We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Manual vs Automatic Transmissions

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Which do you prefer to drive, manual or automatic and why?

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    montefrazer
    Participant
    Quote:
    I have driven a manual most of the three years I have been driving. However, I did drive an auto for a few days – it was a lot of fun trying it out but I think I prefer a manual. Automatics are an easier drive, but a manual is more satisfying.

Am I correct in saying that automatic gearboxes are more prevalant in the USA than manuals? Manuals account for the majority of cars here in the UK.

I am a member of the Almera Owners’ Club, and I’ve been reading about a lot. I have seen it mentioned several times that the Almera gearbox is the weakest part of the car, and the synchro can wear easily causing problems. My gearbox oil has done almost 50,000 miles without a change, so I’m looking at buying the very best oil to try to protect it.

Enough rambling. Manual gets my vote! icon_biggrin.gif

You are correct about manuals being rare here. Only a small percentage are stick shift. It is usually an extra cost option.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Auto is an extra-cost option in the UK I believe. They are most costly anyway – use more fuel.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Auto is an extra-cost option in the UK I believe. They are most costly anyway – use more fuel.

Yep most cars here are autos. Its rare when you see a stick.

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.