Welcome Forum The Drag Strip End of Pontiac

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

It looks like it will be the end of Pontiac as we know it. Pontiac which used to be known as GM’s Performance Division will probably end up with a couple of their models in some other division, Chevrolet for instance.

It’s too bad the short-sighted car companies GM and Chrysler couldn’t see past short-term profits. Now their current and former employees along with the American people who are bailing them out are paying for it.

At least one of the American companies, Ford has positioned itself more intelligently than the other two.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

This truly is sad news. Pontiac will go the way of Oldsmobile. Just think, ten years from now, there will be a next generation of car guys/gals who know little or nothing about Oldsmobile or Pontiac or how good these cars were.

Will this make collectible Pontiacs go up in value in the short term or have the opposite effect?

BTW, Snow today is coming down pretty good, so I am sticking close to the computer. Dick sent me that article on the Tucker convertible at Benchmark (from Old Cars Weekly), so I am going to catch up on my reading.

Marshall

moparkid25
    Participant

Where did you hear Pontiac was to be discontinued?

The last info I was given is that Saab would be sold, Saturn and Hummer were to be axed, and that Pontiac would see production cuts but kept for limited edition, performance oriented vehicles like the G8.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I just came on to post this. I was shocked to hear this – IMO Cadillac would have been the divison to go. Their paradigm doesn’t make as much sense in an era of fuel efficient cars and high gas prices. The Cadillac Escalade certainly didn’t have great fuel economy.

Here’s a video:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/29307802#29307802

And here’s Jalopnik’s Funeral for Pontaic:
    http://jalopnik.com/tag/pontiac/?id=5155904

GTO Man

It was an article I read on what GM will be doing. It may of been the New York Times. I will see if I can find it and post it.

“Pontiac Communications Manager Jim Hopson has confirmed, in a February 13, 2008, telephone interview, that there are no plans for a new Firebird or GTO in the Development Schedule, at least for the next two years.”

http://blogs.highperformancepontiac.com/6229231/pontiac-news/2009-2010-firebird-and-gto-fate-confirmed/index.html

Looks like the fate is still up in the air. One of the options is taking away its status as a division.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/business/18brands.html

Amigo2k

Sad indeed…. I would think the newer GTO’s price would now hold for awhile….

I took my drivers test in a 1982 Pontiac J2000 (which later became the Sunbird). My sister then drove it through college, and then I had it for a semester and then I sold it to my roomate (had 165k on it and still got 38MPG on the highway…)…. great car…. great memories….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn………….. what’s next?

Maybe we are too comfortable with the past and not ready to welcome the future of hybrid, ethanol, battery, solar panel, etc. vehicles. What have we to lose….. by embracing new technoloogy for a new economy…….?

Marshall

hpdog259962
    Participant

MMRJR wrote:

Quote:
    Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn………….. what’s next?

Maybe we are too comfortable with the past and not ready to welcome the future of hybrid, ethanol, battery, solar panel, etc. vehicles. What have we to lose….. by embracing new technoloogy for a new economy…….?

Marshall

I think there are other factors as well.
    Hybrids actually didn’t sell as well as years before.

Anyway, can you tell the difference between some of the newer cars now? Not really. See, the car companies have already merged makes together when they started to combine all of their cars. You did have some cars that would be similar in the past, but each would have a different style, engine package, or what have you. Now everything is almost the same. There are even some cars out there that look exactlty the same and have them same stuff in them. Then only thing different is brand.

GTO Man

Sounds like the Firebird won’t be introduced in 2010. The GTO also will not be re-introduced. It’s too bad Pontiac took the cheap route when brought back the GTO a few years ago. Now they will never be able to do it right.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think you’ll see Pontiac go back to being the Performance Division. I think you’ll continue to see Pontiacs on the road just like years ago. Rebadged Chevy’s or Buicks.

They can say it is dead all they want but when the year comes not a Pontiac is on the lot, then I may believe it. If they are still in the concept shows, and in the Performance Division, they are still breathing.

Just a different monster. Which is what GM needs.

GTO Man

Rumors that Pontiac is done are going rampant. It is just a matter of time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

GTO Man,

I think this news has worsened. I thought I heard late last week that GM was totally ceasing production of the Pontiac line, effective this coming Monday, April 27th, when the last Pontiac will roll off of the assembly line.

Xman
    Participant

MMRJR wrote:

Quote:
    GTO Man,

I think this news has worsened. I thought I heard late last week that GM was totally ceasing production of the Pontiac line, effective this coming Monday, April 27th, when the last Pontiac will roll off of the assembly line.

General Motors Corp. has announced plans to further reduce its work force, plant operations and dealership network as the carmaker seeks to remain viable.

Also, the automaker will now shutter the Pontiac brand and emphasize four core brands — Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC.

Details were outlined Monday as GM also filed a plan to exchange $27.2 billion of bonds with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. GM is facing a June 1 deadline by the Obama administration or the company may face bankruptcy. Already GM has received $15.4 billion from the federal government while trying to remain solvent.

The added cuts call for reducing the total number of assembly, powertrain, and stamping plants in the U.S. from 47 in 2008 to 34 by the end of 2010 — a reduction of 28 percent, and down to 31 by 2012.

“We don’t know what impact, if any, this might have on the Tonawanda plant,” said spokeswoman Nina Price. “That’s something we’re trying to determine right now.”

The company’s hourly employment roll would drop by another 34 percent, or about 21,000 workers, to 40,000. GM assumes a reduction of U.S. hourly labor costs from $7.6 billion in 2008 to $5 billion in 2010. GM said it will continue to work with the United Auto Workers to accomplish those cuts through modifications in the collective bargaining agreement.

GM plans to slash its U.S. dealer count from 6,246 in 2008 to 3,605 by the end of 2010, a reduction of 42 percent. That is a further cut of 500 dealers, and four years sooner, than previously announced in February.
    :ohmy:

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    circletrack
    Participant

Very scary news indeed, especially when your family and friends work at dealerships who could be on the chopping block…. I understand there comes a time when everything eventually ends, but how on earth are all these people out of work supposed to find a job? Sooner or later we’ll all be living in cardboard boxes. It’s a very sad, sad situation right now with no end in sight!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

If anyone would like to write an article about Pontiac and their memories or experiences with this historic brand, you can simply click the Add an Article link. You can edit it and save it before publishing it

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.