We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum Car Shows Why don’t you attend cars show any longer?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I read with interest the comments of the core group of members that post to the forum’s rate the car show area. Many vaild comments and recommendations. Plenty of reasons why they attend.

I would like to change the question just a bit and address those who no longer attend car shows but still are active in the hobby.

If you no longer attend car shows what are some of the reasons for your decision not to do so?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    jonmandude
    Participant

There are many reasons why I am not very active in going to car shows. I am sure that many others share these same reasons.

Time is number one. I work mainly weekends. I can attend shows but either have to leave early or show late, if at all.

Family is number two. Many family events take place on weekends. I hate to admit it, but family is more important than showing my car.

Gas prices. With our beloved cars not being the most fuel effiecient, shows that are not close by are ruled out.

Boredom at the shows. It is enjoyable meeting others, but what if you go by yourself? Sitting on a parking lot or in a park with no one to talk to that you know is pretty boring…and I am not a big fan of oldies music. I would just rather drive or work on my car. That is why the import shows draw so much more than classic/muscle shows do. They throw much more in them. There is music, racing, vendors (and not just car stuff), contests, gaming rooms, and a few other things to draw your attention beyond the show cars. You get more for your money.

finally, burn out. After many shows they all start looking/feeling the same. Some people want something new.

Anonymous
    Inactive

jonmandudemakes some good points. Those of us who do go to shows frequently have talked about some of these issues, such as the cost of gasoline. The cost of gas has prevented/precluded me from attending some shows further out, such as Reedsburg, Montello, Milwaukee, etc.

There certainly is some down time and boredom at the shows, too. I use that time as private time, to walk around and look at cars on my own, and take photographs.

I have noticed this year that after attending and participating in shows on Saturday, that I have a lot less energy and enthusiasm for the Sunday show, and my car is never as good on Sunday as it is on Saturday. And, it does take a time committment to attend and participate in the weekend shows. If my children were younger, I would not be active with Saturday or Sunday shows.

moparkid25
    Participant

Jon makes many valid points. I used to hit up every show I could, but in the last year I’ve noticed that sometimes it’s nicer to stay home and get caught up on chores than be gone all day. Also, sometimes having “gotta go show” mentality can burn you out, especially in the later months of the summer. Here’s a few of my own that persuade me about not going to shows:

1. Going to a lot of local shows you see the same cars over and over again. I figure that if I’m getting bored seeing other peoples’ cars at shows, they’re getting bored seeing mine. I like to go to shows where I’m going to see new stuff.

2. Time. Now that I’m getting older and noticing responsibility, sometimes there are other things more important than attending a show.

3. The gas thing doesn’t phase me. If I want to drive my car, I’ll buy the fuel. I could waste that money in a lot worse places.

4. I enjoy owning and driving a nice muscle car more than I enjoy showing it. No offense to anyone else on the forum, but in the last year I notice myself not interested in looking at any other cars at shows unless there a MOPAR. Mostly what I look at these days is attention to detail and the quality of the restoration, not what brand it is.

5. Participant voting. I’m just as guilty of this as the next guy, but I don’t like voting for other cars at shows because I find myself voting for my friends and other WCC members in there class. I prefer to be judged fair and square, by a panel of judges. Non-biased always gets a fair turnout, and in hindsight 3 different people could judge a class and get a totally different outcome.

6. There is just certain shows I will never attend again. Poor judging, terrible setup, etc. This can put a damper on anyone’s view of a show.

I didn’t do as many shows as I normally do this year, and unfortunately next year will be the same. My dad is building a new house and I’ll be plenty busy helping him. However, during show seasons I like to try new things – ddhemi and I were talking about this earlier and decided it would be nice to cruise to shows we’ve never attended next year. I’m also very dedicated to the MOPAR-only shows such as Don Miller, Belvidere, and Dubuque. Just like the seasons, this could change in the blink of an eye. I really enjoy attending shows like Monroe, Platteville, Albany, Reedsburg, etc.

Amigo2k

I agree with the comments from the previous posters. This year I went to 2 shows in Milwaukee and saw many excellent cars that I have not seen before.

I too have found myself looking at the same local cars and becoming bored. That is why I enjoy the shows that have other things going on or are in locations that you can walk to a different place to do something different.

I’m pretty sure that next year I’m going to limit the number the shows I attend mainly for this reason. That is, seeing the same cars, wanting to focus on other things (family and friends).

I still really enjoy the cruise ins since you are typically only there for a couple hours at the most. I personally would rather meet up with a group, plan a route drive it, stop somewhere to chat and then call it day. Enjoy the cars by driving them.

This winter I was planning on starting a post, which is what else do you want to see/do at a car show? The west coast, east coast and down south typically have a bunch more things going on at shows, then just folks parking and sitting behind their cars….

GTO Man

Many good points brought up. I have also found that it is more interesting when there are other things going on besides just the show. That’s why a show held in a downtown is allot of fun. Entertainment at a show makes a big difference, I thought Tony Rocker did a great job at the Sun Prairie Show.

As far as the distance to the show the cars are so much fun to drive that the farther away the better. It is cool to get a group going together.

