We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Cracking Down on Cruisin’ the Wash….

• Creator
    Topic
    circletrack
    Participant

Cruising East Wash (and the Capitol Square) has been going on for years, many years. I know my parents did it, Steve & I spent many weekends uptown and the tradition continues to this day. It’s been a long time since I was on East Wash., times have changed and it’s no longer the friendly atmosphere it once was and a chance to check out the cars and see what everyone’s driving. I understand the need for enforcement, but does it have to go to this extreme? I imagine most of the citations and warnings were kids in their newer cars, wonder what would happen if we brought one of our classics up for the night? Would we face harrassment also? :huh:

Cops crack down on cruisers, dozens ticketed on East Wash
    The Capital Times — 4/23/2009 11:51 am

Cruising took a bruising last weekend on East Washington Avenue.

Madison police teamed up with the Wisconsin State Patrol to write more than 110 citations and issue more than 50 warnings to drivers cruising up and down Madison’s main east-side drag.

The East Washington Safety Initiative, so named by the cops, was the first of the warm weather season, with more to come.

“Not only are most of the activities dangerous and pose significant safety concerns, they also reduce the quality of life for residents living within the East Washington corridor,” said Sgt. Jason Sweeney of Madison’s north district.

While cruising is considered a “traditional” American pastime, made popular in the movie “American Graffiti,” it also results in speeding, reckless driving, racing, disturbances, fights, noise problems, littering, loitering, etc.

Most of the 56 citations written Friday night and 57 citations on Saturday night were for speeding, running through red lights, or having amplified or defective mufflers.

Thirty-three warnings were issued on Friday night and 20 warnings on Saturday night.

Police from the north and east districts worked the initiative with help from state troopers.

“The project was a huge success,” Sweeney said. “It had a huge impact on behavior this past weekend.”

It wasn’t known when the next cruiser crackdown will take place.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    jonmandude
    Participant

I have said it before and I will say it again.

I do not understand why everyone calls Madison “liberal”. By all definition it is not. Madison is the most conservative city I have ever lived in, and I have lived in quite a few. Unless it is marijuana, homosexuality, abortion, or a bicycle, they want it outlawed.

moparkid25
    Participant

jonmandude wrote:

Quote:
    I have said it before and I will say it again.

I do not understand why everyone calls Madison “liberal”. By all definition it is not. Madison is the most conservative city I have ever lived in, and I have lived in quite a few. Unless it is marijuana, homosexuality, abortion, or a bicycle, they want it outlawed.

:laugh: :laugh:

Now if they only had that train for the commuters…

I’ve been cruising East Wash since I was 16. It’s a popular metting spot for many people of all ages on friday and saturday nights. I won’t even get into how many chick’s I’ve met up there over the years… :whistle: I always found it entertaining. I will admit, it has lost some of its mystery in the last few years, due to the construction. Also the times change- when I started going up there it was all muscle cars, now its a lot of newer American V8’s and rice. A lot of it is still fast, there’s still people racing on the street, people are still getting kicked out of parking lots (and the taco bell), but somehow everyone still has a good time!

Jon, I say we schedule a mass cruise night up there. Maybe around Power Tour time?

jonmandude
    Participant

You know I got on madisonstreetcar.com and did a “rally the troops” type thread to try to see what kind of backing I could get to start a mass cruise on the capitol (like the bikers did years ago to repeal the helmet law and like the pro-pot people do every year). I got told to “shut up” and was met with nothing but, what felt like, fear. It seems as tho all of the import crowd is afraid to speak up for fear of being noticed by the police. “we don’t dare get together as a group so they can ticket us all. Let’s just put our heads in the sand and hope they don’t notice us”.

My biggest fear is that Madison decides that the next step is to do what they do in California. Pull over any car that may be modified, inspect it, and if anything is not stock, impound it to be destroyed. I don’t want my freedom to enjoy this hobby taken away. But I can’t stand alone and the ones that need to speak up won’t. So screw it. Let the police do what they want and when the Gestapo start impounding cars, I will laugh and say “see maybe you should have done something back then”

Anonymous
    Inactive

jonmandude wrote:

Quote:
    You know I got on madisonstreetcar.com and did a “rally the troops” type thread to try to see what kind of backing I could get to start a mass cruise on the capitol (like the bikers did years ago to repeal the helmet law and like the pro-pot people do every year). I got told to “shut up” and was met with nothing but, what felt like, fear. It seems as tho all of the import crowd is afraid to speak up for fear of being noticed by the police. “we don’t dare get together as a group so they can ticket us all. Let’s just put our heads in the sand and hope they don’t notice us”.

