We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip My old 1985 Trans Am

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t have the car anymore – I wore it out :D But for 3-1/2 years it was my cummuter car 8) I picked it up for a sing because it needed some work, like exhaust, injectors, etc. I put some money into it and it ran great. But I didn’t do a full restore, just a repair and left it pretty much bone stock except for the shift kit that was already in it when I bought it. I paid $3600 for it in April 1999 with 114,000 miles on it. He had replaced the struts, tranny rebuild, new rotors and pads on all 4, and decent Potenza RE-910 245 50R-16 tires. And new (cheapo) paint.

It’s stock, 5L (305) Tuned Port Injection (Bosch, not Lucas), 3sp. auto with lockup and OD. And a T-top too.

It cornered like a go-kart with attitude, and I never did find a speed on the exit ramps that she didn’t take with no complaints from the tires 8) :) And if you stood on it, she’d even break those big ’50s loose shifting into second at about 45 MPH 8)

I traded her in Oct. 2002 because things major were starting to wear out, like the frame 😯 I’ll post pics of my current ride maybe, but maybe not since it doesn’t have “attitude” like this one :D

I wasn’t going to post these because it’s painful to see them, I loved the car that much. But I want to honor her memory 😥

ta1.jpg

ta2.jpg

ta3.jpg

ta4.jpg

ta5.jpg

ta6.jpg

ta7.jpg

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

edit

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

So Cap it looks like you finally broke down and decided to post the pictures eh?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Shadow57 – Yes indeed. Nothing like a little Armorall gloss formula to make those tires look new 8)

Garibaldi – Yes. I couldn’t help myself.

The paint looks nice in the picture, but it was crap paint. Horrible. It started flaking off – I suspect they didn’t even prime it or if they did, they gave it a coat of mineral oil before spraying the paint on. It was that bad. I had to touch up the paint every week …. 😥

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Shadow57 – Yes indeed. Nothing like a little Armorall gloss formula to make those tires look new 8)

Garibaldi – Yes. I couldn’t help myself.

The paint looks nice in the picture, but it was crap paint. Horrible. It started flaking off – I suspect they didn’t even prime it or if they did, they gave it a coat of mineral oil before spraying the paint on. It was that bad. I had to touch up the paint every week …. 😥

That’s really too bad about your paint! I guess the only way to really fix that permanently is strip it down, prime it, and paint it again. What a waste of work doing it 1/2 way without primer!

Anonymous
    Inactive

edit

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Earl Scheibe :P :P

I don’t even know if he’s still in business!

We used to paint our own cars. I won’t tell you
    how LONG ago that was! We used acrylic lacquer.

Sometimes we would be in the garage throughout the night
    wet-sanding. But the results were something else!!!

Seems like not very many guys are doing that anymore.
    Most just hand over the cash and let somebody else do it.

The others are busy on the internet starting their own forums! :P

You guys need some time for yourselves. Computers can
    drive you nuts…………..but I guess cars can too! :D

Especially when somebody hits your car just after you finished
    painting it. That happened a few times. :(

*cough* I don’t know who that could be that’s starting their own forum *cough*. 😆

I agree with you, alot of people are having their cars painted rather than doing it themselves. The results are fantastic though!

Cars and computers are both things you can obsess about, just take everything in moderation (like being a moderator). 😆

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.