand payment (as the police do) we would be arrested for extortion. Try it. The next time a young person drives by your house with a car that you don’t like, stop them, and at gun point demand money. Maybe even take their car apart like eclipse tuner had happen.

Is this really making the quality of life better in Madison?

Amigo2k

Eclipse_Tuner wrote:

Quote:
    Yep, I had just got my car out of the shop and was taking it home (which was the first day I have actually driven it this year) and got stopped. Then a second cop pulled up and they proceeded to do a drug test on my car…pulling out interior paneling, etc. Over an hour later they issued me a ticket for exhaust and left me to put my car back together.

That is messed up!

I’m picking my car tonight and I have collector plates to put on it (don’t ask me why 4 years ago I bought normal plates for it…) and I’m thinking about taking a chance and just driving it home without changes the tags but keeping the new plates and registration in the car with me….

circletrack
    Participant

Eclipse_Tuner wrote:

Quote:

The city of Madison is about as rediculous as can be, and their police force is no exception. It would be nice if they would patrol the beltline or actually stop the crime on west wash area (like all the drugs, hookers, etc.). Heaven forbid they actually do some real police work.

Wow, don’t they have to have something to go on in order to do a drug test and pull the car apart like that? I’d be mighty ticked off! :angry:

lordairgtar
    Participant

Jonmandude hit the nail on the head. It’s about revenue. Arresting burglars, assaulters, abusers, hookers and drug dealers and pimps is not going to fill the city’s treasure room. Putting actual people in jail costs money. Find the aldermen and other elected officials who support such actions and vote them out. We must remind the police commission why we pay them…and it is not to harass otherwise law abiding citizens who are out enjoying their legally acquired and enjoyed automobiles.

jonmandude
    Participant

I just contacted channel 5 news, urging them to do a report on this from our perspective. Our voice needs to be heard. This is a subject that has to be addressed getting all car enthusiasts involved. I urge all of you to contact channel 5 as well, and ask your friends to do the same.

If anyone has any ideas, I would also like to try to arrange a mass car cruise to the capitol, much like the bikers did many years ago to repeal the helmet law.

moparkid25
    Participant

I went to East Wash tonight…nothing but crickets. There were some imports around, nothing to brag about. A couple older trucks and a late 70’s Firebird, thats all I saw.

The city did a great job with there scare tactics to keep people off the street. Residents of Madison: this is the Liberal Government you have voted to office for years! If everyone was cruising in a Prius, or it was mass bicycles there would be no problem. Like others have said, the traffic initiative has taken police from stopping real criminals to becoming something resembling a modern day gestapo.

I’ll stop here. Jon, keep me posted on what happens with the media.

GTO Man

The Police have their priorities mixed up, of course this whole city does. Good idea about contacting the media, the more people that do the better.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.