We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions DNR Deer Number Estimate

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

The DNR estimates about 1 million roam the Wisconsin countryside now. That is after hunters took about 450,000 during the hunting seasons. I saw very few while I was hunting. How accurate do you thinki they are in their estimates?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

GTO Man wrote:

Quote:
    The DNR estimates about 1 million roam the Wisconsin countryside now. That is after hunters took about 450,000 during the hunting seasons. I saw very few while I was hunting. How accurate do you thinki they are in their estimates?

I see approx 6 or 7 a night here at home. They roam the woodlines at sundown, and feast in the clover field. I will say I sure haven’t seen a lot on the sides of the road though…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I question every number the DNR comes up with. COnsidering they use “estimates” and what not it makes me wonder if they just pick a number. Such a horribly messed up orginization in my opinion.

I could go off on a rant to end all rants but it wouldn’t do any good and just leave me pissed off at them some more.

Springs coming though so that means a day of putting up new signs and repairing fences along our property to keep those on DNR lands from tresspassing.

The deer count around us has been down considerably for years. Over hunting on public lands combined with better harvesting by the farms mean less deer in my area. CWD and the kill everything mentality the DNR had didn’t help either.

Still have the Doe wandering in my back yard everynight. On the farm we still have a few bucks playing around and a few doe. Spring is comign fast and the Does will drop fawns so the car kill count will start to rise again.

GTO Man

The DNR needs to have people buy a certain number of licenses each year. It has gotten to be a business more than the management of the herd. They were put in a position after the season where they had to be honest about the estimates. Their first number was 830,000 which is probably closer to reality. Allot of the fun has been taken out of hunting in general. The government in general spends way too much and so they have to come up with creative ways to raise revenue, that they don’t classify as taxes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting that before last deer season the DNR was estimating 1.7 million deer. There definently are not as many deer as in the recent past, the DNR is interested in selling licenses

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.