We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows Most Frustrating Aspects of a Car Show

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

What do you find as the most annoying aspect of a car show, and why?

— Modified cars that are in stock classes. How many modifications are allowable?

— One car winning multiple awards.

— Music selection or DJ’s

— Type of judging. Participant, spectator, or concourse.

— Lack of organization (e.g. parking when you enter)

— Poor selection of food

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    lordairgtar
    Participant

Dealing with the chimps they put at the entrance who do not think my car is an entry. This happened with both the 83 Marquis wagon and the newer HHR.

moparkid25
    Participant

GTO Man wrote:

Quote:

— Modified cars that are in stock classes. How many modifications are allowable?
    In Blanchardville, you are allowed three mods in stock class. This includes disc brakes, power steering added, etc. To me, this is really annoying because people with many mods at many shows will go in a stock class because they fear they can’t compete in a modified class. That’s why I like shows that have a stock, slightly modified, and major modified class. A camaro with engine mod’s and a stereo can’t compete against a pro-street Torino.

One car, one award. I hate to see one car win multiple awards and take away from other cars that deserve to win something.

The annoying broad from 3D sound. Don’t get me started again… I like to hear a variety of music, but I don’t want to hear the same 50’s doo wop over and over again. I’d just once like to hear some Led Zepplin or Black Sabbath at a show! Some day’s I’d even settle for Rod Stewart. A variety of music both old and new would be nice.

Participant judging should be banned. All that happens is one guy votes for his buddies and so on. Spectator judging should also not be allowed, because they give ballots to little kids who then vote for the new Corvette or Viper. Concourse judging is the most detailed, but then you need a judge that knows what he’s looking at. Out of the choices, I would take concourse.

Another PITA for me. Keep all the class cars parked together.

— Poor selection of food
    I’ve started to bring my own lunch to shows, its cheaper that way.

I think you covered most of my pet peeves. Other stuff that bothers me is chain drive wallets, bikes, dogs, and people who have no concern for your hard work and think they can touch your car, or lean against it.

mdunn6
    Participant

Judging ( NOT what your car is, but who u know ! )
    TROPHY HOOOOGS, The always end up next to you.
    Classes
    Parents that do not keep an eye on the kids, dogs ect.
    Signs or people for show cars & spector cars,(for parking)
    Cell phones
    Parking to close to the car next to u ( When they park you )
    Have a good day !

Amigo2k

I’m not a big fan of awards that are delayed or shows the purposely keep the tuners out.

ditto to multiple awards for one car (I was recently watching a TV show where one car received 7 awards…).

Shows that have the same issues year after year …

Anonymous
    Inactive

Regarding Modified cars in a stock class-I find this very frustrating, I know of one particular car that has a non original engine and has been converted from a automatic transmission to a 4 speed, this car always enters as stock and I think it should only be able to enter in a modified class to be fair to all the people with factory stock cars.

circletrack
    Participant

Normally 3 modifications are allowable, but it’s gotten VERY hard to tell what those modifications are. Each show is different, but it annoys me big time to see a car that is clearly modified in the stock class. My Chevelle is a perfect example of a “tweener”, the changes aren’t major, but they are enough to make the people in the stock classes upset. I’ve been told at more than one show the car is still considered stock, but don’t always feel right putting it in that class.

Oh boy, this one is a no brainer. There are so many cars at shows now, there is NO reason for one car to win multiple awards unless it’s Fire Chief, Police Chief, Mayors Choice. Judges should be made aware to spread the awards out, it’s not that difficult.

The DJ’s seemed to be better last year at most of the shows we went to, I heard a good variety of music. It’s hard to believe anything from the 60’s is 40 years+ old now, and the music selections should be accordingly. I like to hear everything from the 50’s to current.

I don’t like spectator judging at all, it turns into a popularity contest and the deserving cars don’t always win. It’s the kid down the street the hasn’t washed his car all summer long, or the one with the rust all over the quarter panels that wins. If you are going to have a judged show, have qualified judges do the work.

I like shows where the classes are all parked together, but also like to park with my club. I’ve also seen people go around and find out how many cars are in their class and move the cars to a different class to ensure an award, that’s low…. It’s much easier for a judge when the cars are together, I’m fine with either way.

— Poor selection of food

Not so much the selection of the food, but the prices!!! You can buy 8 hot dogs with buns for under $5, so there is no reason to charge $4 for a hot dog. Same thing with hamburgers, if you want people to purchase food make it reasonable. I love the Pardeeville show and their selction of food and the homemade PIES!!! :) I will say by the end of summer, I’m done with brats and burgers until spring!

