Welcome Forum The Drag Strip If it starts to hail and you’re driving your DAILY DRIVER

• This topic has 27 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 19 years ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

This topic is about getting caught when it starts hailing in your daily driver. What would you do? How would you react?

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Plus you then have a very unique looking automobile!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was in a hail storm one time. At first when a couple hit the hood and roof I thought it was kind of neat, you know you don’t get to see this every day. They hit pretty hard and made alot of noise, but the ones that hit the hood and windsheild where kind of on the mushie side at first. They where hitting and splattering, harder than slush but softer than solid ice and not doing any noticeable damage. They started out like at 2 per second(just guessing) but then the bottom fell out! Holy smokes! Visability went to zero! And I just knew that the windsheild was going to cave in! From my perspective at the time all I could do was slow down and try to squint for when the wind sheild was gonna give.

And then quicker than it started it was over. The ground was covered almost completly with golf ball sized hail stones. My windsheild held with only a couple of chips and the body and paint didn’t suffer as bad as it sounded like it would. Time elasped? Maybe fifteen seconds 30 max

Now my sister had her car parked in her driveway one time in Jeffersonville IN. And it was technically totaled. By like noon the next day body shops had filled their books for like two years and would not take any more work. I saw some of her photos, the car looked like a dogs chew toy. She was happy to get new glass and keep driving.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have never been in hail but as long as I feel safe driving in it I’d just let the insurance take care of it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Come on hail, where are you. Maybe I’ll have to move down south if I don’t find a job around here soon. Bodyshops will be busy down there with katrina disaster once the mess gets sorted out and people are helped. But I don’t know if I really want to work in another bodyshop, been there done that. Family is all in wisconsin too. But if you ever worked on a flood vehicle, the smell is very hard to get rid of, and not good for electrical parts or computer. Hail isn’t too bad to fix since it is mainly on the top panels, and the hood and trunk are easily replaced if too bad, leaving only the roof. I’ve never been in hail that bad zapper. About a year ago I was driving home from the grocery store close by and the hail was coming down pretty good. Left car sit outside because garage is way in the back and didn’t want to pull in, and I didn’t have any damage the next day.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I guess it all depends on if your daily driver is worth $500, $5000 or $50,000

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I guess it all depends on if your daily driver is worth $500, $5000 or $50,000

True.

Very interesting story Zapper! :salut:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well watch out washera county. Here comes the hail. Said up to 3/4 inch hail is possible on the news just now.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Well watch out washera county. Here comes the hail. Said up to 3/4 inch hail is possible on the news just now.

Wow!!! :yikes:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:

Good time to start practicing your ping pong skills Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Quote:

Or skeet-shooting skills 😯

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

Or skeet-shooting skills 😯

Or Foosball!!! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

i would pull over somewhere

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.