Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Do you use ordinary fuel or premium?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys,

Let’s debate. Here in the UK, we’ve got a few choices of fuel. There’s bog-standard 95-octane fuel, standard 98-octane “super” and the premium fuels that are 98- or 99-octane but are very highly refined with additives to improve performance and keep the engine clean etc.

What do you usually use? Why?

Do the premium fuels actually make a difference, or is it all marketing hype? If you feel they do make a difference, could it all be psychological?

Personally, I used to use Shell Optimax but since I moved house my local station is BP, so I’m using BP Ultimate. I do this mainly to care for the engine a little more (I hope). I feel that it makes a little bit of difference. The car has a tiny bit more power at the low end (600 – 2000rpm) and the engine feels just a little smoother throughout the entire range. My father’s car (a Nissan Primera) reported that there was no difference in economy between ordinary 95-octane fuel and BP Ultimate. My car doesn’t have tricksy computers to tell me this (hell, it doesn’t even have ABS brakes!) so I can’t comment. The Primera is a pretty gutsy 1.8l, and my Almera is a 1.5l with economy in mind (I get about 36mpg making mainly short trips in town!).

So, what does everyone use and why?

Cobra

Viewing 10 replies - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I use 93 in my Cooper but i use regular in my 89 woody.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I use 93 in my Cooper but i use regular in my 89 woody.

Welcome Pwyll!! wave.gif So you favor the cooper eh? Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif thumbsup.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks,

I like the cooper alot. fun to drive, good gas mileage, chicks dig it. But i prefer my Grand Wagoneer. But honestly, at 9mpg i can’t afford to drive that thing unless it’s a blizzard or i’m towing something. so she sits and slowly dies. crybaby2.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Thanks,

I like the cooper alot. fun to drive, good gas mileage, chicks dig it. But i prefer my Grand Wagoneer. But honestly, at 9mpg i can’t afford to drive that thing unless it’s a blizzard or i’m towing something. so she sits and slowly dies. crybaby2.gif

Yeah unfortunately with gas prices the way they are now its hard to drive something with poor mileage. What does your cooper get on average?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Average is 30 with mostly city driving. I drove up to Hurley (From Milwaukee) for Labor day and got 40 mpg for that trip.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Average is 30 with mostly city driving. I drove up to Hurley (From Milwaukee) for Labor day and got 40 mpg for that trip.

Just a bit of difference between the two! 😯

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes. And that’s due to working in Downtown Milwaukee while they redo the f’ing Marquette Interchange and you gas, brake, honk, honk brake, gas, honk, honk, gas, brake, gas, honk all the way home.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yes. And that’s due to working in Downtown Milwaukee while they redo the f’ing Marquette Interchange and you gas, brake, honk, honk brake, gas, honk, honk, gas, brake, gas, honk all the way home.

Just be glad its an automatic! 😯

Glad to have another fellow Wisconsinite on board, are you from Milwaukee (its okay if you don’t want to say either)?

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s a stick.

Yeah I’m from MKE.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    It’s a stick.

Yeah I’m from MKE.

Glad to have you here!!! What do you think of those Badgers?

Viewing 10 replies - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.