We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Picking up a car out of state

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

We may be picking up a car out of state in the near future. Am thinking of renting a truck and car carrier trailer from U-haul or another company. Any recommendations. THe car is located in Iowa.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Nick – Any recommendations on how to handle the transport of the car???
    I looks like the Madison Forum has been slow for several days.
    Marshall

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Do you have any suggestions for the car transport Marshall?

The forum has been slow, too bad we don’t have more action going on. Unfortunately I’ve been exceptionally busy lately and also working on another project – which you’ll notice here in the next couple of days jumpy.gif

GTO Man

Marshall

I have gotten some quotes from some auto transport companies. They have ranged from $375 to $900. Quite a range. I think most don’t want to bother with a short move. Yes it has been slow on the forum lately. I think things will pick up though.

Nick

Anonymous
    Inactive

Depends on what kind of car your picking up, is it a finished show car, donor car, winter project car etc? If it is a high dollar show car i really wouldnt go with a uhaul trailer but thats just my opinion, there strap and suspension systems on the trailers arent the best and with all the bumps over the road u have to recheck the straps on there trailers frequently throughout your trip plus the trailers are somewhat narrow so if your picking up a wide car watch the doors when loading it. When im picking up a show car say for instance one with low miles i typically borrow a friends all alluminum like flatbed with built in hooks for straps and i use 4-5 inch straps. if i pick up a project car then i use anything from a uhaul to a tow dolly. Again just my opinion and two cents worth :)

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Ok here’s the grand unveiling of the winter project. This car is a 1949 Studebaker Champion. It is not in finished condition. It has been stripped down to the metal, the bumpers and sidepanels are off. Its definitely a winter project. In this case what would you recommend?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congrats on the winter project!!!!! Out of curiosity, I will ask – What made you pick this car over something a little more mainstream. Was it uniqueness, rarity, or a special place in your heart for Studebaker’s?

I don’t know much about the Studes, so I can’t picture what a 49 Champion looks like.

Marshall

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

The answer to that is a simple one – someone has offered to give it to me to fix it back up, plus he has most of the new parts for it. How could I refuse!

If I had a choice of course I would have chosen something more mainstream, but hey a free car is something you can’t beat! :D

Anonymous
    Inactive

You betcha!!!!

Free cars = Good cars, and who knows where this project may lead. You may decide to do another Studebaker that is right up there with the best of them – the Hawk or an Avanti!!!!! Actually, I think that both, the Hawk and Avanti are way undervalued right now. I saw several at the Good Guys Show in Waukesha that were extremely reasonable. There just doesn’t seem to be a huge following right now, but given time, that will change.

Let us know what we can do to assist with your project!!!! I surf alot on ebay motors looking for parts for the fastback. I can always do companion searches for the Studebaker.

I am certain that I told you about the Studebaker guy, just outside of Verona, VA that has like a small salvage yard of vintage Studebakers. I didn’t stop to ask, and I don’t know if he has a website or not. His mailing address would be either Mt. Sidney, Va or Mt. Solon, Va, I can’t remember which, but we did drive past it several times this summer while on vacation in the Shenandoah Valley. Maybe try a Google search or Yahoo search for those hard to find parts that you invariably find that you need. Good Luck with the project!!!!

Marshall

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Ok here’s the grand unveiling of the winter project. This car is a 1949 Studebaker Champion. It is not in finished condition. It has been stripped down to the metal, the bumpers and sidepanels are off. Its definitely a winter project. In this case what would you recommend?

I would reccommend finding yourself a flatbed trailer (pull behind would work). a uhaul trailer would work in this case since the bodywork i assume isnt finished but again be careful loading it and watch the wheel straps if u decide to go this route. If it had the front clip off and everything id even tow dolly it home myself but if uve never driven with a tow dolly before loaded or unloaded id reccommend a lil practice first. Either route u go just be sure to stop every so often at a rest place or whatever and double check all your straps for tightness, specially the ones that go over the tires (if your trailer is equipped with them) as these like to loosen up over the road bumps. Good luck with your trip and post some pics of it when ya get it home! icon_punk.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have heard this advice before, about frequently, and I mean frequently, checking the straps. The going will be slow, but you don’t want your car shifting around and moving on you, on the trip back to town.

Marshall

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I have heard this advice before, about frequently, and I mean frequently, checking the straps. The going will be slow, but you don’t want your car shifting around and moving on you, on the trip back to town.

Marshall

Thanks for the advice both of you guys! I think we are going to have it shipped here, if we do in fact get it. We will go down and pick up all the parts and bring them home seperately, but I think the easiest (and safest for the car) way would be to have it shipped here

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good thinking, it will cost a lil more in the long run but that way if they pick it up and lose it or damage it on the way up it comes off of their insurance (hopefully if it is a reputable company). On the other hand picking it up yourself isnt bad either, roadtrips to get cars are always fun! icon_punk.gif thumbsup.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Good thinking, it will cost a lil more in the long run but that way if they pick it up and lose it or damage it on the way up it comes off of their insurance (hopefully if it is a reputable company). On the other hand picking it up yourself isnt bad either, roadtrips to get cars are always fun! icon_punk.gif thumbsup.gif

Actually suprisingly enough its about the same price to have it brought up here, so considering that fact too it seems like the right thing to do icon_punk.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Well unfortunately it may be a bit longer before we can go look at the studebaker. Unfortunately its not going to work out to go down this weekend like we planned, Nick and I are shooting for within 6 weeks now to go take a look and decide if its a worthy project

Anonymous
    Inactive

Probably a wise decision. This weekend, or should I say the remainder of this week (Thanksgiving Week) is not a good time to be on the road pulling a trailer or a collector car back home. It can wait.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.