Welcome Forum The Drag Strip New (to me) shop machine

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I recently bought a combo milling machine/metal lathe from Steve (Prostreet)

I have finally gotten around to getting my pics in order, and getting a thread going on it…lol

Already put to use….
    tn_lathe_mill.jpg

The package deal came with a whole pile of goodies… end mills and carbide cutters, live centers, and assorted tools for the machine. I went ahead and purchased a few extras from a local tool place here after playing around on scrap parts for a while.

Boring bar for ID cutting…
    tn_boring%20bar.jpg

Machinist protractor for finding precise angles…
    tn_protractor.jpg

Titanium Nitride coated 4 flute end mills for good surface quality finishing….
    tn_TiN%20end%20mills.jpg

I have to say that this is one cool machine, and have to thank Steve for selling it to me.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Thanks again Don, another great thread! icon_cheesygrin.gif

GTO Man

What types of parts would you produce on the machine?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can pretty much modify or fabricate anything out of basic aluminum, 6061, T6 or even carbon steel.

The lathe can turn a piece up to 16″ in diameter, so I think that’s big enough…lol

I’ve made another thread entitled Custom Machining job that may show you some of the capabilities of the milling machine

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Always nice to have a few new toys eh? Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

For sure, but this toy will eventually find its’ way into our race shop where we will be building race cars for customers… It’s a tool, it just happens to be REALLY fun to use….rofl

GTO Man

Nice to have a machine like that, helps in making you a one-stop shop.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    I recently bought a combo milling machine/metal lathe from Steve (Prostreet)

What brand is the machine?

Also, how much did you pay (if you don’t mind telling us!)?

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s a Grizzly 4015z.

Click here for details…

It’s on sale right now at Grizzly for $850US

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Don!

GTO Man
    Quote:
    It’s a Grizzly 4015z.

Click here for details…

It’s on sale right now at Grizzly for $850US

Don, how has the machine worked out? Has it made a difference in your business?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Our race shop hasn’t started yet, we have zoning issues preventing us from getting that started here. We will have to wait and find a shop for rent/lease.

I have made a few parts for the race car, and a few side jobs here and there. It’s amazing what custom machining costs. I made some parts for a customer out of aluminum, and he was happy to spend the $65 for my 20 minutes of labor. If he were to buy the 12 parts I made, they would have cost him $60 each.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Don, how’s the machine? Have you purchased any other ones since? Any pics?

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Don,

How’s the shop and the tools? Any luck with that zoning issue?

Anonymous
    Inactive

A truly manly machine! icon_headbang.gif I’m not mechanically proficient to use something like this, but I’d sure love to have one anyway!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.