Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Shifting problem.

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Last weekend I went to a show in Wisconsin Dells. I drove my ’68 GTO. When I started it in the morning I pushed in the clutch and it stayed down near the floor. It did that twice and then seemed alright. I didn’t give it a thought until I was one my way back. I was just leaving a small town and going to shift from 2nd to 3rd. I could not get out of 2nd. I pulled to the side of the road and moved the shifter back and forth, and was able to get it out of 2nd. Havent had a problem since then, any ideas? I it has an M20 transmission with a Hurst shifter.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    montefrazer
    Participant

Check the engine and tranny mounts. If one or more is bad, the drive line can shift and cause the linkages to bind. Not sure about Pontiac, but in that era Chevy had a recall to add hold downs to the engine so it wouldn’t shift and cause acelerator linkage problems if the left motor mount broke. Also, have you lubed the cross shaft, Z bar, part of the clutch linkage lately?

GTO Man

Thanks for the info, I will make sure the clutch linkage has been lubed.

GTO Man
    Quote:
    Thanks for the info, I will make sure the clutch linkage has been lubed.

Never had the problem again all summer. May have the shifter rebuilt in the spring for next year.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.