We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Goodguys SRA cancels Chicagoland Nationals….

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The Goodguys 6th Chicagoland Nationals, scheduled for August 10-12 2012 at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, IL will not take place this year. The event has been removed from the Goodguys 2012 event series due to a scheduling conflict with the facility.

Looking ahead, The Goodguys Rod & Custom Association offers three events this year that are within 350 miles of Joliet, Illinois. The Goodguys 15th PPG Nationals in Columbus, OH, the 2nd WIX Filters Speedway Nationals in Indianapolis, IN and the 21st Heartland Nationals in Des Moines, IA are all great alternative events which are close by.

MMRJR’s Note: This is the same show, now called ChicagoLand Nationals, that was held in Madison, for two years.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Xman
    Participant

A few years ago Greedguys had 24 shows, now they are down to 20. I wonder if sponsorship is dwindling due to the economy?

maddog
    Participant

Why did it last only 2 years here in Madison; was it due to the lack of support of the city?

moparkid25
    Participant

I think the ridiculous prices from the concessions, entry fee for spectators, and parking thanks to the County took a lot of interest away from the show. With that said, I’m sure the “Greedguys” were getting hosed for renting the AEC too. $15 a head to get in and look at the cars was pretty damn expensive. I understand GG’s have operating costs to put on these shows, but c’mon keep it reasonable!!

GTO Man

I’m not surprised, prices are too high in this economy. If it isn’t a necessity people can do without.

maddog
    Participant

I’m not surprised. When I had my Harley I went to a number of State and National events and it wasn’t much different; seems like everyone has thier hand out for something.
    One of the major reasons why I prefer going to local events for car shows.
    The only “biggie” I’ll be going to will be the “Back to the 50’s” up in MN this year.

circletrack
    Participant

Back to the 50’s is a great event, you will love it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

The first year was fantastic, all the way around. Great attendance, Great cars and trucks, Great Weather. Really, a top notch three day weekend.

But, the second year disaster struck with rainy weather Friday and monsoon strength rains on Saturday and Sunday. GoodGuys pulled the pin after the second year.

There were certainly other issues involved, but I think it was the weather the second year that caused GoodGuys to move the show out of Madison.

circletrack
    Participant

The weather was an issue, I’m sure, but greed paid a big part of the demise also… How much money is really enough? I know there were several complaints about people charged multiple times for parking, and they were registered for the event. Concessions were outrageous, we could go on and on. I’d really like to see a successful show in the Madison area, but it’s well known Madison is not a “car town” and until that changes I don’t see anything happening.

maddog
    Participant

I did some research on the events held in Wisconsin.

The first 3 shows, 15th, 16th, and 17th annuals were held in Waukesha, 2004 thru 2006.
    The last 2 shows, the 18th and 19th were held in Madison; 2007 and 2008.
    That is all I could find, does anyone know if there were any others here in WI before the 2004 show?
    I’m also curious as to why they moved the venue into Madison.

Personally I would love to see theGood Guys “Great Lakes Nationals Car Show” return to Wisconsin; but I wouldn’t want to see it happen in Madison, this town is not car friendly.

Maybe up around Green Bay; I’m sure they have enough hotels to handle the influx of car people.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I attended the 15th, 16th, and 17th in Waukesha (spectator) and had a fantastic time each year. Lot’s of great cars, and good times. I have no idea why the venue was moved from Waukesha to Madison.

maddog
    Participant

Any idea on what the car count was for those years? I’m wondering that maybe not enough cars showed up and they shut it down for that reason.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.