We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip When Restoring A chassis ….

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 19 years ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Folks
    When restoring your classic or hot rod chassis, what do you look for ?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

First thing I look for is the amount of money I have in my wallet! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif
    After reality hits home I consider what amount of work I am willing to do on the car I want and if I am capable of doing the work the car needs. My current car, a ’73 Opel Manta A, has an overall good body but needs work on the frame, which is quite rusty and religious (ie: holey icon_cheesygrin.gif ). I am practicing up on my welding skills to correct the shortcomings and also learning engine work. All in all I have to be willing and capable to give the car what it needs. We have an ongoing problem in the online Opel group I also belong to in that “kids” will by an old Opel GT and slice it apart to install a V-8, only to find the work involved is well above their expertice. Or they can’t affort someone to do it for them so they end up junking the car and another classice car goes to the crusher. We have lost more vehicles than I care to think about! icon_sad.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

moving to the General Forum, probably a better place for it. thumbsup.gif icon_cheesygrin.gif sunny.gif

GTO Man

I would be looking for any suspect areas for damage. First I would have it sanblasted so that inspection would be easier.

montefrazer
    Participant

I am practicing up on my welding skills to correct the shortcomings and also learning engine work. from opeler

If you need any help or hints with the welding, just ask. This is what I do for a living. thumbsup.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Steve,
    Thanks for the offer of help me with my welding skills, lord knows I need it! I am currently getting ready to go to Vegas for a week beginning this Monday so I will be in touch with you when I get back. Maybe if I am lucky I can afford to hire my own private welder, IF the gambling Gods are generous! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

montefrazer
    Participant

Good luck and I hope you win lots of $$$.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Steve,
    Thanks for the offer of help me with my welding skills, lord knows I need it! I am currently getting ready to go to Vegas for a week beginning this Monday so I will be in touch with you when I get back. Maybe if I am lucky I can afford to hire my own private welder, IF the gambling Gods are generous! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Good Luck!!! Hope you win it big!!!! w00t.gif w00t.gif

You’ll still visit the site everyday from your hotel right?? Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif (joking of course!).

Have a good time!! icon_cool.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi GTO
    I tell quite a few of my customers the same thing . You have made an excellant choice . How are you realy going to know what you are in for untill you blast it and see the real deal . We just sent one out about a month ago and we were realy suprised when it came back . Now it was not beyond repair or anything , but it was quite scaley and require some filling to make it look pretty. Now it was under a 1978 ford f250 super cab
    that a customer is going threw the drive train 460 .030 over update to a 6 speed with a gear driven transfer case . and rebuilt front & rear diffs.
    Ok get the picture he’s doing quite a job . I told him I would cut the pitted area out and replace it but it was still left with lots of metal and it was only the area around the core or Radiator suport. My point is that it did not look that bad with all the rusty scale and grease and road grime . We are left to assume nothing always a good idea to go the distance and figure the worst .
    When it ends up less than that its all good . icon_cheesygrin.gif

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.