My only other thing to add is if you say your’re going to have awards at 3 p.m., try to honor that promise. I understand judging sometimes gets behind a bit, but I’ve been to many shows where it’s 100 degrees in the shade and you stand in a parking lot for 45 minutes waiting for awards. I also think you should be there to collect your award, or the award goes to someone else. If you chose to leave at noon and the rest of us stuck around until the end of the day, you don’t deserve your award.

I also have an issue with people that don’t realize the time, effort and money we have into these cars. Have some respect for the cars and their owners ~ if it’s not YOURS, don’t touch it. I would never touch another person’s vehicle at Wal-mart let alone a car show. :ohmy:

lordairgtar
    Participant
    Quote:

The DJ’s seemed to be better last year at most of the shows we went to, I heard a good variety of music. It’s hard to believe anything from the 60’s is 40 years+ old now, and the music selections should be accordingly. I like to hear everything from the 50’s to current.

As a DJ, I really take these suggestions to heart. There is no way a DJ could have every song that someone might want to suggest, but I try. I would suggest that other DJs read car forums and learn from them. DJs are there to provide an ambiance, not to hear themselves talk. Do make the announcements, plug the vendors, thank the hosts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have seen lordairguitar at work (Wisconsin Early Mustanger’s annual Venus Ford, All Ford Show)the past several years in Cudahay.

He does a outstanding job, has a nice selection of music, and like he said above “make the announcements, plug the vendors, and thank the hosts”. Needless to say, but this is one DJ that does a car show proud.

jonmandude
    Participant

I am with the majority here.

Classes should be more defined.
    Judging should be by qualified, unbiased persons…ONLY
    music sucks. I hate hearing that same old rehashed 50’s stuff. Variety is the key, something for everyone.
    One trophy per car works for me as well. Again something for everyone. Don’t send people home empty handed while one guy can’t find room for the trophies and his children too.

What I hate most? year restrictions. Can we get past the “only up to (insert model year here) crap?” This is a hobby that we enjoy, and there is a new generation of hobbyists that need to be included. I know many don’t understand, but why disclude someone for your ignorance. Include everyone.

Xman
    Participant

1. Stupid people: Is that a Chevy engine? ahhh yes..(but thinking and wanting to say, no dumb ass it’s a Toyota..) :laugh:

2. Participant or spectator judging in small towns. That is alive and well.. I proved that last year as a test.
    Some of the people on here know which show, I put my name on the card as being from “small town” and won.

So the natives are clueless try it if you want, it really works.:P

3. Checkbook cars! as long as you have deep pockets seems you can win at most shows.

4. Trailer Queens…..we need a scout outside the car shows to actually see what cars come on trailers. Then we can catch them lying when we put them in the trailer class, and they said they drove it.

5. 50’s music. Pink Floyd’s first album was in 1966-67 wouldn’t that qualify as oldies? Does in my book!

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

Year restrictions are total crap.

Food that is overpriced is becoming more and more common. This year I plan on bringing my own each time.

It should always be one trophey per car unless it is a special award like mayor choice etc.

It would be nice for shows to put up more signs on the roads and by the show car entrance. Beaver Dam’s Swan City car show does a great job of this.

Judging should be by concourse only or non at all.

Club cars that belong to the group putting on the show should have their own class.

It would be fantastic if shows would get a better definition of “tuner car” Or they should be done as late model (1990-current import modified).

Mustangs, vettes, and camaros need to have their own classes across the entire model years span.

moparkid25
    Participant

Reading this I just had an idea for an award class –

A nicest club award.

You take 10 cars from each club attending a show, judge them all, then tally up the points. Most points wins award!

The only trouble would be finding non-biased people to do the judging.

circletrack
    Participant

But what if the club doesn’t bring 10 cars?? What if it’s only a couple Mustangs? :)

lordairgtar
    Participant

MMRJR wrote:

Quote:
    I have seen lordairguitar at work (Wisconsin Early Mustanger’s annual Venus Ford, All Ford Show)the past several years in Cudahay.

He does a outstanding job, has a nice selection of music, and like he said above “make the announcements, plug the vendors, and thank the hosts”. Needless to say, but this is one DJ that does a car show proud.

I think I’m blushing now. Thanks for the compliment.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Maybe have a requirement for a certain number of club cars present in order to qualify for the club award?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.