Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Resurrecting a 1983 Yamaha Midnight Virago

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

“So… it was an offer I could not pass up, dear. I just couldn’t say no, honest…” ;)

I picked up another project.

1983 Yamaha Midnight Virago 750.

It’s a basket case. The previous owner is the brother-in-law of one of the guys at work. He had complained about an engine noise, and it was diagnosed as piston slap by a “bike tech”. The guy I work with removed the engine, and tore it all down for his bro-in-law, and then the owner decided he didn’t want to put cash into fixing it. The guy I work with ended owning this “bike-in-a-box” moving it from place to place for 4 years.

Last week he asked if I was interested in an 83 Virago…freebie…come get it out of my garage. So before I knew it, my own voice said “How ’bout I pick it up tonight?” (Sneaky thing, ain’t it? ;) )

Here’s a pic on arrival at my place…Really dirty, and in a hundred pieces…
    tn_just%20home.jpg

A pic of the partial engine….with the front jug and slug removed.
    tn_engine.jpg

Oh! Here’s the rest of the engine….oh no, what have I gotten myself into?????
    tn_more%20engine.jpg

Twin carbs that were gummed up with 4 year old gas. I tore them down, the needles were fine, so I simply cleaned out the debris and lubed everything up.
    tn_twin%20carbs.jpg

More to come in the next post….

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, and gas prices are sure to help me sell!

The right time to sell a bike is in the spring. So, I might advertise once now, and if I don’t get the price I want, I’ll advertise again in the spring when “bike fever” is in full effect. icon_cheesygrin.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Good idea, best of both worlds

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.