My biggest fear is that Madison decides that the next step is to do what they do in California. Pull over any car that may be modified, inspect it, and if anything is not stock, impound it to be destroyed. I don’t want my freedom to enjoy this hobby taken away. But I can’t stand alone and the ones that need to speak up won’t. So screw it. Let the police do what they want and when the Gestapo start impounding cars, I will laugh and say “see maybe you should have done something back then”

I am in that website also. Don’t know if you read my post and reply to you but when I saw you post there I knew you where doomed from the start. The website doesn’t like people popping in and throwing up stuff without intros. It takes awhile to get any established respect there.

Think of it as walking into a new bar and telling everyone there your stories when no one knows who you are. It won’t be recieved well.

You raised good points, just without any knowledge of who you are they pounced on you.

Wash is discussed regularly on there, we had a heads up the cops where coming out in force and most decided to aviod the area that weekend. Most also know things are changing and try to keep the ass hats out of the Wash, but that small minority will be what destroys it.

circletrack
    Participant

Does there seem to be a wee bit of hositility on that website? Everyone seems angry?! ;)

jonmandude
    Participant

thanks for the insight lilwillie. I was shocked when I got the “we don’t know you” comments. Who gives a rats behind about who is talking about a subject, it is the subject that is important, not the person. we here understand that, we are adults. They come across as children. And that is exactly why the police are able to do this. They know that children won’t speak up. They know that children won’t band together and stand up for themselves or others. The police are singling out the import group because they are children. If any classics go to East Washington, they are not hassled. The police won’t risk it.

As I said on that forum, I agree that the street racing HAS to stop. Same with the running red lights and reckless driving. But the gestapo tactics, of pulling people over for exhaust and tints simply to harass, should not be tolerated.

My idea was to get attention, to get the media to notice so an avenue would open up to get that out. To say “Hey we support you making the city safer, just don’t go too far. Let us have our hobby”.

The pot smokers have done an excellent job of getting the police to give them concessions. They are allowed to have small amounts of marijuana without hassle. And pot is federally illegal. The cigar smokers are trying to get concessions in the smokin gban for them. They are trying to get legislature to allow them their rights. Why can’t the car community get concessions?

My exhaust, by the letter of the law is illegal (as well as anyone here who doesn’t have a stock exhaust). But it is not as loud as buses, or Harley’s, or even lawn mowers. My tint is within legal limits. Yet If I were to drive my car, and get noticed by a cop wanting to be part of this “enforcement initiative’ I will be hassled. The law needs to be looked at. It is subjective at best. Can they establish acceptable decible limits?

Amigo2k

I took my car out for a ride this afternoon and there was a cop sitting in a lawn chair on the Tenny park bridge. So right as you reached the top of the bridge BANG they get you! No ticket for me, since I was around the speed limit…..

moparkid25
    Participant

I don’t think the fuzz will leave you alone if you’re driving a classic, or a truck, or a new era muscle car- every ticket is more $$$ for the city. Trust me, I’ve been pulled over on east wash for BS driving all the above.

Reckless driving and running red lights should be enforced. Also, passengers riding in the back of trucks should be outlawed-its just outright unsafe. What you do on your farm is your business, but don’t do it in town. Exhaust and tint are two easy outs for the 5-0, they bust any car they can for that. I say if they are going to worry about that, then they need to start writing tickets to the hippies driving 20 year old toyota’s that are burning oil like there heating a house. Or the plant lady with the rusty subaru that drops chunks of 1/4 panel everytime she goes over the railroad tracks…

As far as MSC.net goes, it sounds like the majority of the members should be extra’s on 90210. I’ve heard its a younger generation over there… Guys like Jon, Willie, and myself understand how the world works because we’re a lil bit older than the majority. However, its not really cool to attack a new member with good intentions.

I still say we organize. To quote Eazy E, F— Da Police.

Anonymous
    Inactive

jonmandude wrote:

Quote:
    thanks for the insight lilwillie. I was shocked when I got the “we don’t know you” comments. Who gives a rats behind about who is talking about a subject, it is the subject that is important, not the person. we here understand that, we are adults. They come across as children. And that is exactly why the police are able to do this. They know that children won’t speak up. They know that children won’t band together and stand up for themselves or others. The police are singling out the import group because they are children. If any classics go to East Washington, they are not hassled. The police won’t risk it.

As I said on that forum, I agree that the street racing HAS to stop. Same with the running red lights and reckless driving. But the gestapo tactics, of pulling people over for exhaust and tints simply to harass, should not be tolerated.

My idea was to get attention, to get the media to notice so an avenue would open up to get that out. To say “Hey we support you making the city safer, just don’t go too far. Let us have our hobby”.

The pot smokers have done an excellent job of getting the police to give them concessions. They are allowed to have small amounts of marijuana without hassle. And pot is federally illegal. The cigar smokers are trying to get concessions in the smokin gban for them. They are trying to get legislature to allow them their rights. Why can’t the car community get concessions?

