We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Do you know about this?

• Creator
    Topic
    lordairgtar
    Participant

Trans 123 seek remove from usage many vehicles currently operated legally and safely in WI due to being classified as NON CONFORMING to a 1968 vehicle safety act. The first target of this proposed legislation is Historic Military Vehicles (HMV). Please help us continue to honor and memorized the veterans who used these vehicles my allowing them to “keep rolling” in parades such as the 4th of July parades, Veterans Day parades, events to raise funds at VFW, American Legion post, other civic events state wide.

This does NOT stop at HMVs it targets many of the “custom” cars that are currently operated, like seeing the 57’s Chevys, custom mustangs, kit cars etc? Well these are targeted also as they could be deemed “NON CONFORMING”.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ALERT ABOUT YOUR MILITARY VEHICLE

http://webmail.aol.com/43792/aol/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.27691135&folder=NewMail&partId=5&saveAs=Trans_123_Scope%5b1%5d.pdf&a=54056&z=31550

Some of you already know that the State DOT has proposed a new law that eliminates many Historic Military Vehicles from WI. I’m sending this out to everyone we know and asking (begging) you and your fellow collectors to get involved!!!! Please pass this on to every car and truck collector you know. Tell the veterans groups we parade with, Tell the schools we display for, tell the municipal parade organizers we support.

Briefly, the WI DOT has issued a proposal called “Trans 123”. It seeks to restrict or eliminate specialty and collector vehicles from WI roads.

We are urging everyone with an interest in the old car hobby to attend the hearing next Wed in Madison and to call their legislators to oppose Trans 123 in its current format.

Collectors with pre 1968 vehicles need to help too. This will BAN many collector and hobbyist vehicles.

Call your legislators and tell them we oppose the Trans 123 proposal for four reasons.

1) It seeks to define ANY vehicle made after 1968 that is not 100% compliant with the NHTSA, as designed for “off road” only. This is too broad and will eliminate many collector vehicles in the Hobbyist or Historic Military vehicle groups.

2) The proposal is far too broad and seeks to provide a single broad definition that affects too many collector situations

3) The proposal wording is very difficult to read or understand.

4) The proposal seeks to provide for public safety, but bans many post 1968 vehicles including Historic Military vehicles. These HMV’s have been legally registered and operated by collectors in WI since 1968 with no significant traffic safety issues that would support any call by the public to ban them.

There is a hearing on this NEXT WEEK WEDNESDAY 7/29/2009 in Madison see the attached.. they are trying to slide this in under the radar..!!!

Here is the link to the details of the proposal and the hearing.

Relating to Grounds for Refusing Registration: http://apps.dhfs.state.wi.us/admrules/public/Rmo?nRmoId=4183

Don’ know who your Representitives are?

Call Toll-free: 1-800-362-9472 to find out or

http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

You can also search on WI TRANS 123 for more information.

Please get the word out. We need to at least get this slowed down and let more people have input. Call your legislators and get them involved. Tell them we need their help to voice opposition to this rule for the 4 reasons.

For more details please contact either myself of our key person Jeff Rowsam

Denmark, WI 54208

home 920 863 8656

cell 920 562 5776

jerowsam@centurytel.net

=

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

Thanks for posting that. People need to voice their disapproval.

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

This doesn’t surprise me in the least…

There are some positives in regards to vehicle safety, but the alterior motive is pretty clear. There needs to be much more public discussion on this.

moparkid25
    Participant

I’ll be calling Ms. Baldwin’s office tomorrow, there familiar with me :whistle:

I wish the government would quit meddling in the affairs of the American citizen, and quit thinking they know whats best for everyone.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ll fight this.

moparkid25
    Participant

Here’s a copy of the letter I sent out today:

Dear Legislator,

I am writing this letter to urge you to vote against Trans 123, a proposed bill to remove vehicles such as historic military vehicles from being operated on Wisconsin’s infrastructure. By deeming vehicles “non-conforming”, not only do you remove valuable lessons in history of the children of our state, but you also will eliminate jobs from those in the business of fabrication, restoration, graphic design, and many other skilled trades. Many of these vehicles are not driven on a “daily basis”, and therefore such involvement in a crash is minimal according to state statistics.

