We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows What makes a show or cruise a "must attend"?

• Creator
    Topic
    jonmandude
    Participant

I have been thinking and thought I would ask this question.

What makes a car show or a cruise night an event that draws you to want to attend? And what makes you want to keep coming back?

We all have our favorites but what makes them so? Is it the location? Is it the amount of cars? Or is it the people hosting the show?

There are many many shows that have great locations but never really live up to expectations. And there are also many shows on blank parking lots that are “wow” events. So can it be location?

Some of the big shows have amazing cars but are a pain to go to due to crowding and costs. And many smaller shows (Deforest for example) are very enjoyable. So is it the cars?

I think most of us have people we enjoy as people and that is what draws us to certain shows. If not the hosts, the attendees are people we enjoy being around. I ask this because I do not think I will be at Quaker Steak and Lube next year. I have spent three years building that cruise night only to be treated as an unneccesary expense in the off season. I do understand that business is business but…

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    circletrack
    Participant

Jon ~ what gives? I would think that cruise night would be a certain money maker for QSL??

Personally, I like both the smaller shows, but appreciate going to the bigger ones to see the variety of cars I don’t see weekly. I also go back to the shows where I think I was treated fairly ~ award or not, and one that makes me feel appreciated. Yes, location does play a part in it, I know we’ve been to shows in July on blacktop that we haven’t been back to because it’s just too darn HOT and not enjoyable. I like shows that are held in parks and have a variety of things for everyone, and I really appreciate having the promoters tell you how much they like seeing you year after year and want you back next year.

As for cruise nights, I know we need to work on ours over the winter to make them more exciting, but I’ve also had plenty of people tell me to leave them alone. Cruise nights are meant to be just that, a gathering for a couple hours during the week with your friends with no expectations, pressure or anything else, just a good time to relax and break up the week. I think you did a great job and had a nice turnout each time I was there, sometimes I think people expect cruise nights to be all hype with awards, prizes and much more to keep the people coming from week to week. Next year I think there will be a cruise night every night of the week (that was probably the case this year too) if you choose to attend.

All in all, I think it’s personal preference. There are many shows I like that others don’t attend and vice versa. I attend shows more for the friendship and a chance to catch up with friends. The awards I won this summer are very nice and I appreciate them, but now what? :)

GTO Man

I think must attend shows and cruises have to do with a combination. The cars, people and setting. A great setting is nothing without the cars and people. Included in the people are the hosts. We have all made many friends going to the cruises and shows. That makes it allot of fun. And like has been said a parking lot with the cars and people can be a great show. I think the QSL cruise nights have brought together all three.

Jon, you have been the driving force behind the success with the Cruise at QSL. Hopefully things will work out for next year.

jonmandude
    Participant

Thanks for the support guys. I wish I got even half of this from the Lube. It has been a labor of love for me, love of both the cars and of the people I have met. I have always been appreciative to them for letting me do it. But now with that not happening things have changed dramatically for me there. The owner does seem to appreciate what I have done, and has told me that it would not work without me, but management is a different story. It is more of a “now that Jon has gotten it started, we can pay someone else less to continue” feel (money has never been a factor for ME). I have a meeting with the owner and GM on Tuesday. Maybe things will iron out-maybe not.

I have other places that will allow me to do the cruise, but I don’t think it would be as enjoyable for everyone. I do think that location is a factor. I would hate to see something I have worked three years to make go away.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We went to QSL once this summer. It would have been nice if they would have had specials for the car show people, it is quite an expensive place to eat. We will most likely not go back next year and go to Lodi, Sun Prairie and Madison if we go at all.

As far a s shows we like DeForest and Beloit and Don Miller , due to jobs it can only be Sunday shows.

circletrack
    Participant
    Quote:
    We went to QSL once this summer. It would have been nice if they would have had specials for the car show people, it is quite an expensive place to eat.

I learned after going to QSL a couple times that if you tell them you have a car, they will give you a 10% discount. (Correct me if I’m wrong Jon). We didn’t know that either. The food is kind of pricey, but it’s good and worth it, at least we thought so.

Also, there are no cruise nights in Sun Prairie anymore, both clubs have moved to different locations. I’m not sure if you knew that, we’d love to see you at Culver’s East Towne!

circletrack
    Participant

Jon ~ Sorry to hear of the troubles, it always seems that way when something is going good. I will say you have a huge benefit in the advertising you receive from the local radio station. I listen to 1670 off and on throughout the day and heard QSL advertised hundreds of times this past summer! I can’t remember if they are a sponsor, or what the situation is, but you should be proud of that!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jon,
    Thanks for your hard work and passion for old cars/old car people this past summer. I was only able to get out to the QSL twice, but I really appreciate having a location for a cruise-in on the West side of town. I hope that you are able to stay and prosper at QSL this next year.

Marshall

jonmandude
    Participant

I WILL NOT BE AT QUAKER STEAK AND LUBE NEXT YEAR!!!

Read my vent in the vent forum

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

For me, car shows are a mix of things. A lot of it has to do with the organization of it, the personalities of the host or host club, and the attitudes of the attendies. To me these things take precedent over the location.

Its for that reason I wont be going to QSL Cruise Nights, the Howards Grove show, the Janesville show, Fox Lake, and almost any show in Milwaukee.

And its for those reasons I will stay going to Manitowoc, Sun Prairie, Beaver Dam, HOH, and Shawano.

Amigo2k

The must attend shows are the bigger ones that attract cars/trucks from out of state, so you can see new cars, instead of the same ones every time.

moparkid25
    Participant

First and foremost, let me express my thanks to Jon for all he has done at QSL this past year. It was both enjoyable and exciting to have a cruise night closer to home. I’m sorry to hear that you will not be at the lube anymore, it makes me want to not go there myself.

Sounds like typical bean counter politics. I’ll catch up in the venting thread…

Now, things that draw me to car shows…

-How well the show has been conducted in the past

-quality of girls in the area jumpy.gif

-turnout

-weather

All factors that decide wether I’ll go or not.

icon_headbang.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    All factors that decide wether I’ll go or not.

Or should you say weather or not I’ll go? w00t.gif sunny.gif sunny.gif

Have you found that year to year, you enjoy going to many of the same shows with a few new ones speckled in, or do you like to wipe the slat clean each year and try as many new and different shows that you’ve never attended before?

Anonymous
    Inactive

In my case, I am still building my “experience base”. I will tend to return to the shows that were enjoyable in past years, with a sprinkling of new shows thrown in for variety. 2008 will be my fourth year of attending the shows, so I am looking forward to a few new ones (still haven’t made it to Watertown or Reedsburg) and many of the old ones that I have attended in the past.

Marshall

GTO Man

After this winter if there isn’t snow on the ground it is a ‘must’ attend.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    After this winter if there isn’t snow on the ground it is a ‘must’ attend.

:haha: well put

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.