My exhaust, by the letter of the law is illegal (as well as anyone here who doesn’t have a stock exhaust). But it is not as loud as buses, or Harley’s, or even lawn mowers. My tint is within legal limits. Yet If I were to drive my car, and get noticed by a cop wanting to be part of this “enforcement initiative’ I will be hassled. The law needs to be looked at. It is subjective at best. Can they establish acceptable decible limits?

Well put.

madisonstreetcars is made up of a younger crowd. They are good kids though, just jump the gun a little too quickly when new people such as yourself come in and rattle cages.

They didn’t know you, so you’re suspect until they do. What you did do though is get a conversation going and made more of them aware that it isn’t just their website that is noticing the changes in attitude towards our hobby. Which is a good thing.

jonmandude
    Participant

lilwillie wrote:

Quote:
    They didn’t know you, so you’re suspect until they do. What you did do though is get a conversation going and made more of them aware that it isn’t just their website that is noticing the changes in attitude towards our hobby. Which is a good thing.

Noticing is one thing, action is another.

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

Im all for action.

Yes the import crowd has gotten a bad rap…mainly for a lot of young kids being incredibly stupid. However it has stereotyped the group as a whole and the madison cops are on that bandwagon. And that makes it incredibly frustrating for the younger car crowd to have any incentive to get involved in the scene.

I mean, why would kids want to be involved in a scene where a pair of cops tear apart an interior that took 2 weeks to fabricate and cost a couple grand?..all without any real reason (i dont do or transport drugs, so there would be no reason for suspicion).

Madison has this self-righteous mentality that it is the world’s Pleasantville…when in fact is is far from it. Yes, there are some liberal trends that are due to it being a major college town…but the government here is anything but liberal. If it upsets the “established order” it is deemed bad…which is exactly what they are doing with the anti-cruising campaign.

Xman
    Participant

Eclipse_Tuner wrote:

Quote:
    Im all for action.

Yes the import crowd has gotten a bad rap…mainly for a lot of young kids being incredibly stupid. However it has stereotyped the group as a whole and the madison cops are on that bandwagon. And that makes it incredibly frustrating for the younger car crowd to have any incentive to get involved in the scene.

I mean, why would kids want to be involved in a scene where a pair of cops tear apart an interior that took 2 weeks to fabricate and cost a couple grand?..all without any real reason (i dont do or transport drugs, so there would be no reason for suspicion).

Madison has this self-righteous mentality that it is the world’s Pleasantville…when in fact is is far from it. Yes, there are some liberal trends that are due to it being a major college town…but the government here is anything but liberal. If it upsets the “established order” it is deemed bad…which is exactly what they are doing with the anti-cruising campaign.

It is just like when some of us were kids cruising the square, there are always a handful of idiots that screw it up for everyone else. Bringing out Mom’s car and trying to melt the tires. I must say it may have been a bit easier to melt the one rear tire on Mom’s Big Block station wagon in the early 70’s..:woohoo:

moparkid25
    Participant

Eclipse_Tuner wrote:

Quote:
    Im all for action.

Not to get off subject, but why did you allow them to search your vehicle? It’s perfectly legal to tell them to get a warrant first. Having an officer search under the seats, in the glovebox, in the trunk, etc. is one thing, but when they tear the panels and seats and such out of your car and you allow that to happen, no offense but thats stupidity on your part – especially if they have no probable cause.

I don’t know you personally, but I don’t get the impression that you are a “stupid kid” who drives recklessly and causes trouble, therefore deserves the treatment your vehicle alledegly recieved. If I were you, I would consult an attorney. To me, it sounds you have been a victim of circumstance (in the worng place at the wrong time). Its also possible a similar car was seen and/or involved in drug activity near the vicinity of where you were stopped. Nonetheless, you still have rights.

jonmandude
    Participant

What is to stop Madison from taking this further? Like to the level in southern California? They have taken it to the point where they can pull over any car for suspicion of being modified, search, and if anything is not stock, the car can be impounded and destroyed. That is how far they have taken to eliminate street racing. They say if the car is modified it can be used for street racing and is therefore illegal.

I don’t know about anyone else but I would race a stock beater car before I would race a car that I have almost $30K in

Anonymous
    Inactive

Eclipse_Tuner wrote:

Quote:

There is the biggy right there. Madison is beyond liberal, if you follow what they want you to follow you will be all right. If you have beliefs or enjoy hobbies the city doesn’t like, you are targeted. That really isn’t a liberal mindset.

Instead of worrying about cruising the Wash, a new location should be found in a city or town that enjoys people spending money on Friday and Saturday nights.

Personally, Madison is lost. It is a monster that won’t be controlled any longer. More effort is put into making sure no one is offended that it ends up everyone is offended by the lack of anything being done.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.