Welcome Forum The Drag Strip New Mustang Thoughts

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been a long-time Mustang fan and have owned 2 in my life, an ’85 and an ’89. Loved both cars tremendously. However, the more I see the new Mustang the more I grow to dislike it. Why? The front of the car looks “slow” to me. What I mean is that “the lights are on but no-one is home” type thing. This has been growing stronger everytime I see one on the street. It doesn’t have the same aggressiveness as the ’60s model it attempts to emulate. Has anyone else ever thought this or, as usual, am I lost in my own little world? icon_rolleyes.gif

ps: is it even possible for a car to have a mental impairment?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    hpdog259962
    Participant

There is noone home, it’s all computers and limiters nowadays.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I agree. The classic mustangs (and all classic cars really) have a lot more style and power than todays cars. One thing about the new mustang that is okay is that they have attempted to bring back some of the styling from the 60s, although I think they still have some ways to go. You’re not alone.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have often wondered how the public would react if Ford (Chevy, etc.) manufactored a car that was a duplicate of the original (with legally required updates, of course).

If they came out with a new 1964 1/2 Mustang with a powerful V6, I’d buy one right away. How about you?

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

As would I! This goes along with my feelings on the new tbird. Instead of what they did with the styling and engine if they had brought back a ’56 ford tbird I’d buy it instantly.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    I have often wondered how the public would react if Ford (Chevy, etc.) manufactored a car that was a duplicate of the original (with legally required updates, of course).

If they came out with a new 1964 1/2 Mustang with a powerful V6, I’d buy one right away. How about you?

I have had that same thought for years myself. I think it would be a win/win situation for all involved. A “classic” car with fuel injection, ABS, qualilty factory air, air bags,etc etc. The only complainers would be owners of the original classics but they would now have a HUGE advantage to updating their cars if they wanted to. Listen up Ford, GMC, and others: there is money in dem der cars. Drogar-BigGrin(LBG).gif

GTO Man

Yes its too bad they don’t stick closer to the original when they bring it back. The new Mustang is better at what it does than the other car companies have done with their attempts at reviving a model. I think the new Dodge Charger is pathetic. They really should not call it a Charger. The new Ford T-bird looked nothing like the original.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

I have had that same thought for years myself. I think it would be a win/win situation for all involved. A “classic” car with fuel injection, ABS, qualilty factory air, air bags,etc etc. The only complainers would be owners of the original classics but they would now have a HUGE advantage to updating their cars if they wanted to. Listen up Ford, GMC, and others: there is money in dem der cars. Drogar-BigGrin(LBG).gif

Exactly! thumbsup.gif We are really on the same page here, I’m so glad I found someone else who feels this strongly about this as I do. One issue for some classic cars is the old technology, and it limits what you can do with it – for example maybe you can’t take it to a show far away because of the risk of it overheating. It would be great to have the classic styling with modern conveniences – like A/C.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:

Which is why you see more people going with the “restomod” route. You take the classic styling of a muscle car and build it with modern, high tech components found in today’s performers. If you have the money and the time you can build the perfect beast.

Take for instance the Year One Mustang:
    complete.jpg

A 1966 Ford Mustang that was built and outfitted with an 03 Mustang Cobra 4.6L 32 Valve engine making 390 HP in stock form. It’s mated with a six speed T-56 transmission, upgraded suspension and rear end differential.

If you want it, it’s there. It’s all about time, money and commitment.

GTO Man

Year One has done a great job with that Mustang and the Camaro. Like Mike says the parts are there if a person wants to pay for them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The “Restomod” idea is great! But, I’m talking about mass production for the entire population.

@Garabaldi, You’re 100% correct about the T-Bird. IMO, the latest incarnation(s) have been huge disappointmets.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Very true. I wonder where the american car companies are today. GM’s CEO announced that they won’t be producing hybrids. And this on top of it, think of the potential revenue that could be generated by bringing back the classic styling. If that happened I would be one happy guy! jumpy.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

By not building hybrids, GM is missing out on a huge opportunity. Just look at the Toyota Prius… GM has got to stop being so stodgy.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    @Garabaldi, You’re 100% correct about the T-Bird. IMO, the latest incarnation(s) have been huge disappointmets.

Quote:
    Yeah, they have been more of an embarrasment to the name rather than setting the bar even higher. I really like the “classic birds” as they are called – 55-57. The 60s birds are also great, but I don’t like how they turned it into a 4 door “grocery getter”.

Quote:
    By not building hybrids, GM is missing out on a huge opportunity. Just look at the Toyota Prius… GM has got to stop being so stodgy.

Exactly! The Toyota and Honda hybrids are selling like mad, and why – because oil just hit $66 a barrel today! :yikes: . People don’t want to pay huge prices for gas, so why not go with a hybrid. IMO GM is making a big mistake by not investing in more hybrid and hydrogen tech.

hpdog259962
    Participant

I don’t think they really can, the EPA would have a day with it.

Quote:

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Fuel efficiency has improved a lot, as well as safety. All modern conveniences could be integrated with the original design.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.