We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Driving at high speeds with a bound brake…

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

….does this to your brake pads!

top_brake.jpg

side_brake.jpg

That steel backing plate should be covered with a generous layer of brake pad – you can see a little bit of it left (grey material)…

EDIT – I should probably explain. My car has had a weird problem since I got it – it has sqeaked/squealed, especially in reverse. This problem has come and gone several times, but came to a head recently when I could allow the car to drift to a complete stop on a steep hill! Turns out that it was (fortunately) not the caliper that went wrong but the handbrake cable. It was sticking in the sheath and keeping the handbrake applied to my rear left (as you face the rear of the car) wheel. I was driving at various speeds (from 30MPH to very, very fast) with this bound brake… Oops! Still, I’ll be stripping and lubricating the brake cable within the next couple of days and it should be sorted.

Just now, I have an entire brake system for one wheel and the rotor lying out on my desk! :D

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    EDIT – I should probably explain. My car has had a weird problem since I got it – it has sqeaked/squealed, especially in reverse. This problem has come and gone several times, but came to a head recently when I could allow the car to drift to a complete stop on a steep hill! Turns out that it was (fortunately) not the caliper that went wrong but the handbrake cable. It was sticking in the sheath and keeping the handbrake applied to my rear left (as you face the rear of the car) wheel. I was driving at various speeds (from 30MPH to very, very fast) with this bound brake… Oops! Still, I’ll be stripping and lubricating the brake cable within the next couple of days and it should be sorted.

Wow! icon_eek.gif I’m happy that you found out what the problem was, at least you can fix it now! So basically what was happening was that you were braking some while driving the car, the same effect as putting both the brake and gas on at the same time, but less intense.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good Gawd! Man that’s crazy. Good thing you were able to figure it out now before it could inflict any further rotor damage.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Good Gawd! Man that’s crazy. Good thing you were able to figure it out now before it could inflict any further rotor damage.

I know! Its so lucky!!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.