We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows Cross Plains Car Show

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

What a great day for a car show!!! The temperature was actually a bit cool today, which is great because its been so hot here recently. Cross Plains is only a short drive from Madison and it was a great show today. Its focused more on older cars but it still had a nice turnout of everything. GTO Man and I got to talk to MMRJR for a bit – he brought his mustang. In case you couldn’t make it to the show I’ve uploaded all the photos, check them out:

Cross Plains Photo Gallery

Highlights:
    1. Normally I don’t see too many tbirds at shows, for whatever reason. This show was especially nice because there were 7 tbirds there!!! 😯 Not only that but there was another ’56 Peacock Blue bird. Here are some pics:

normal_Cross%20Plains%20Car%20Show%202005%20001.jpg

normal_Cross%20Plains%20Car%20Show%202005%20002.jpg

normal_Cross%20Plains%20Car%20Show%202005%20003.jpg

normal_Cross%20Plains%20Car%20Show%202005%20025.jpg

normal_Cross%20Plains%20Car%20Show%202005%20026.jpg

normal_Cross%20Plains%20Car%20Show%202005%20027.jpg

normal_Cross%20Plains%20Car%20Show%202005%20048.jpg

2. Also this show had some very interesting things that you don’t see anywhere else, like these antique engines, one of which actually has the piston exposed:

normal_Cross%20Plains%20Car%20Show%202005%20075.jpg

normal_Cross%20Plains%20Car%20Show%202005%20074.jpg

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

THis show has a little bit of everything. It is probably the best show to see some of the very old cars. It is not a judged show so there are no trophies involved.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am in agreement with everything above. Things got a little slow for me down there on the field, so I packed up and left about 1:30PM. In total, there were only three mustangs at this show, which amazes me since there are so many good ones in the local area. It was a pleasure to meet up with Garibaldi and G Man, and I can now put a face with a car and I am sure we will meet up again at some of the upcoming shows, if not this year, then certainly next year. There is a small local show coming up in New Glarus, I think two weeks from now, which will in all likelihood, be my last show for the year. But, Jefferson comes up next weekend icon_cheers.gif icon_cheers.gif so I will be out on the hunt for NOS and bargains on both days.

Marshall

GTO Man
    Quote:
    I am in agreement with everything above. Things got a little slow for me down there on the field, so I packed up and left about 1:30PM. In total, there were only three mustangs at this show, which amazes me since there are so many good ones in the local area. It was a pleasure to meet up with Garibaldi and G Man, and I can now put a face with a car and I am sure we will meet up again at some of the upcoming shows, if not this year, then certainly next year. There is a small local show coming up in New Glarus, I think two weeks from now, which will in all likelihood, be my last show for the year. But, Jefferson comes up next weekend icon_cheers.gif icon_cheers.gif so I will be out on the hunt for NOS and bargains on both days.

Marshall

It was good to meet you at the show. Like you said things got a little slow in the afternoon. They do give out a very nice dash plaque.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:

Marshall

It did get a bit slow in the afternoon, about the only thing they had going on was the Model T engine assembly competition, it took them 19minutes 16 seconds to get it assembled and across the line they had marked out. We left about 2:30, it was getting pretty slow at that point.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There was a bit of excitement before you guys rolled into the show. There was an older gentlemen just off to the side of me, with an antique engine demonstration who appeared to have a heart attack or stroke. This must of been about 7:45 or 8AM, just about the time I got into the trunk and started to wipe my car down. Fortunately, there were several EMTs and volunteer fire personnel working at the registration area who attended to him until the ambulance arrived and took him into the hospital. He was conscious and breathing when they transported him off of the field by ambulance.

I probably should not have shared this with my wife when I got home. I am also getting up there in age myself, and my wife wondered how she would get my fastback back to Madison, if something like this should happen to me dontknow.gif .
    What really concerns me is that she didn’t seem to worry about me or getting me home from the hospital, she was more worried about how she could get the car back home from any of these outlying areas where I take the car to.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    There was a bit of excitement before you guys rolled into the show. There was an older gentlemen just off to the side of me, with an antique engine demonstration who appeared to have a heart attack or stroke. This must of been about 7:45 or 8AM, just about the time I got into the trunk and started to wipe my car down. Fortunately, there were several EMTs and volunteer fire personnel working at the registration area who attended to him until the ambulance arrived and took him into the hospital. He was conscious and breathing when they transported him off of the field by ambulance.

I probably should not have shared this with my wife when I got home. I am also getting up there in age myself, and my wife wondered how she would get my fastback back to Madison, if something like this should happen to me dontknow.gif .
    What really concerns me is that she didn’t seem to worry about me or getting me home from the hospital, she was more worried about how she could get the car back home from any of these outlying areas where I take the car to.

:haha:

As long as the car gets home safely that’s what counts! (just kidding of course! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif )

I’m glad to hear that that gentleman was okay, it sounds like he was doing alright when they took him away on the ambulence. BTW later that day they found the “oldest guy at the show” and it turns out the oldest car buff there was 95 years old!! :yikes: He even pulled out his drivers license to prove it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, Totally unbelievable!!! 95 years young, and still attending car shows. This just sets the benchmark and standard for me. Maybe our passion for old metal and old muscle is a fountain of youth and will slow the aging process!!!

I spoke with an unforgetable gentleman at this show who was at least 80 years old, if not older, who took great pains to tell me about the starter in a 1937 that was still as strong in 1997 (when he sold the car 60 years later) as it was when new in 1937. He explained to me how he was able to keep that starter going for 60 years and what his secrets were. These are the people and conversations that keep me going from weekend to weekend, when I know that I have spent too much money on my “old iron” and I have “little or no chance” of showing or placing. My reward is simply hanging out with people like this old guy who shared 15 minutes of “old metal” info that you will never find in a book. I may never bring home a best of show or participant’s choice award, but if I ever find myself too busy to visit with those who are willing to share, then it will be time for me to quit and move on to something else. I truly cherish those who are willing to stop and chat with us at the shows, big or small, judged or not judged. Marshall

GTO Man

That is what make the shows interesting, all the different people, stories and knowledge.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Well said Marshall!!!! That is the real fun at car shows, talking with other guys interested in cars and sharing experiences. So he owned that car for 60 years? 😯 That has to be some kind of record.

As far as the 95 year old gentleman I’m not sure if he brought a car, but since he still drives I wouldn’t be suprised if he did!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.