As a person who is heavily involved in the classic car industry both for business and pleasure, I again urge you to vote against this bill.

Thank You,

Zachary H. Johnson

I sent it to Erpenbach, Pop-Roberts, and will have to call Baldwin’s office as you have to jump thru hoops to email her. They know the sound of my voice when I call since I call at least once a month to get her to push concealed carry in WI :laugh:

moparkid25
    Participant

Here’s one reply that I’ve recieved so far from the office of Sondy Pope-Roberts:

Zac,

My name is Tom and I work in Rep. Pope-Roberts’ office. Trans 123 is a proposed rule created by the Department of Transportation (DOT). There will be a hearing on the rule held on July 29th at 10 a.m. in Room 254 of the Hill Farms State Transportation Building at 4802 Sheboygan Avenue in Madison. At the hearing, the DOT will take public comment on the rule and it will be entered into the official record. I would suggest that you attend if you have time to do so. The rule has not yet reached the stage of legislative overview and once it does it will most likely be reviewed by the Assembly and Senate Committees on Transportation. Our office is working with one of our constituents who owns a historic vehicle that would be affected by this rule change to modify the rule so that it will not have as extensive of an affect as the one it stands to make. In your contact, you did not include your home address. Could you please pass this along so that our office can determine if you are a constituent of the 79th Assembly District? Thanks,

-tom

I think it would be awesome if we could get a few guys from WCC to get together and attend this hearing. Is anyone else interested in going with me?

moparkid25
    Participant

Another response after I had to verify I was in the right district:

You are in fact a constituent of Rep. Pope-Roberts’. I will keep you in the loop as the rule-making process unfolds. Unfortunately, if the proposed rule does go to the Assembly Transportation Committee, Rep. Pope-Roberts will not have a vote due to the fact that she is not a member of the committee. As I mentioned previously, both Senator Erpenbach and Rep. Pope-Roberts are following this issue closely and are working to stave off this change. In the meantime, if you have the time to do so, attend the public hearing. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. Thanks again,

-tom
    Tom McCarthy
    tom.mccarthy@legis.wi.gov

Anonymous
    Inactive

I went in, shot my mouth off, had to leave early but it was great to see 60+ in opposition to this travesty. Let’s hope this dies quickly and if it doesn’t we stay on the offensive.

moparkid25
    Participant

lilwillie wrote:

Quote:
    I went in, shot my mouth off, had to leave early but it was great to see 60+ in opposition to this travesty. Let’s hope this dies quickly and if it doesn’t we stay on the offensive.

Thank You! :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

moparkid25 wrote:

Quote:
    lilwillie wrote:

Quote:

Thank You! :)

My pleasure. Now that my work day is done I can add to it.

First off, they read the bill. And for the most part it focused on “off road” vehicles to them. But like it was mentioned here if you read between the lines and dove into it there was just too much gray area. To many items raised a red flag and the fact they said it had no financial impact on anyone was just plain bullshit.

60+ people did show up. The first to speak was a representative of a Historic Military group and he spoke very well and read from a prepared statement. Which went on for 10 minutes and chewed the bill to pieces. Then a Rep from, I can’t remember the Senators name, spoke on behalf of the Senator and he to opposed the bill. Which was nice to see the email flooding to State Reps is working.

Then the Wisconsin Ducks from Wisconsin Dells had a rep there to oppose the Bill. He also spoke very well. Another gentleman was also speaking from a very well thought out prepared statement that tore into the holes of the bill very nicely.

It was then open to everyone. Many stated what I was also concerned about. The state lumping in many other vehicles on this. I keyed on the money part, my feelings that is was a “money grab” by the state for more tax dollars to a segment of the driving population that puts not nearly enough miles on compared others and is a safe group of drivers.

