Welcome Forum The Drag Strip 1964 lincoln convertible, tilt steering wheel question

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

This is a long shot but wondering if anyone has ever purchased a tilt wheel/column and installed in a 64 lincoln convertible. If so could you provide details and sources on where this was purchased etc. Car is currently being restored and owner would like regular column replaced with a tilt.

Thanks,
    “LINCOLN”

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum, hope we can help you out!

Amigo2k

I searched a little bit and found that 1968 was the first year Lincolns offered tilt steering wheels. Also 1968 was the first year it was offered in the Ford Galaxie.

The only Ford product I found with tilt in 1964 was the Thunderbird.

Don’t know if it is a bolt up thing.

here is some more info:

The Swing-Away Steering Wheel was first offered on the 1961 Ford Thunderbird at an extra cost of $25.00. It became standard equipment in 1962. It was also offered as an option on full-size 1963-1965 Fords and 1963-1964 Mercurys. The Swing-Away Steering Wheel moved over 9″ when the automatic transmission selector was in “P” to ease driver entry and exit. See also: Tilt-Away Steering Wheel.

The Tilt-Away Steering Wheel combined a Tilt Steering Wheel with a Swing-Away Steering Wheel. The wheel automatically tilted up and to the right when the driver exited the car. The wheel could also be adjusted for tilt at any time. It was standard on the 1967 Thunderbird; optional on the 1967-1968 Mustang and Cougar, and optional on the 1968 Thunderbird. See also: Swing-Away Steering Wheel

Anonymous
    Inactive

One of the major suppliers of aftermarket steering columns for vintage Ford products is a company called Flaming River. If anyone would have specific applications info for a Lincoln, it would be them. I would simply google Flaming River Steering Column.

Marshall

Amigo2k
    montefrazer
    Participant

http://www.ididitinc.com/
    Here is another aftermarket supplier.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.