We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions GoodGuys Show in Oshkosh, 2014

• Creator
    Topic
    D.Dawg
    Participant

There is an ongoing discussion on the Pro-Touring.com forum regarding the GoodGuys organization hosting one of their national shows in Oshkosh, WI the first weekend in June, 2014. Presumably, this show would replace the show previously held in Joliet, IL that went away, which replaced the show in Madison, which went away after two years. Reportedly, GoodGuys left Madison after two years because the spectator numbers and car numbers were too low, in addition to high fees and costs to GoodGuys, imposed by Madison and the Alliant Energy Center.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

It would be nice to see that happen. Oshkosh would be a much more car-friendly city than Madison. Madison’s arrogant attitude is hurting it.

maddog
    Participant

I heard it anonunced at the Boondockers car show by the Good Guy rep from MN. that it will be held on memorial day weekend at the EAA grounds. A perfect site for this event.
    Being a Good Guy member myself I’m still waiting for an “official announcement”.

moparkid25
    Participant
    D.Dawg wrote:
    There is an ongoing discussion on the Pro-Touring.com forum regarding the GoodGuys organization hosting one of their national shows in Oshkosh, WI the first weekend in June, 2014. Presumably, this show would replace the show previously held in Joliet, IL that went away, which replaced the show in Madison, which went away after two years. Reportedly, GoodGuys left Madison after two years because the spectator numbers and car numbers were too low, in addition to high fees and costs to GoodGuys, imposed by Madison and the Alliant Energy Center.

I went one year as a specator to the GG show when it was in Madison, it was ridiculously expensive. If you go thru the archives on this forum, you can probably find the thread where the Wisconsin GG rep has a temper tantrum because many people were concerned with the costs.

Blown69RS
    Participant

I let my Goodguys membership expire this year. All my experiences have been limited to the DesMoines show. I’ll be the first to admit, they DO have an excellant turnout of very nice cars, and a large non-owner spectator base. If you’ve never attended the DesMoines event, I would definitely encourage everyone to go at least once (on Friday or Saturday). Yes, its usually miserable hot…but, there are many, many large indoor facilities that are fully air-conditioned. The Iowa fairgrounds may be one of the top 3 scenic locations for a GG show, period.

Now, the negatives which I’m sure a lot of you already know… Goodguys membership required (in “most” cases…more on this later), to participate in the show. So, there’s anywhere from $45-$75 to start. Add to that the cost of entering your car… it can very easily turn into $100 to enter. You go in to it knowing that though, so really no complaints. What finally got to me was: $18 admission for spectators. If you have friends and family that may want to attend to see you, some were shocked at the price. When GG management changed hands from father to son, the business “profit margin” mentality took over. It was $15 for years, now its $18. The final straw….and “New” car guys this is NOT a shot at your vehicles… when they opened the Sunday portion of the event to everyone, regardless of year…that was enough. Why? Where all the original owners forked out $75-$100 for entry and mandatory membership dues, the new cars were offered the Sunday-only participation option without joining GG for a flat $35 entry.

I can attend any number of events in this general area that have 800-1500 cars, most for $20 or less, and almost all with zero spectator admission fee. I can’t see a reason why Goodguys events are even truly needed.

If Oshkosh wants the event, more power to ’em. Yes, I’d possibly be a hypocrite and attend… Memorial Day weekend would be ideal (at least in my area), because there’s very little going on for competition for car shows.

But, there’s reasons it failed in Joliet and Madison…. I doubt those situations would be any different in Oshkosh. I’d give it 2 years before they oulled out…

GTO Man

The prices are high, especially the spectator pricing. I attended the show in Madison with a car. It was a good time, too bad it didn’t last. It was pricey though.

maddog
    Participant

Well I just checked out the Good Guys events for 2014 and there is no show in Oshkosh.
    What they did is bring back the show at Indy and moved the date to the first weekend in June.

I’m a little bummed. :(

I won’t attend Indy but will be headed to the Good Guys event in Iowa next year.

GTO Man

I went to the Good Guys Show when they had a show in Madison. It was allot of fun, but it was pricey. Too bad their time in Madison only lasted 2 years.

circletrack
    Participant
    GTO Man wrote:
    I went to the Good Guys Show when they had a show in Madison. It was allot of fun, but it was pricey. Too bad their time in Madison only lasted 2 years.

Agreed! It was expensive and like others have said, if you want friends & family to attend – it’ll cost you a small fortune. These are supposed to be family friendly events, someone may want to remind them of that. :unsure:

D.Dawg
    Participant

I, too, was curious about a possible GoodGuys event in Wisconsin for 2014. I sent emails to our two GoodGuys rodders reps here in Wisconsin, as well as one to the editor of the GoodGuys Gazette.

None of these three answered or responded to my email. Seems like GoodGuys is a little neglectful when it comes to responding to member’s questions.

Des Moines is a little closer than Indianapolis, so it looks like it will be Des Moines for me in 2014.

lordairgtar
    Participant
    D.Dawg wrote:
    None of these three answered or responded to my email. Seems like GoodGuys is a little neglectful when it comes to responding to member’s questions.

That should tell you how they care about us car guys in lowly Wisconsin. I have to laugh at the term “members” , as it makes you feel like being part of a club. GG is not a club. They are a business, one that promotes it’s own shows. Why should they respond to you?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.