We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Would you buy a GM or Chrysler right now?

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

If you were looking to buy a new car would you consider buying a GM or Chrysler vehicle? Would the fact that they have taken government money influence your decision?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    mr_skeets
    Participant

If I were in the market for a new car it’s hard to say for sure. I’ve been buying Fords for the ten years and that not because I think that they are the best. I have my reasons and some may think it’s stupid. But back to the question would I or wouldn’t. If GM had something that I really liked I more than likely would. I know that they build a good product and with the ones that I have bought years ago I never had any trouble. Where I work GM’s are the only thing we buy. Like I said they build good products and never had trouble before. Now would I buy a Chrysler. I don’t think so and it’s not because I don’t think they build junk. Because I don’t think that they do. I’m afraid that they we be the ones that might die. I mean that if any may not survive I’m afraid they may not. I know look back and they did a great job and pulled themselves back from going under in the 80’s. But lets all remember who was running the show back then. Lee Iacocca was an automobile man. He’s the father of the Mustang. Now look who is runnig Chrysler. Not saying that one man is the problem but it’s an investment group. Investment groups are more worried about the bottom line and that’s it.
    I don’t want anyone thinking that I’m down on GM or Chrysler because I’m not. I hope that the industry survives and get back on the feet because too many good people are effected by the bad times right now. I know there are alot of people that were down on the auto boys and I’m one that has been before but, Nobody needs this kind of problems.
    I’ll shut up now.

moparkid25
    Participant

Absolutely.

I’ve been a Moparkid ( :whistle: ) my whole life. I grew up loving Charger’s, cuda’s, and SuperBees. I’ve always liked Chrysler’s styling from the 60’s and 70’s. Granted, the late 70s and 80s and most of the 90s were pretty bland i.e. my grandparents K-car, but when the Germans bought in they brought performance and styling back. I wasn’t a fan of the Charger being a 4-door, but look how many you see on the road! They’re obviously a very dependable car. The Challenger will bring a lot of people back also. The ram truck is no Silverado, but powerful, dependable, and has looks that could kill.

GM is always my first choice for everyday vehicles. I drive a Silverado, my mom, grandma, and girlfriend all have Impala’s, a few of my friends have GTO’s, and the rest all mostly drive GM trucks and SUV’s. I’ve worked in a GM dealer since I was 16. IMO, it is the best brand to buy. With the reintroduction of the Camaro, GM will get back in the performance market. Let’s face it, GM has put “SS” badges on everything lately, but only the supercharged v6 and the v8 Impala’s/monte carlo’s really deserve it. The dependibility of a GM vehicle is second to none.

lordairgtar
    Participant

I bought my very first new car in 2007. It is a chevy, and yes I would buy another one

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sure. If I can score a 2010 Camaro with the Imperial Blue Metalic I am in.

Xman
    Participant

GTO Man wrote:

Quote:
    If you were looking to buy a new car would you consider buying a GM or Chrysler vehicle? Would the fact that they have taken government money influence your decision?

Yes, I really don’t care what I drive everyday as long as it has a warranty..

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

If they actually produced something that I liked, then perhaps I would consider it. But then again, I’ve had bad luck with GM, Chrysler, and Ford products in the past which makes me very wary of buying from them again.

So for now Im content to avoid the big 3.

jonmandude
    Participant

Absolutely not. I have not liked the build quality or reliabilty of the big 3 for years. If I am buying a new car I look for quality and reliability above everything else, and the big 3 don’t have have it. Nissan, Honda and Toyota vehicles outlast and get better gas milage…not to mention they do it at a better price. I love the look of the new Challenger but it is built on the same platform as the Charger and I have known two people that purchased Chargers only to trade them in two years later because of too many issues. I purchased a new Chrysler Sebring in 2002. I liked how the car looked and drove, but I was in the shop every other month. Yes it was all fixed under warranty, but that isn’t the point. I have owned 4 Nissans and not one of them ever had any problems… with over 200,000 miles on them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

jonmandude wrote:

Quote:
    Absolutely not. I have not liked the build quality or reliabilty of the big 3 for years. If I am buying a new car I look for quality and reliability above everything else, and the big 3 don’t have have it. Nissan, Honda and Toyota vehicles outlast and get better gas milage…not to mention they do it at a better price. I love the look of the new Challenger but it is built on the same platform as the Charger and I have known two people that purchased Chargers only to trade them in two years later because of too many issues. I purchased a new Chrysler Sebring in 2002. I liked how the car looked and drove, but I was in the shop every other month. Yes it was all fixed under warranty, but that isn’t the point. I have owned 4 Nissans and not one of them ever had any problems… with over 200,000 miles on them.

