We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows Judging: Will You, Would You, or Won’t You?

• Creator
    Topic
    moparkid25
    Participant

DDhemi and I had this conversation on and off for a couple of months.

Last year, I did judging at a few shows. Not the participant judging, actual points judging. I did it at Blanchardville to help Frank out last year. I also did it a Pardeeville, and was unable to enjoy one of my favorite shows :(

I really don’t like judging. I’ve decided this year that if I’m asked, I’ll decline to help. Attending a car show is my way to relax and have fun on the weekends. I work too hard all week (and sometimes on the weekends) to want to blast my way thru a pack of cars, and figure out which is the best by being nit-picky.

Another good point was brought to my attention by my significant other- I’m too anal when it comes to vehicles in a stock class. Stock is stock. Clones don’t bother me, as long as they are built correctly. I had a big problem with this at a show last year, a guy with a moded up Olds was in stock class. I told him he should be in modified, and he said “Well, I can’t compete with those cars, so I went in stock. I got one of the nicest cars in the class!” Needless to say I judged stock as stock, and homeboy didn’t get a trophy.

One other thing that always bothers me is that I have many friends who attend these shows. I feel judging there car is a conflict of interest. Now I know that you’re not judging the person, but its still a conflict. I think alot of it is I’m to the point where I don’t want to deal with someone who’s gonna get in my face because they didn’t win a $10 trophy……someone like me a few years ago-before the meds kicked in :whistle:

So, with that said, you won’t see me judging at any shows anymore. I want to enjoy myself. I want to look at the cars, talk with my friends, and maybe lay a lil rubber down on the way home.

How about you? What are your thoughts? Would you help if asked?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

Having to judge at a show would take the relaxation out of it. If the organizers were desperate for some help, I would be willing to pitch in. It is kind of a thankless job, someone will always be disappointed.

That seems to be the biggest problem at many shows, lining up enough knowledgeable people to do the judging. It is hard to keep your bias for certain types of cars out of it.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Zac you bring up many good points. As you said judging with your friends cars even if you try to be unbias will still be bias because subconsciously you’ll be influenced either by knowing more of the small details of the car since you’re familiar with it or favoring it since you know the person. That really is something that is tough to deal with when judging.

Moreover, as you said judging turns it into a hectic job of finding where cars are and actually judging them. I love coming to shows because its so relaxing and I can just enjoy the day. Judging would take the fun out of it for me.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.