I also had to correct the Lawyer in charge of the meeting. Someone had mentioned how it could affect replica or reproduction vehicles and the Lawyer stated they are all title as new, current year. I had to jump all over him and explain that wasn’t true, that I was going threw the process of registering a home built reproduction and it would be titled as a 1965.

Kind of nice to “put him in his place”

There was a woman, apart of the committee that read the Bill at the start. I keep a eye on her and as people spoke you could see her start to get very upset at the fact we opposed this bill. A few times she mentioned it wouldn’t affect other vehicles and people would say what other vehicles and she didn’t know. I seriously think they had no clue this much opposition was coming their way. They mentioned they never had this many people come to a meeting for a Bill still in the drafting stages.

I wish I could have stayed to get more comments heard from others, but I was confident in those there, they did a great job. Anyone who couldn’t make it, contact your state reps before this hits the State Committees and starts to be drafted into law. Even if they exclude all of us car collectors and hobbyists the off road community, specifically the Historic Military Groups, need our support.

lordairgtar
    Participant

I was there as well. It was good to be involved in the process. It was asked if there was any present who supported Trans 123 and no one answered. Thanks to all that made it. I know many took of work to be there and will miss out on pay. Obviously, it was that important. Went to lunch with the Pinzegaur guys (who this thing seems to be aimed at, initially). Awesome group of guys and one of them had their Pinz at the meeting.

moparkid25
    Participant

My neighbor has a PinzGauer, I wonder if he was there? I’ll have to ask him next time I see him.

Anonymous
    Inactive

lordairgtar wrote:

Quote:
    I was there as well. It was good to be involved in the process. It was asked if there was any present who supported Trans 123 and no one answered. Thanks to all that made it. I know many took of work to be there and will miss out on pay. Obviously, it was that important. Went to lunch with the Pinzegaur guys (who this thing seems to be aimed at, initially). Awesome group of guys and one of them had their Pinz at the meeting.

Prob was the guy that lives next door to me!

Anonymous
    Inactive

lordairgtar wrote:

Quote:

Sorry I missed the chance to meet you face to face and talk. I had to bug out early to get back to the shop. It was a fun day. I had a 59 Edsel Ranger on the rack for a axle seal. :laugh:

Hope my rambling made sense at the meeting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi All,

I’m a newbie here, although some of you already know me (even my neighbor’s here, I see). I’m sort of the burr under DOT’s saddle, I guess.

I’m the Pinzgauer owner who filed the appeal after DOT cancelled my title & registration for my truck, after over 5 years of uneventful licensed operation here in Wis. I won the appeal, and DMV relicensed all previously registered Pinzgauers. They’re apparently unhappy about that. That was Sept. ’07 – Sept. ’08.

If DOT had won, it would have created a precedent allowing them to inspect and remove from the roads, all “nonconforming” vehicles. (That means that the vehicle does not have a U.S. DOT/NHTSA label which certifies that the vehicle meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards – FMVSS.) Such vehicles include all pre-1968, ex-U.S. Military, and imported foreign-market vehicles.

So you can imagine my concern when DOT introduced Trans 123, a new rulemaking specifically aimed at those vehicles.

As of today, the proposal is still at the DOT. DOT can modify the proposal based on comments from the July 29th public hearing and input fromlawmakers.

It will get introduced to the Wis. Senate and Assembly next, and will be reviewed by a committee from each house. If either committee objects to the rulemaking, it will then go to the Joint Committee for Review of Administrative Rules (JCRAR). If the JCRAR objects to the proposal, they can object to it also, and then act to kill the proposal.

When the rulemaking reaches the Senate and Assembly, those committees only have 30 days in which to act. If they do not act, the rulemaking automatically takes effect.

It is crucial that citizens contact their Senator and Assembly Rep. and make their opinions known, within that 30 days.

During our fight for our Pinzgauers, we created a website to provide information about the issue. We are creating a special page which will allow Wis. residents to sign up for special notification as this rulemaking progresses. I’ll post more info in the coming days…

Any comments or questions are welcomed.

Paul Underwood
    Blue Mounds, WI

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.