There is the kicker. I’ve had a bunch of GM’s go well over 200K with little problems.

If you love it, it will last forever. I’ve seen owners of Honda’s, Toyota’s, Chevy’s and Ford’s run them into the ground in 100K then see different owners in the same cars take them well past 200K

GTO Man

There are good and bad with all brands. Sometimes they have major issues with problems relating to specific parts. With GM and Ford there were many issues with intake manifold gaskets a few years back.

Personally I would consider a Ford since they have positioned themselves to not need a government handout, at least for now. I don’t like to purchase products from a company that has been mis-managed for many years. The people at the top have gotten rich for poor performance.

jonmandude
    Participant

lilwillie wrote:

Quote:
    jonmandude wrote:

Quote:

There is the kicker. I’ve had a bunch of GM’s go well over 200K with little problems.

If you love it, it will last forever. I’ve seen owners of Honda’s, Toyota’s, Chevy’s and Ford’s run them into the ground in 100K then see different owners in the same cars take them well past 200K

Well said. I guess it all relates to each persons personal experiences. I had an S-10 that spun a bearing with only 50,000 miles and some of the plastic pieces in the interior had broken or showed wear. In contrast, I had a Nissan Hardbody pickup, which I purchased new in 1990, that I abused (and I do mean abused) to over 208,000 miles. When I traded her in, she still ran like new and the interior showed little wear. That vehicle sold me on Nissans. I have owned 3 mopars, 1 Ford, and 2 Chevys, none of them gav eme the reliability of that one Nissan. Although in my mind no vehicle compares to a classic muscle car, I doubt that I will ever purchase a showroom new vehicle from a Detroit automaker again.

Amigo2k

From Consumer Reports:

Brand Rantings

Consumer Reports gives each automaker a report card on the reliability of its models and scores from vehicle tests. The grades are on a 100-point scale:

Honda 78
    Subaru 75
    Toyota 74
    Mazda 73
    Mercedes 72
    Nissan 72
    VW 72
    BMW 72
    Hyundai 70
    Volvo 65
    Mitsubishi 64
    Ford 63
    Suzuki 60
    GM 57
    Chrysler 48

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I like how we have a wide range of viewpoints and experiences on this topic. On the one hand, some people have had nothing but die hard loyalty to the big 3 because of their personal experience of reliability. On the other hand, others have had terrible experiences and consequently have turned to the reliability and quality of makers such as Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. I think the Consumer Reports is an important tool and measure but also personal experience certainly is a factor

jonmandude
    Participant

I think Consumer Reports is a factor when there is no personal experience to draw from. Personal experience will always be a factor in any purchase. The old “screw me once shame on you, but screw me twice shame on me”

moparkid25
    Participant

Garibaldi wrote:

Quote:
    I like how we have a wide range of viewpoints and experiences on this topic. On the one hand, some people have had nothing but die hard loyalty to the big 3 because of their personal experience of reliability. On the other hand, others have had terrible experiences and consequently have turned to the reliability and quality of makers such as Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. I think the Consumer Reports is an important tool and measure but also personal experience certainly is a factor

I agree. I’ve only ever owned Chryslers and GMs. My mom had a Ford Van that was equipped for my brother, so we only used it when needed. It was a POS-The body and interior were great, but the drivetrain constantly needed attention…one problem that comes to mind is you couldn’t keep the valve covers from leaking oil. I must put 4-5 sets of gaskets before I got it to stop, and anybody who’s worked on those older 302’s knows how much fun they are when you have to take the upper plenum off….and like I said it was a van.

I also had a Dodge Stratus R/T brand new in 2003. First brand new car I ever bought = POS. Ended up getting bought back under Lemon Law after a year and a half of litigation. Technically it was only a Chrysler by name, it was really a sister to the Eclipse manufacutred by Mitsubishi. Last time I checked, Mitsubishi is Japanese thus making it a Foriegn car. Foriegn cars are no better or worse than those offered by domestic manufacturers (Excluding Yugo :whistle: ).

The only GM vehicle I can think of that I owned that was a money pit was my ’85 S10 4×4 that had a SBC under the hood. Pretty self expanitory there….

Jon and Willie are also both correct about how a person treats there vehicle. I baby my rides, when something is broken it gets fixed. Yeah, I’m guilty of showing off with them, but when there at home they get first class treatment. Always in the garage, always clean, always maintained. Now days its not uncommon to see GM trucks with well over 200K on them. I’m hopin’ to get 250K out of mine, not just because what I had to pay for it, but because I believe I will get at least that from it. Only got 200K to go…:)

Amigo2k

GM CEO Wagoner to step down at White House request

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/gm_wagoner

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.