We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Lounge I have a question

• Creator
    Topic
    jonmandude
    Participant

I have a question. I am not directing this towards anyone. I am seriously asking a question.

I have seen this on here and on other forums and I honestly do not understand the reasoning. Maybe someone here can educate me on this action because I do not understand.

What I am talking about is why ask for a copy of your judging sheet after a show? I do not understand what can be gained by this.

My views are many on this.
    1) the show is passed and the decisions were made. Agree with them or not, will seeing the judges sheet change anything?
    2) you do not have copies of all of the other sheets to compare to, so what is gained by seeing yours?
    3) If you do see something on the sheet that is (in your opinion) incorrect, will knowing that change the past?
    4) If you do see something on the sheet that is (in your opinion again) incorrect, do you expect the judge to go back, and change the results, thereby telling someone else to relinquish their trophy?
    5) If you see something on the sheet that is (once again in your opinion) incorrect and you have received a trophy but maybe should not have, would you give the award back and let the judge know to give it to someone else?

I guess I just do not see where anything is gained by hashing over what is already done. I hear of people doing this fairly often, so there must be something to be gained, can someone tell me what?

Not trying to be a jerk or start a thread to beat people up over this, I am curious.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Most people ask for there judging sheet out of frustration because they feel wronged by the judges. But some people actully will use there sheet in a way to find out where there car fell short and improve those areas at the next show.

moparkid25
    Participant

I agree with plum crazy. I think some people get there judging sheet see what areas they need to improve on. yes, some get there sheets to see how they scored because they feel jipped out of an award.

I’ve asked for two judging sheets since I’ve been going to car shows. one of them was for a survivor car that was judged against restored cars. The other was judged this year, where my buck scored almost perfect. That told me right there the judge didn’t have a clue, especially when i got a 10 for my chrome… which i still haven’t find on my car! Yes, i was mad my car was over judged.

Amigo2k

If the same issues or comments show up from show to show, then you know what area you may want to focus on if you want more points.

jonmandude
    Participant

Thanks guys. That makes sense. I guess I didn’t think of any of that.

intmdatr3
    Participant

We ask for the score sheet to see who we stacked up against the cars in our class. There are times we feel unfairly scored but we use the sheet as to see what we need to improve on the car. I now will just laugh at some we lose to and take the good things from the show with us. Last week we scored 45 out of 50 and didn’t place by one point. The best part of the show are all the compliments we receive on the car from all ages and especially at this one a mom and son talked to us for about a 1/2 hour the car and later that day the little boy came back and gave us a note which said COOL CAR. That made the day very nice as it showed appreciation for the work put into the car.

jonmandude
    Participant

But how do you really know how you compared to other vehicles without seeing the sheets from those other vehicles? How do you know what you think is something you need to fix, isn’t something that actually rated pretty high compared to other vehicles? What if you get a mid-range score and all other cars were the same or lower?

I guess I see what the goal is for asking for your sheets now (thank you all for the responses) but I think without knowledge of the other sheets, it really tells you nothing.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    jonmandude wrote:
    But how do you really know how you compared to other vehicles without seeing the sheets from those other vehicles? How do you know what you think is something you need to fix, isn’t something that actually rated pretty high compared to other vehicles? What if you get a mid-range score and all other cars were the same or lower?

I guess I see what the goal is for asking for your sheets now (thank you all for the responses) but I think without knowledge of the other sheets, it really tells you nothing.

I see what Jon is saying – a rating of 40/100 for example may seem bad but if all cars in your class scored between 20-60 then your score wouldn’t seem nearly as bad. Really what you need is your judging sheet along with at least the average from your class (or your class and the show) to determine the curve

Blown69RS
    Participant

What I like, and it’s not usually on the judging sheet,, is what led the judge to give me the score he did. The actual number means nothing to me (good or bad). I like the discussion with them about the flaws that stick out obviously to them, or the things they like. I couldn’t care less about how another car scored,, I’m strictly looking for tips on how to improve my own car. Being allowed to have meaningful discussions with a judge, during the judging, is becoming more and more difficult to do. (mainly due to owners trying to influence the score, or argue about it)

According to information given to me at a recent WI show, I lost placing in the show by one point. I accept that, and move on. “If” the judge would’ve given me one point higher in an area (and judged another one point lower),,,, would that really change my car at all? would it change what 99.9% of the people think of it when they see it???

I like the sheets if they have explained, written comments. If its just a number, its not all that useful.

To request one to complain, argue, etc… is just wrong.

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

There is a difference between a judging sheet and a score sheet. The score sheet is much more helpful as it lists the scores of all cars in that class.

Personally, the only times I have asked for sheets were for national shows like WoW and HIN so I could see what areas I needed to improve on and to get a better feel on what the judges were looking for.

The only other time I asked for a sheet was at Fox Lake due to botched judging (which is why there isnt late model imports at that show now).

But honestly, seeing a judging sheet on its own after a show is almost completely pointless in all actuality…because jonmandude is right, it wont change anything in the long run.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.