We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Lounge Do you like the styles of todays cars or yesterdays?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m one of those people who miss the cars of yesterday. The styles today have lost their uniqueness. I remember when you would see a car coming down the road and you would know what year and make it was. I miss that. I wondered what everybody here thought about it.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I agree completely! The old cars have a unique style, every last one of them. All the cars today just look the same, like jellybeans. Its really not that much fun anymore to see cars go down the road because they all jus blur together.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t know a lot about cars but it seems to me they all look the same today.

GTO Man
    Quote:
    I’m one of those people who miss the cars of yesterday. The styles today have lost their uniqueness. I remember when you would see a car coming down the road and you would know what year and make it was. I miss that. I wondered what everybody here thought about it.

Like you said you used to be able to tell what kind of car it was from a distance. A small part of the fender or grill would identify the car. These days the only way to tell on most cars is to read the nameplate. The only truly distinctive cars are usually out of sight price-wise. Chrysler has probably taken more chances lately with different designs. I like the Magnum, 300, and am waiting to see just what the Charger will look like.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

Like you said you used to be able to tell what kind of car it was from a distance. A small part of the fender or grill would identify the car. These days the only way to tell on most cars is to read the nameplate. The only truly distinctive cars are usually out of sight price-wise. Chrysler has probably taken more chances lately with different designs. I like the Magnum, 300, and am waiting to see just what the Charger will look like.

And the new Mustang and GTO both have a sense of style, though not as much as the old ones.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like GTO Man, I used to pride myself on being able to spot a block away the model, year, and sometimes the engine if I could hear it.

The new models are cookie-cutter, with no style or personality.

Can anyone name a new car with the “attitude” of a ’57 Chevy? Or the heart-stopping roar of an SS454 Nova breaking ’em loose at a green light? The dual quads ringing …..ahhhh ..the good old days. But I digress.

Give me almost any car from the glory years over almost any new car. And I’ll be happy. A car that has points, and a place to shine your timing light.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

And you’d never see a ram scoop or cowel induction anymore…
    Its too bad.

GTO Man

I like that new commercial where the guy is sitting on his front porch out in the country. He can hear a sound in the distance, it gets closer and closer until a ’70 Chevelle with flowmasters drives by. Now that is my kind of commercial.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I like that new commercial where the guy is sitting on his front porch out in the country. He can hear a sound in the distance, it gets closer and closer until a ’70 Chevelle with flowmasters drives by. Now that is my kind of commercial.

There was a good one on last night…. ugh memory block!! Drogar-Mad(LBG).gif

hpdog259962
    Participant

WHen they say they don’t make ’em like they used to, they mean it. Good ‘ol: AMC, Nash, Terraplane, Olds… Drogar-Love(LBG).gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    WHen they say they don’t make ’em like they used to, they mean it. Good ‘ol: AMC, Nash, Terraplane, Olds… Drogar-Love(LBG).gif

Your exactly right! And the styling is really lacking these days too IMO. crybaby2.gif

montefrazer
    Participant

I can’t tell one new car from another unless it’s really ugly. That’s why I redid a 77 Caprice last year as a daily driver. I’ll admit 77-late 80’s Caprices are hard to tell apart, but you knew it was a Chevy from any angle.

GTO Man

There is no creativity used in the styling of today’s cars. 95% are just boring, if you want anything distinctive you have to pay for it.

hpdog259962
    Participant

Back in the 60’s/70’s, you could just have to see one side/back/front and you could tell exactly what make it is and what model it is, now, you need to see a logo to tell.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Back in the 60’s/70’s, you could just have to see one side/back/front and you could tell exactly what make it is and what model it is, now, you need to see a logo to tell.

Exactly! There was such a sense of style, but today its all the same. Like Cap said too you could even sometimes tell by just hearing it.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.