There are a good variety of cruise-in’s in the Madison area now. I think Quaker Steak has done a great job on the western side of Dane County. That night with the Good Guys and Johnny Rocker was great. It is nice to be able to spend some time but not take up the whole day.

circletrack
    Participant

Mustangsrus ~ tell us why you don’t attend shows? I’d be interested to hear your reasoning and opinions.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did not go to many in the mid 90’s. Thats just because my dad started to
    do over the road trucking and was not home on the weekends. We went to
    car shows to spend time togather (being my parents were divorced). Cars
    was how my father and I bonded. I have started again since I meet my boyfriend. He shows his car (I clean it of course). I only show mine at the
    Edgerton shows. It’s nice to go to differant shows with new cars to see, but its nice to go to the smaller shows were people know who you are.
    I don’t think I have ever been bored at a car show.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Car Show are great. I have been going to Car Shows for more than 27 years. This year I have attended only a few shows as a participant. In fact I have attended more as a judge than a participant. Since I have been helping to plan and coordinate a few shows this year I was interested in what factors keep hobbist from attending less shows than they did in the past. I really appreciate the responses to my question. I agree with many of the comments and I to find myself less motivated to attend than in the past. However, my interest in planning and coordinating Classic Car Shows and Car Shows remains high.

moparkid25
    Participant
    Quote:
    Car Show are great. I have been going to Car Shows for more than 27 years. This year I have attended only a few shows as a participant. In fact I have attended more as a judge than a participant. Since I have been helping to plan and coordinate a few shows this year I was interested in what factors keep hobbist from attending less shows than they did in the past. I really appreciate the responses to my question. I agree with many of the comments and I to find myself less motivated to attend than in the past. However, my interest in planning and coordinating Classic Car Shows and Car Shows remains high.

Which shows do you coordinate and/or judge at?

jonmandude
    Participant

I think you could look at the shows that are really successful (500 or more cars) and see what they are doing differently.

After being in the import scene for a few years, I saw a very different way of doing shows where the cars are only a part of the event, not the whole. Hot Import Nights and NOPI go after the youth lifestyle thru the cars as a common denominator. The cars are a backdrop, the show is so much more.

I wish classic and musclecar shows could find a way to do something for the slightly more adult, but not yet retired, crowd. Something with more for the families and also for the single adults. It seems that the entertainment is mostly directed to the retired or almost retired crowd.

moparkid25
    Participant
    Quote:
    I wish classic and musclecar shows could find a way to do something for the slightly more adult, but not yet retired, crowd. Something with more for the families and also for the single adults. It seems that the entertainment is mostly directed to the retired or almost retired crowd.

I agree with Jon. Though I don’t like to admit it, I’ve been to some of these import shows and had a blast with everything else that goes on. However, I’m not sure that the older crowds at these shows would be cool with a bikini contest, techno-dance tent, etc. I’m fine with that, but I’m one vote icon_cheesygrin.gif

icon_headbang.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

We tend to pick a couple shows a month to go to, and usually just the Sunday ones. With muscle, hot rod cars the thought is the whole car, body, engine, interior and correctness depending on the show.
    Seeing the imports is fine, but there is more to the car than the thumping stereo which is VERY ANNOYING. yeah its loud, don’t care, that is why at some they are not welcome.

We go and we don’t trophy hunt which is what a lot go for. we go for fun to see other cars and talk to other people. We often leave early. Yes locally you will see the same cars, but sometimes with an old car you don’t want to travel too far from home.

jonmandude
    Participant
    Quote:
    With muscle, hot rod cars the thought is the whole car, body, engine, interior and correctness depending on the show.
    Seeing the imports is fine, but there is more to the car than the thumping stereo which is VERY ANNOYING. yeah its loud, don’t care, that is why at some they are not welcome.

That is why I like rat rods so much. It is not about correctness but expression. I hate the whole “that part is not correct for that car” thing. I do what I enjoy, if you don’t like it, don’t do it to your car. Cars are an expression of ourselves, works of art, not works of perfection by anothers’ standards. At least to me. You are entitled to your own view as well.

Also I built my imports for speed and handling. I never had a thumping stereo. There are many good kids out there who do the same. I think so many of them get a bad rap because of the thumping stereo people. That is why I try never to disclude anyone who is a “car guy”. I think we can learn from the younger generation as much as they can learn from us. And being together is the only way. Seperating “them” from “us” only creates a gap. I look at it this way. When I was 18 years old I had a 10 year old car, for me it was a muscle car. The older crowd had their 50’s Chevys and their street rods that I could not afford. They probably looked at my Torino as a pile of crap. But to me it was what I could do and afford while I was growing and learning (I loved that car by the way). The younger guys today have the imports as their 10 year old cars. And the thumping stereo is what is cool in their generation like air shocks and big back tires was cool in ours.

Hell, my parents didn’t appreciate my Judas Priest in the same way as I don’t appreciate my nephews hip hop.

moparkid25
    Participant
    Quote:
    Hell, my parents didn’t appreciate my Judas Priest in the same way as I don’t appreciate my nephews hip hop.

“Livin’ after midnight,
    Rockin’ til the dawn,
    lovin’ til the mornin,
    then I’m gone,
    I’m gone…” icon_punk.gif

I love that song.

icon_headbang.gif

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.