We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Picking up a car out of state

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

We may be picking up a car out of state in the near future. Am thinking of renting a truck and car carrier trailer from U-haul or another company. Any recommendations. THe car is located in Iowa.

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Probably a wise decision. This weekend, or should I say the remainder of this week (Thanksgiving Week) is not a good time to be on the road pulling a trailer or a collector car back home. It can wait.

It would be nice to even get a look at it, I haven’t seen it yet although I have seen some pictures but they are from about 15-20 years ago

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, I can feel the anticipation building. Yes Sir, you definitely need, at minimum,to take a good look at your new “mistress”. Even if you can’t bring her home for awhile, you’ll have a good idea of what it will take to get the restoration under way. It goes without saying that you need to take a ton of digital prints to bring back with you, car or no car.

Marshall

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yep, I can feel the anticipation building. Yes Sir, you definitely need, at minimum,to take a good look at your new “mistress”. Even if you can’t bring her home for awhile, you’ll have a good idea of what it will take to get the restoration under way. It goes without saying that you need to take a ton of digital prints to bring back with you, car or no car.

Marshall

Yep, each day that goes by is harder and harder. I’m going to bring back a ton of pictures for sure, of course to give everyone here an idea of what we’re dealing with too! :D I have a feeling that the resto won’t be too hard, but like you say you don’t know until you check it out

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just remember what looks good on the surface may not be so good underneath but yeah take lots of pics before during and after restoration as it always makes for a good story at car shows or with friends or whatever. Keep us posted cause as im sure u are, we here are anxiously awaiting to see what the new addition looks like. thumbsup.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have shipped dozens of cars. This is what I do:

If you are not in a hurry, try this link:

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com

Go to the “Hauling schedule”…..it’s on the left side in a little menu. then post your load, to get some quotes.

I have used A-AAA transport now several times. they are nice and so far I have had great luck.

I also have hauled many classics myself. One thing most people do is tighten the straps to the point of nearly bending a rear axle or something. that kind of tension is not required. Cars with parking brake and transmissions do not move very much if loaded properly.
    I always check the straps after driving about 5 miles or so. Then maybe every 2 hours.

I have an enclosed trailer now, but i like to travel with an open one, because everybody gets to see the car!! That is fun!

Good luck!

GTO Man

Thanks for the information. I am going to check out the site. I wish I had the eqipment to haul it myself.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Thanks for the information, I’ll take a look into it too. It means a lot to talk to someone who has already used the service, that way we know they do good work

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.