We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows What do I do?

• Creator
    Topic
    lordairgtar
    Participant

Hello, most of you know me as a DJ at car shows or as a car artist. I was at the East Troy Lions show today and had a pretty good day, art wise. After words, I had to meet someone at Gus’ Drive In to draw their car. Did that and another person comes to me and wants their car done too. Gus’ wife comes out and asks what I’m doing and she wants to know if I’m getting paid. Yeah, I says, and she says Gus doesn’t know me and I have to leave. I went off site to finish the drawing as I had quite a bit of it fleshed in. Now in the very beginning of Gus’s cruise night thing I talked to him about DJing there but he had already hired Don Kasper…no problem there, it’s the nature of the business. So he does know me and has seen me there on numerous occasions drawing cars. I am sort of an icon or local legend (not my words) and I have been doing this for years, since about 1986. Yeah, long time, I’m old!! The problem I have is Gus didn’t have the cajones to say something to me himself, he had to send the wife. Also, many cars park across the street in the high school soccer fields as Gus’ lot can in no way accommodate all those cars. I young man with a raised pick up truck was in the soccer field with a Confederate battle flag and our own American Stars and Stripes displayed from the bed of the truck. Gus comes across the street to the field and tells them to remove their flags (plural as in both), not just the CSA battle flag but our country’s flag as well. Not even his property, yet he is telling people what they can display. Anyway, I am not calling for people to not go there or boycott, I would never do that. I am just venting. As to the art, I have done this many years at Solid Gold, Hardee’s, McDonalds in Racine, Quisnos in Waukesha, Heaven City on HWY ES, DiMarini’s and so many more than I can count. I am a part of the local car culture. I’ve even been out to Pistol Pete’s some years back (should I come back?) Thanks for your time, everyone.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    circletrack
    Participant

Not sure what to tell you, and I’ve never been to Gus’, but from my point of view, it sounds like Gus is getting a bit big for his britches and not realizing if NO ONE showed up for his events, he wouldn’t have a weekly cruise night. I’d let it roll off your back, you handled it the best way you could. What did other people think of both situations?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think you did best by going across the street. If he doesn’t own the property his opinion is mute.

I would though, stop in on a off day and ask to speak to him. Find out what is really going threw his head. Then you’ll be able to have a solid idea of what to do.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Yeah that is a tough situation. A good point is that you being there would be an attraction to bring some people to the cruise night to check out your work and talent, which would of course then would benefit Gus’s. I think lilwillie’s suggestion of stopping in to talk to him in more detail is a good idea.

GTO Man

I would agree that talking with him face to face is the best way to handle it. The more people in between you and him the more it can get distorted.

moparkid25
    Participant

He has no right to come across the street and tell anyone what they can and can’t display on there vehicle. I could see him telling the guy with the truck not to display the CSA stars and bars while on his property.

*(this is where I vent about people having a problem with the confederate flag. It is not a sign of racism, it is a flag for a group of rebels who wanted to have there own country and there own ideas ((some of which I don’t agree with…like slavery)). I really get tired of all these “groups” who demand the confederate flag be abolished. That flag is just apart of this country as the battle of the Alamo. I don’t hear anyone defending the native americans about our white ancestors taking there land…)*

Now that I’ve got that off my chest, I will give my two cents. I would go back and talk to him, but do it with some tact. If he gets all hot headed with you, post the details of the conversation here. This will get the word out that Gus might be an ass and change the perspective of his cruise nights. I’m not saying to go out and intentionally damage his business, but let people know how he acts and how his wife acted towards you and others.

:nos:

lordairgtar
    Participant

I would never intentionally hurt the guy’s business. In fact, he called me about stuff I said on the interwebs and explained his position in regards to my drawing cars at his cruise. I would at this time agree with his stand. After all he advertised, spent money, hired extra help, hired a DJ and built the cruise up to what it is now. We will meet at a later date to discuss terms. I am thinking he wishes for me to pay a sum per drawing I do for him allowing me to do my thing. I do not disagree with that and will work something out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Then it sounds like something can be agreed upon.

I do think he is correct to say what happens on his property and business. Whether I agree with him to get compensation for your efforts is another subject entirely.

I can see his point. If I had a car show at my shop and someone showed up to make money on my property I probably would have a issue with it. He may be upset you didn’t actually ask if it is ok for you to do your art there.

You can bring up the point that you could easily do it across the street and he gets no benefit. You could also show him a way to get his name out there better if the pictures you drew had a little caption on them.

“Drawn at Gus’s Cruise night” or something. Maybe he sees his name on the prints in some small way and realizes it is easy advertising. Anyone who asks the owner of the print where it was done they will say “DJ at Gus’s”. Maybe also offer him some art work for the place as compensation for being able to draw at his cruise nights.

This could end up being a win-win for both of you.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.