We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Perfect How-To For Car Photography

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Link

I came across this on another board. It contains plenty of helpful information so take notes an apply the concepts in your future carshows.

Nothing less than your best gentlemen. icon_cheesygrin.gif

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Wow great site Mike!!! I’ve added it to my bookmarks list, its really nice to have some tips about that to apply specifically to cars!! thumbsup.gif

hpdog259962
    Participant

Good Tips, thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, all those tips are good.
    If I may, I would say that the polarizer filter is maybe one of the best accessory one can ever use : if the sun is not bright enough, the contrast will be much better considering on which angle the picture is taken.

Some similar results can be obtained when the sun is behind the photographer, but we all know that the sun turns and is (very) often at the unexpected place unless being very patient.

The polarizer filter reduces reflection on glass surfaces, leather, plastic, but very, very little (almost none) on metallic surfaces.
    Besides, if colors are too bright, that filter can reduce some aspects of color saturation although bringing up the tone so that images taken won’t need much or any modifications for printing (according to the printer quality and its colorimery settings).

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yes, all those tips are good.
    If I may, I would say that the polarizer filter is maybe one of the best accessory one can ever use : if the sun is not bright enough, the contrast will be much better considering on which angle the picture is taken.

Some similar results can be obtained when the sun is behind the photographer, but we all know that the sun turns and is (very) often at the unexpected place unless being very patient.

The polarizer filter reduces reflection on glass surfaces, leather, plastic, but very, very little (almost none) on metallic surfaces.
    Besides, if colors are too bright, that filter can reduce some aspects of color saturation although bringing up the tone so that images taken won’t need much or any modifications for printing (according to the printer quality and its colorimery settings).

Are you talking about the polarize filter in photoshop?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well… No…
    I am talking about the real polarizer filter, a ring mounted on the lens.
    Many adapters exist for most size lenses.
    Circular polarizer filter as now most of lenses are autofocus.
    For old cameras, with “manual” lenses, linear polarizer filter can be used. icon_wink.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Well… No…
    I am talking about the real polarizer filter, a ring mounted on the lens.
    Many adapters exist for most size lenses.
    Circular polarizer filter as now most of lenses are autofocus.
    For old cameras, with “manual” lenses, linear polarizer filter can be used. icon_wink.gif

Where could I pick one of those up?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think you will have to order them, unless you can find a “real” photography shop in your area.
    Most of the biggest online shops are in NY where the prices are the best, then LA and Atlanta.

For New York, the following is probably the best shop I know :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=115

And these for B&W photography

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=330726&is=REG

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I think you will have to order them, unless you can find a “real” photography shop in your area.
    Most of the biggest online shops are in NY where the prices are the best, then LA and Atlanta.

For New York, the following is probably the best shop I know :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=115

And these for B&W photography

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=330726&is=REG

Yeah that was what I was wondering since I cannot really think of a photography store around here. I’ll check out those sites, thanks alot!! icon_cheesygrin.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is another very good shop I used to buy things from several times since 1989 : http://www.17photo.com/subcategory.asp?scatid=55

To my opinion these (with B&H photo) are probably the best shops as you can almost find everything reagarding photography.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Here is another very good shop I used to buy things from several times since 1989 : http://www.17photo.com/subcategory.asp?scatid=55

To my opinion these (with B&H photo) are probably the best shops as you can almost find everything reagarding photography.

They look like a great shop. I can see that the polarize filter really makes a big difference!! icon_eek.gif Its almost like you don’t realize how bad it is until you see what it could be.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, and honestly, it is not a “fake” effect, you just modify contrasts which is much more natural than software manipulated images with so many filters that you have a hard time to figure out how you achieved the final image.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yes, and honestly, it is not a “fake” effect, you just modify contrasts which is much more natural than software manipulated images with so many filters that you have a hard time to figure out how you achieved the final image.

Very true, no matter how many digital effects you apply it if the original image is crap the output one will still be bad. You need a good one to start.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am using a neutral density filter just to protect the lense on a Nikon cp4500. The kit I purchased from B&H also included a polarizing filter. I will try it on the next outdoor shots I do.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I am using a neutral density filter just to protect the lense on a Nikon cp4500. The kit I purchased from B&H also included a polarizing filter. I will try it on the next outdoor shots I do.

Yeah let us know!! Post a couple pics in this thread if you want and also you can upload some to the Photo Gallery as well. thumbsup.gif icon_cheesygrin.gif

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.