We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Gas could hit $5 a gallon in 2012, former oil exec

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

Keep in mind this could be a media scare tactic.

This is also why the USA needs to drill there own oil. We have bent over for the Arab’s long enough.

GTO Man

What this country needs is to eliminate its dependence on oil. And a start is to bring in some choo choo trains.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What a great idea!! Oh wait…Ignorance and greed screwed the pooch on that one for us.
    gh

moparkid25
    Participant

Would either one of you ride the HSR?

It’s not happening. I’m tired of Eco-Nazi Liberals crying about it… Because most of them wouldn’t ride it either. “Do as I say, not as I do” has been the motto for Progressive Democrats for quite some time.

As far as fuel costs go, I thought high gas prices were GWB’s fault? He’s been out of office for 2 years :whistle:

GTO Man

There are too many narrow minded people in WIsconsin who aren’t willing to accept any form of transportation besides the automobile. I would of used the train.

As far as GWB, I see someone wrote a book which he has accepted credit for. I will give GWB credit for keeping his opinions to himself as far as the new administration goes. That can’t be said about that slime that was his VP.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Eco Nazi Liberal…Really? You’re comparing me and my views to the group that overran Europe and tried to eradicate everyone that wasn’t Ayrian.

REALLY?

Amigo2k

For the folks that say “no” to the train, I would ask one question … have you ever taken a train in Europe or Japan?

moparkid25
    Participant

gh wrote:

Quote:
    Eco Nazi Liberal…Really? You’re comparing me and my views to the group that overran Europe and tried to eradicate everyone that wasn’t Ayrian.

REALLY?

Yep.

moparkid25
    Participant

Amigo2k wrote:

Quote:
    For the folks that say “no” to the train, I would ask one question … have you ever taken a train in Europe or Japan?

The only other country I’ve visited is Canada. I’ve ridden AmTrak and the L-trains in Chicago… I know they aren’t much comparison. But when you look at the vast majority vote on the subject, the HSR was not wanted. Therefore, I see no reason to continue to push the subject.

IMO, Scott Walker made the right decision. Let’s fix the current infrastructure, create jobs, and get this state back in the black. I’m all for alternative energy, but we will always have a need for fossil fuels.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have ridden the HSR’s in Germany. They are really cool and they pay for themselves. Here in the US where cars are king, most mass transit projects have to be subsidized to keep them going i.e. AmTrack. I would be all for the HSR’s if they were profitable or at least pay for themselves. If the HSR in WI didn’t at least break even we would be paying for it to keep it going. I just don’t think the time is right yet for HSR’s here yet.

lordairgtar
    Participant

The US is not Japan which is highly over populated and a very small island. The rail system there makes good sense and has been in use for quite some time. The US is also not Europe with cities older than 5 – 600 years old with narrow streets. Of course rail makes sense there as well. The USAs combination of being rather large ( a state is as big as a European country), ease of acquiring and keeping a car, low fuel costs and low taxation on cars makes it the better choice. Rail works in cities like NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, but would not be the optimum choice in smaller cities. In case one hadn’t noticed, Madison is a small city and Milwaukee is a medium sized city. We don’t have grid lock or the other problems involved with traffic like LA does.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I lived and worked in Japan from 1990 to 1993. I used the HSR systen and the local commuter rails, daily. I liked them and I used them. I did own an auto, a Toyota Corolla with right hand drive, but I only used it on the weekends. A HSR makes good sense to me to connect Chicago to Milwaukee to Madison to the Twin Cities area.

78cruisingwagon
    Participant

If the HSR (its not really high speed) between Madison and Milwaukee were, really high speed , affordable, and self-supporting I would support it.I could drive there faster that the train,gas would have to be more than $7.50 per gallon (even in my evil SUV) to be cheaper given the stated $60 per round trip for the train. When it is faster ,cheaper and self supporting than driving id be for it.

GTO Man

I think there is allot of misinformation about the train and its costs. Whenever there is something like this it is hard to get unbiased information.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.