We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Manual vs Automatic Transmissions

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Which do you prefer to drive, manual or automatic and why?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Auto

No matter who you are, you can’t shift faster than an auto.

We have a 2spd powerglide auto in the race car.

GTO Man

As far as being fun to drive I prefer a manual transmission. I enjoy shifting through the gears. Each car is a little bit different also in the way it shifts. I also like the control factor.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m kinda torn on this as this will dictate which direction I want to take my car when it comes time for the build-up.

For the 1/4 mile the auto is the way to go with the right torque converter and shift point setup, it will be perfect. However I do like to take part in autocrossing and this is where the manuel transmission shines to allow you to make quick changes when needed.

Maybe I’ll get a second Mustang. One for the drags and the other for the road course. icon_cheesygrin.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’m kinda torn on this as this will dictate which direction I want to take my car when it comes time for the build-up.

For the 1/4 mile the auto is the way to go with the right torque converter and shift point setup, it will be perfect. However I do like to take part in autocrossing and this is where the manuel transmission shines to allow you to make quick changes when needed.

Maybe I’ll get a second Mustang. One for the drags and the other for the road course. icon_cheesygrin.gif

Sure, whats another several grand right? icon_cheesygrin.gif

montefrazer
    Participant

Auto in the daily driver, my left leg hurts just thinking about rush hour. w00t.gif Stick in the fun car. 3 on the tree in the Frazer. I’ve got to get it on the road again this year.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Auto in the daily driver, my left leg hurts just thinking about rush hour. w00t.gif Stick in the fun car. 3 on the tree in the Frazer. I’ve got to get it on the road again this year.

Yeah you definitely need an automatic for that, otherwise they’d have to amputate your leg!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like Both!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I like Both!

Best of Both Worlds! thumbsup.gif (“I am Locutus of Borg, resistance is futile” :haha:).

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Quote:
    I like Both!

Best of Both Worlds! thumbsup.gif (“I am Locutus of Borg, resistance is futile” :haha:).

It would be cool to be a borg! WIFI access to everyone else. Play games in your head. Endless possiblities!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    I like Both!

It would be cool to be a borg! WIFI access to everyone else. Play games in your head. Endless possiblities!

You can do that now though! Have you seen that new technology where people who are paralyzed can use a computer? They can move the mouse just by thinking about it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

yea thats pretty crazy!

hpdog259962
    Participant

Both is good. My new project is trying to install a clutch on an automatic. This will be fin. Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like them both, for different reasons :
    Automatic is really useful and cool in the city :
    – it does make less noise
    – switching gears on a manual all the time ruins the clutch and the gearbox
    – it prevents from keeping too much attention on which gear and what speed you’re on which means more attention for the road.
    – usually the average speed is homogene so that it is much more safe for everyone.

Manual is better on roads such as mountain roads as :
    – one can decide at any time when to switch from one gear to the other
    – it is much better for the engine to be at the suitable rythm
    – once that understood, usually the fuel consumption is far more easy to anticipate (sometimes no gas stations in the middle of nowhere) and to control.
    – it is the best way to use the engine power for overtaking and control the engine brake

Finally, I prefer manual but I recogn that automatic is really good for urban driving. icon_wink.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I like them both, for different reasons :
    Automatic is really useful and cool in the city :
    – it does make less noise
    – switching gears on a manual all the time ruins the clutch and the gearbox
    – it prevents from keeping too much attention on which gear and what speed you’re on which means more attention for the road.
    – usually the average speed is homogene so that it is much more safe for everyone.

Manual is better on roads such as mountain roads as :
    – one can decide at any time when to switch from one gear to the other
    – it is much better for the engine to be at the suitable rythm
    – once that understood, usually the fuel consumption is far more easy to anticipate (sometimes no gas stations in the middle of nowhere) and to control.
    – it is the best way to use the engine power for overtaking and control the engine brake

Finally, I prefer manual but I recogn that automatic is really good for urban driving. icon_wink.gif

All great points! thumbsup.gif Like you said they are both good but each performs better in different situations.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have driven a manual most of the three years I have been driving. However, I did drive an auto for a few days – it was a lot of fun trying it out but I think I prefer a manual. Automatics are an easier drive, but a manual is more satisfying.

Am I correct in saying that automatic gearboxes are more prevalant in the USA than manuals? Manuals account for the majority of cars here in the UK.

I am a member of the Almera Owners’ Club, and I’ve been reading about a lot. I have seen it mentioned several times that the Almera gearbox is the weakest part of the car, and the synchro can wear easily causing problems. My gearbox oil has done almost 50,000 miles without a change, so I’m looking at buying the very best oil to try to protect it.

Enough rambling. Manual gets my vote! icon_biggrin.gif

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.