We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Judging Practices [edit]

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Current Text:

Judging at car shows should aspire to be as fair as possible in avoiding biases as well as giving each car an appropriate level of attention and time to make a sound judgment. This standard provides an outline for judges to follow when judging.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

Garibaldi wrote:

Quote:
    Current Text:

Judging at car shows should aspire to be as fair as possible in avoiding biases as well as giving each car an appropriate level of attention and time to make a sound judgment. This standard provides an outline for judges to follow when judging.

Items to look for when judging the engine compartment:

Both classes: cleanliness of the engine bay, look for oil, water, dirt, grime, bugs. Look at the paint on the engine block (is it pealing, faded or dirty?), paint in the engine bay (clean?). Paint under the hood. Do the wires and hoses look organized and well thought out.

Stock class: look for stock engine block paint, stock hose markings, stock hose clamps for the year of the car, stock stickers on the air cleaner and other locations.

Custom class: see above both classes.

Point system: If judging on a scale of 10 here’s how you would deduct points

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Garibaldi wrote:

Quote:
    Current Text:

Quote:
    Proposed Text:

Judging at car shows should aspire to be as fair as possible in avoiding biases as well as giving each car an appropriate level of attention and time to make a sound judgment. The preferred method of judging is an independent team of judges who survey all the cars. However, we recognize that this option may not be feasible for all shows. Therefore, we advise shows to follow the following rules for participant judging:

Participant Judging
    – club members cannot vote for another club member’s car
    – similarly, local cars are not voted on by other local owners
    – use random ballots: an owner never votes on his own class class and only votes on a random selection of the remaining classes

It is also important to keep the age of the cars in mind. Newer cars simply will have less “wear and tear”. In addition, we have compiled a list of specific areas to review when judging a car.

Areas of Interest
    – engine bay and detailing
    – body and paint
    – seats, carpet, dash, glass
    – underside
    – trunk
    – cleanliness

This is a new draft of the judging standards based on the discussions on the forum over the past several months. If you approve of this modification, please reply “yay” or “approved”. If you want to make changes, please quote the part you want to change and post your additional modifications.

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Garibaldi, Thanks for the hard work on this proposed standard.

As a general guideline, I am in favor of and in agreement with this proposal. This standard is specific enough to be applicable to all or most cars and trucks, yet general enough for a judge to factor in the age of the vehicle, whether the vehicle is trailered or driven, attention to small details in the restoration.

I strongly support the participant voting guideline of not voting in one’s own class, and then voting in a designated number of other classes determined by the show’s organizers. We have seen this system work very well at Spring Green, the Janesville Jesus Show and others.

moparkid25
    Participant

MMRJR wrote:

Quote:
    Garibaldi, Thanks for the hard work on this proposed standard.

As a general guideline, I am in favor of and in agreement with this proposal. This standard is specific enough to be applicable to all or most cars and trucks, yet general enough for a judge to factor in the age of the vehicle, whether the vehicle is trailered or driven, attention to small details in the restoration.

I strongly support the participant voting guideline of not voting in one’s own class, and then voting in a designated number of other classes determined by the show’s organizers. We have seen this system work very well at Spring Green, the Janesville Jesus Show and others.

+1. Im with Marshall on this, I have judged at shows were you didn’t have enough catagories to decisevly (sp?) and fairly judge the vehicles, or you had too many factors which you spent too much time with a vehicle and ran out of time.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    This standard is specific enough to be applicable to all or most cars and trucks, yet general enough

Marshall you hit the nail on the head – we want the guideline to be specific where it counts (e.g. making participant judging as fair as it can be) while also being general enough to work well for a variety of shows. I’m glad to hear that this version of participant judging has worked well at a number of shows

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

If you have not already voted on these changes, please do so soon so we can get the standard finished for the 2010 season! Thanks!

lordairgtar
    Participant

Good rules. I vote yay. ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yay

Amigo2k

looks good!

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

yay. Im for participant ballot not allowing you to judge in your own class.

As for the critera. looks good,we can always expand upon the details as the doc. evolves.

moparkid25
    Participant

Go with it.

mdunn6
    Participant

” YAY “
    It is so hard to please everyone and try to make all happy

Judging in your own class we tried to put their car # & class letter in a odd marker color on the judging sheet. ( I = Mustang Cass )

This worked well & you can still judge a car that you like in your class.
    And spot it it easy when counting up the classes, it is a little more work for regestration but works good.
    THANKS !

wizards “Make It Shine!”

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Thank you everyone for your input and hard work. I have now finalized the standard for 2009 and published it online. You can view it directly in your browser at this link. We now need to begin work on contacting show organizers to try and get this standard in use at some of the shows for 2010 in order to guarantee fair classes and judging

Amigo2k

Here is some definitions on judging I ran across:

http://www.bugouts.com/pdf/pdf-judgecriteria.pdf

circletrack
    Participant

Suspension quality? Display?

The shows I’ve judged at, I find displays annoying and in the way. I’m not interested in all the foo foo stuff around the car, tons of pics, trophies and awards from every show they’ve been at.

Suspension… I really don’t think most judges have the time to get down on their knees to judge this category, and if they do ~ they can’t get back up. ;) As long as the rims/tires look good, that’s the important part.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.