We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Let’s start a conversation…..

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

about anodized aluminum versus stainless steel.

I am in the process of removing trim from my car, and I suspect that some of the parts (typically reproduction pieces) are not really stainless steel, but anodized aluminum. The cleaning and polishing processes are completely different. Stainless steel can be cleaned and polished to a chrome like lustre. Anodized aluminum trim pieces cannot be polished to a high lustre.

Is there a quick an easy way to distinquish between anodized aluminum and stainless? I have spent way too much time trying to clean and polish anodized aluminum to no avail. I have several pieces of anodized aluminum that I think I will have chrome plated, just for the shine and the polish.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

Could you distinguish between the two with the use of a magnet?

jonmandude
    Participant
    GTO Man wrote:
    Could you distinguish between the two with the use of a magnet?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Or weight?

Amigo2k

yup a magnet should do it …

78cruisingwagon
    Participant

Anodized aluminum Can be polished to a high lustre.
    It requires you remove the anodized coating by sanding or/or chemical.My aluminum anodized bumpers were pitted and cloudy.After stripping and polishing them people think that are steel chrome bumpers.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been told that Easy Off oven cleaner can be used to strip anodized aluminum, but I have never tried it. It does sound promising, though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Magnet.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.