We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Lounge I’m back

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey guys, how is everyone? I haven’t been on here in forever but I have finally returned. I’m gonna try to pop in here a few times a week again and then maybe more often as I come to purchase my first car. Yesterday, I was looking online at cars for sale and saw a ’73 Charger for a great price but I didn’t want to get it because I thought my girlfriend wouldn’t approve. I then found out she would have after all but it was gone. My dream car :(. Anyways, I’m in the market to buy something small (not too small like a Cavalier) but everyone is suggesting I buy Japanese. I like Echo’s as my mom has one. It’s about the right size and has great gas mileage but it’s hard to find a good deal on one. Anyways, I’m curious as to what your thoughts might be?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

Welcome back. What are you looking to get out of the car, mileage, etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I was looking for a 4 banger that’s great on gas but I found a car that I just had to get so I’m hopefully getting it Monday or so. It’s a ’94 Taurus. My parents had one when I was younger and I just loved the car. The guy has put a shitload of work into it but he has another vehicle he drives so he wants to get rid of it. It’s a little pricey considering it has 270,000km on it but I really dont care. My dad put over 450,000 on his so I’m not worried before the tranny went.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Welcome back Kreuger! Great to see you again! Nothing much too new here, though I bet the site looks quite a bit different (and hopefully better) since your last visit.

In my opinion, its hard to go wrong with a Toyota Corolla or Camry or a Honda Civic. All have good gas mileage and are very reliable. If you’re looking for a car that will keep on going and going without nickel and diming you to death (as has been my experience with newer Fords, Chevy), that is what I’d recommend. I’m not saying my experience is universal or without bias, but I have had good experience and heard great things about these vehicles

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I’ve backed out on the Taurus. I decided I couldn’t afford the gas in it. I knew it was a 6-cyl but it has a 3.8 and the one my parents had was only 3.0 and they filled it up twice a week so I can only imagine how much more the bigger engine would need. The guy was a little upset but whatever. I need to be smarter about it. The place where my mom bought her Echo sent her an email asking if she was happy and if she wanted something else (they would work out a deal, I guess) so she sent one for me about an ’04 Corolla. Hoping to have it on the road for $7000. We’ll see how that goes. Otherwise, I’ll keep looking daily online. There’s also a Matrix at a different dealership but I gotta call and ask about the price.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Sounds good, let us know how it works out!

Anonymous
    Inactive

You made a very wise decision on the Taurus, especially knowing that it had the 3.8L motor. I had a 93 that I purchased brand new, that turned out to be nothing but complete trouble. The heads on that engine are aluminum and the block is iron. The expansion rate for these two metals are so different that it causes major top seal problems pretty quickly. I had an engine rebuild at 37K miles and realized pretty quickly that I needed to stay away from that particuliar motor. I ended up spending buckets of money trying to keep that car on the road.

I can assure you, you will be much happier with a well maintained, used Corolla.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well guys, I ended up getting the Corolla. Went tonight and took it out and I like it a lot. They were asking $7999 before taxes and shit, got it for $7500. Grand total just shy of $8500. I can’t wait to get it on Saturday. I’ll be posting pictures when I get it. Or you can check it out while it’s still on the dealer site

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congrats on the purchase of your new pre-owned Toyota Corolla!!!!

I bought a used Corolla for my daughter about two years ago, a 2006 Corolla Sport model, and it has been a very nice, essentially trouble driver for her that gets great gas mileage.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Looks great! I think you’ll be very happy with this car and hope to see the pics soon!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m so excited to get it! It’ll be nice to have my own set of wheels and not have to rely on anyone anymore

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Today’s the day!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I got it! I love it so much. It’s awesome having my own car. There’s only two things gonna top this, getting my own house ( a few years) and I’ll have my first child in August! Car seems really great on gas. It was filled by the dealer (the gas needle was a little above Full), driven 170km today (sorry can’t put that into miles for you guys) and the needle went one tick below Full. Gonna run it right down to see what it gets. My mom’s Echo gets 780km per tank. I dont think I’ll be far off. My only complaint is no power windows (but the lockes are power and so are the mirrors haha) I’ll post some pictures on Monday

Anonymous
    Inactive

here’s a few pictures now for anyone whos curious Linky.

Edit: Also for gas mileage:
    1/4 tank – 225km (roughly 139 miles)
    1/2 tank – 425km (roughly 264 miles)

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.