We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows What makes a show or cruise a "must attend"?

• Creator
    Topic
    jonmandude
    Participant

I have been thinking and thought I would ask this question.

What makes a car show or a cruise night an event that draws you to want to attend? And what makes you want to keep coming back?

We all have our favorites but what makes them so? Is it the location? Is it the amount of cars? Or is it the people hosting the show?

There are many many shows that have great locations but never really live up to expectations. And there are also many shows on blank parking lots that are “wow” events. So can it be location?

Some of the big shows have amazing cars but are a pain to go to due to crowding and costs. And many smaller shows (Deforest for example) are very enjoyable. So is it the cars?

I think most of us have people we enjoy as people and that is what draws us to certain shows. If not the hosts, the attendees are people we enjoy being around. I ask this because I do not think I will be at Quaker Steak and Lube next year. I have spent three years building that cruise night only to be treated as an unneccesary expense in the off season. I do understand that business is business but…

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

Manitowoc is a cool show to attend…its a good mix of all car types….unfortunatly I didnt get to go in 2007 (blew the coolant lines off of my plenum on the drive up).

lordairgtar
    Participant

I’m more familiar with the Milwaukee area shows, but I want to get out to the Madison area this year. What I like about cruise nites, or what i think makes them special, is the car people and the business manager/owner as a team. I DJ cruise nights and car shows and my current Dairy Queen nite in Muskego can be like pulling teeth. The DQ owner likes the cars and people well enough, but he really needs to see the receipts at the end of day show an improvement. Since he pays me to DJ the show, I agree. Another thing that irks me is I have to give up the 3rd Thursday to an Elvis impersonator, and a very bad one at that. Bad Elvis and karaoke doesn’t mix well with the car crowd. They just want the music in the background and to hear the announcement of door prizes.

GTO Man

What kind of turnouts do you normally get for a cruise night? Its nice when the business owner is out there talking with the car people. There seems to be many cruise options in the Milwaukee area. That must be frustrating giving up a night for a poor entertainer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

lordairgtar,

I think we may have met. Maybe last year at the Boondocker street rod show in Oconomowoc/Concord early in the year? You weren’t doing the music, but you were doing a piece of art work of a car that was parked behind me. I came over and admired your handiwork and you introduced me to your wife who was with you at that show. Do I have it right, or do I have you confused with someone else? Didn’t you also DJ the Wisconsin Early Mustanger’s All Ford/Mustang Show in Cudahay at Venus Ford?

By the way, you do have the special gift of great artistic ability when it comes to our beloved cars!

Marshall

lordairgtar
    Participant

GTOman, we get about 40 to 60 cars at the Muskego DQ. Hope to see more this year. What really gets me is I do the flyers and include the “Elvis” guy on my flyer. Not even a thank you. Dude has the personality of mud icon_cheesygrin.gif

MMRJR, Yes that is me you saw at Boondockers, and yes, I did DJ at Venus Ford. Looking forward to both shows this year. I am glad you like the art. wave.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

What day does everyone prefer for shows on the weekend, Saturday or Sunday? Do you find you often have scheduling conflicts on one of the days?

moparkid25
    Participant
    Quote:
    What day does everyone prefer for shows on the weekend, Saturday or Sunday? Do you find you often have scheduling conflicts on one of the days?

Like Jesus, I prefer to rest on the seventh day jumpy.gif

I prefer them on Saturdays. Sundays can at times make for a long day and Monday morning seems to come awful fast. I think you get a better turnout on a saturday also unless its a big show like Blanchardville. Doing double-duty on the weekends (both sat and sun) is tough during the hot, humid season.

It’s only 8 weeks to the Dells thumbsup.gif Is anyone else besides cirlcetrack and myself spending the weekend up there?

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.