We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Hunting – Opening Weekend

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Who is planning on putting on blaze orange for opening weekend?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

I’ll be donning the blaze orange for the next 2 weekends.

GTO Man

And I will be adorned in blaze orange. Looks like great weather this weekend. I have seen quite a few deer bow hunting this year so expect to see some this weekend. Have gotten one so far and had jerky and sausage made out of it from Stoddard’s in Cottage Grove. Turned out great.

What do people think of the DNR allowing 10 year olds to get hunting licenses?

Anonymous
    Inactive

GTO Man wrote:

Quote:
    And I will be adorned in blaze orange. Looks like great weather this weekend. I have seen quite a few deer bow hunting this year so expect to see some this weekend. Have gotten one so far and had jerky and sausage made out of it from Stoddard’s in Cottage Grove. Turned out great.

What do people think of the DNR allowing 10 year olds to get hunting licenses?

I’ll be out every day. Seen some nice Bucks around my house and around the Farm. I have a picture of a 18 inch 10 point walking through the front yard. He got poked by a friend of mine. Shining I have seen some monsters in our Marsh. Last night I had a 15 inch 6 pointer 100 yds. from my stand.

10 year olds I’m fine with. The setup is perfect. One gun in the stand, arms length away Parent in control all the time. Pretty safe. No different then taking them target shooting. Teach them young and they will respect firearms. I wish more parents would send their kids through a gun safety course so they understand and respect firearms.

I was taught to hunt when I went into the stand at 10. DNR to hell, I was hunting early, pushing deer, doing drives with Dad and his friends. 10 and 11 I got to sit and understand what it was to hunt, at 12 I had my gun and still sat with Dad until he was sure I was safe.

GTO Man

I don’t se an issue with letting kids 10 years old hunt. They will get the guidance needed for being a safe hunter. In Wisconsin hunting is a tradition in many families. Nothing more relaxing than sitting in a tree stand on a nice fall day.

GTO Man

The weekend was great for sitting in a tree stand, but horrible for getting the deer moving. I think they must of been hiding in the uncut corn fields. My group bagged one deer out of two seen over the weekend. I talked to many people who didn’t see a deer all weekend. A very disappointing opening weekend.

Anonymous
    Inactive

One doe at 600 yds. Only thing I saw all weekend.

GTO Man

Hunters Take 100,000 Deer On Opening Weekend
    Gun Deer Season Began Saturday

That is down about 33% from last year. And I think it really down a higher percentage because more people registered their deer earlier than normal because of the warm temperatures. We brought a deer in Saturday to a butcher off of Hwy 82. For $45 the deer is cut up and de-boned, you can’t beat that.

moparkid25
    Participant

My dad got a doe. However, it was late in the day and while tracking the blood trail it became too dark to see. The next morning him and his buddy went out and found it on our neighbor’s property dead. According to my old man, it “stunk like a Saigon hooker on Sunday” while field dressing it. He took it to the CWD site where they chucked it in a dumpster headed for the incinerator – the meat was no good. He got his buck tag, and has been out almost everyday this week.

GTO Man

Looks like the deer kill was down anywhere from 10% to 50% over different parts of the state. It was a perfect storm of conditions to keep the deer elusive. Too much standing corn, weather too warm, rain, fog, among other factors.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.