We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Your Restoration Tips & Tricks

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I just wanted to start a topic where everyone could post their own tips and tricks for restoration. Some simple things can really save alot of time if you know about them ahead of time.

One tip I have is be sure of what your doing, don’t just assume things. For instance, while helping BIG BLOCK restore the interior of his 71 cutlass we discovered an interesting problem, the perferated holes for the window handles on the rear panels were in the wrong spot. So in other words take it slow and make sure everything lines up.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man
    Quote:
    I just wanted to start a topic where everyone could post their own tips and tricks for restoration. Some simple things can really save alot of time if you know about them ahead of time.

One tip I have is be sure of what your doing, don’t just assume things. For instance, while helping BIG BLOCK restore the interior of his 71 cutlass we discovered an interesting problem, the perferated holes for the window handles on the rear panels were in the wrong spot. So in other words take it slow and make sure everything lines up.

I think one of the reasons for the door panel problem in the Cutlass is that the manufacturer just recently came out with the product. When we restored the interior of my GTO the panels fit perfect. But they had been producing them for years. So pre-measuring can save meny headaches.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

I think one of the reasons for the door panel problem in the Cutlass is that the manufacturer just recently came out with the product. When we restored the interior of my GTO the panels fit perfect. But they had been producing them for years. So pre-measuring can save meny headaches.

Well said!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Folks
    Some of the best restoration’s start with a detailed diassembly.
    Take photo’s, keep a log, invest in boxes and plastic zip bags of all sizes ,
    and a good perminent marker & 3/4 masking tape . and document everything . You will be glad you did. :D

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Hi Folks
    Some of the best restoration’s start with a detailed diassembly.
    Take photo’s, keep a log, invest in boxes and plastic zip bags of all sizes ,
    and a good perminent marker & 3/4 masking tape . and document everything . You will be glad you did. :D

Good tips! Its always so nice to look back on the projects, especially the before and after pictures. Its a great idea like you said to have a step-by-step transformation guide.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys
    yes with rusty cars and rusty memories it is a great idea to write things down . lots of parts start to look the same when you have no idea were they came from . Kinda keeps you from taking things apart somany times.
    Have you ever held a part up and did a 180 with it a few times thinking (now how the heck did that gizmo fit on there) do that a half a dozen times and the hours could add up real quick . Now not so bad for the novice but your customer would not like seeing that on his or her bill at the end of the week. icon_rolleyes.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Hi guys
    yes with rusty cars and rusty memories it is a great idea to write things down . lots of parts start to look the same when you have no idea were they came from . Kinda keeps you from taking things apart somany times.
    Have you ever held a part up and did a 180 with it a few times thinking (now how the heck did that gizmo fit on there) do that a half a dozen times and the hours could add up real quick . Now not so bad for the novice but your customer would not like seeing that on his or her bill at the end of the week. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yep, I’ve done that! Or the other one that happens alot if you’re not careful is, “oh, where does this bolt go?” and it takes you forever to figure it out. Also its really good to label everything so you keep the right and left side stuff seperate.

Anonymous
    Inactive

One thing I have found to be extremely valuable is a magnetic dish for holding all the bolts, nuts, washers, springs, and so forth that are removed during any disassembly process. How many times have we all put these items in a small box, tray, or loose on the floor and then “accidently” bumped the box with your foot sending the items off to never-never land! Of course having size 12 shoes doesn’t help either Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif With the magnetic tray I still at times will bump it but at least I haven’t lost any more parts! The only hard part is finding a “plastic” magnet for the plastic parts icon_cheesygrin.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    One thing I have found to be extremely valuable is a magnetic dish for holding all the bolts, nuts, washers, springs, and so forth that are removed during any disassembly process. How many times have we all put these items in a small box, tray, or loose on the floor and then “accidently” bumped the box with your foot sending the items off to never-never land! Of course having size 12 shoes doesn’t help either Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif With the magnetic tray I still at times will bump it but at least I haven’t lost any more parts! The only hard part is finding a “plastic” magnet for the plastic parts icon_cheesygrin.gif

Yeah those are great! Its nice to have one for the left and right sides as well, to keep everything seperate (like you would with the door panels, ect). Let me know if you can find that plastic one, I’d like to get one too! w00t.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Yeah those are great! Its nice to have one for the left and right sides as well, to keep everything seperate (like you would with the door panels, ect). Let me know if you can find that plastic one, I’d like to get one too! w00t.gif

What I use is an old container with lid. (such as GladWare) I put the pieces in there as I taking them off, and then when I finished doing that I put the lid on and sit it somewhere until I need the parts again.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

What I use is an old container with lid. (such as GladWare) I put the pieces in there as I taking them off, and then when I finished doing that I put the lid on and sit it somewhere until I need the parts again.

Good idea, doesn’t require any fancy equipment.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.